vrat ke pakore or kuttu ke pakore recipe – these deep fried pakoras or fritters are made with kuttu ka atta or buckwheat flour and mashed potatoes or aloo.
kuttu ke pakore are easy to make and taste delicious. they have a soft and melt in mouth texture from inside unlike the pakoras made from besan or gram flour. since besan is not used during fasting, flours like buckwheat flour, water chestnut flour or amaranth flour is used to make pakoras, halwa, pancakes (chilla) and barfi.
coarsely crushed peanuts and dry pomegranate powder (anardana powder) are also added to the pakora mixture. the batter has to be thick like a thick cake batter or a thick idli batter. if you make it like the regular pakora batter or even of medium consistency, the pakoras split and break while frying. they also absorb a lot of oil. the consistency should be such, that you can easily shape the pakoras with your hands.
you can serve the vrat ke pakore with phalahari chutney, coconut chutney, tamarind chutney or homemade tomato sauce which has no chemical preservatives added to it. since i had made these pakoras on a regular day, i served with tomato sauce.
these kuttu ke pakoras can also be made with water chestnut flour or amaranth flour. you can even mix buckwheat flour (kuttu ka atta) with water chestnut flour (singhare ka atta) in 1:1 proportion. few more snacks which you can make for fasting days are sabudana bhel, sukhi arbi, arbi tikkis and sweet potato tikki.
you can also check this compiled list of navratri fasting recipes. in addition to this, i have made one more list of ingredients and food allowed for navratri fast. i hope this will be helpful to people who want to observe navrati vrat.
vrat ke pakore or kuttu pakora recipe below:
- 3 to 4 medium potatoes/aloo
- 5 tbsp kuttu ka atta/buckwheat flour
- 2 tbsp peanuts/mungphali
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 or 1.5 tsp dry pomegranate seeds/ anardana
- ½ tsp cumin powder/jeera powder
- approx ¾ to 1 cup water or as required
- oil for deep or shallow frying
- rock salt or sendha namak as required
- boil potatoes.
- peel and mash them well.
- add the buckwheat flour and mix in the mashed potatoes
- roast peanuts in a small pan till crisp and browned.
- remove and keep aside.
- in the same pan, roast the pomegranate seeds on a low flame for a minute.
- in a mortar-pestle, coarsely powder the roasted peanuts, pomegranate seeds and the green chilies.
- add this mixture to the potatoes and mix well.
- add cumin powder and rock salt.
- add little water in intervals and keep on mixing till you get a very very thick batter.
- it should be thicker than idli batter. its almost the consistency of a thick potato puree.
- mix well.
- heat oil for deep frying in a kadai or pan.
- shape small balls from your hands or with a help of a 1 tablespoon, drop the batter in hot oil.
- fry till the pakoras are golden and crisp.
- drain the kuttu pakoras on paper napkins to remove excess oil.
- serve kuttu pakoras hot with phalahari chutney or homemade tomato sauce.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media