arbi curry or arbi masala – one curry recipe which is made during navratri vrat. arbi is the hindi word for colocasia or taro root.
this arbi curry is a light north indian curry that is usually had with some swang ke chawal / tiny round rice like millet specially meant for fasting or with kuttu ki roti – rotis made from buckwheat flour. you can also have it with other fasting recipes like rajgira paratha or singhare ki poori or rajgire ki poori.
we also make the same curry with potatoes. so if you do not have or get taro roots, you can make the same curry with boiled potatoes.
this is a satwik recipe and is no onion no garlic like all fasting or vrat recipes.
so if you like arbi then you check some more fasting recipes made from arbi on the links mentioned below:
- dahi arbi – colocasia roots simmered in thin yogurt gravy
- sukhi arbi – crispy fried colocasia roots
- dahi wali arbi – skp adding onions & garlic
arbi curry recipe details below:
arbi curry recipe | arbi masala recipe
arbi curry or arbi masala recipe - light north indian curry made with colocasia or taro root.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
main ingredients for arbi curry:
- 10 to 12 arbi or colocasia roots
- ½ teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups water
- salt as required
- some mint leaves and coriander leaves for garnishing
for making the paste:
- 3 medium size tomatoes
- 1 green chili (hari mirch)
- ½ inch ginger (adrak)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (jeera)
how to make recipe
- wash the arbi well.
- pressure cook the arbi till cooked.
- drain and let the arbi cool.
- when warm or cool, peel the skin and slice the arbi in to 2 or 4 pieces vertically.
- grind all the ingredients mentioned for making the paste to a smooth paste.
- heat oil.
- add the carom seeds and fry them.
- then add the tomato paste.
- stir and add all the spice powders one by one.
- fry the tomato paste till the oil separates.
- this will take about 6-7 minutes.
- then add water, rock salt and the boiled arbi pieces,
- simmer for some 6-7 minutes till the gravy becomes smooth and thickens a little bit.
- garnish with mint or coriander leaves and serve arbi curry hot.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe