roasted makhana recipe – makhana or phool makhana or lotus seeds is an ingredient i have seen often living in india. i have had makhana kheer before and also had the roasted makhana many times. we also make sabzi with makhana.
i have also seen makhana being served as prashad. if you have tasted the makhana with prashad then they are soft. but when you roast them, they become crisp and crunchy like popcorn. but i must say that they are much healthier option than popcorn.
in india, apart from roasting the makhana, there are many recipes where makhana is added. few such makhana recipes shared on blog are –
makhana is rich in calcium, protein, carbohydrates, phosphorous, iron, thiamine and zinc. makhana have a neutral taste. you can spice it up the way you want. just roast them and when they are cool, store in an air-tight container. anytime you want a light and nutritious snack, just have the roasted makhana.
we generally use makhana during fasting as it makes for a good vrat or fasting food. its light on the stomach and nutritious too. in the below pic are the unroasted makhana and straight from the jar.
if you want to know more about makhana or phool makhana – it also known as fox nut or eurayle ferox. basically a floating water lily plant native to eastern asia. the plant grows in water. the plant’s white seeds are edible. the plant is cultivated for its seeds in india, china and japan. in china the plant has been cultivated for 3000 years and the seeds are used in traditional chinese medicine. as makhana is harvested in stagnant wetlands, no fertilizers or pesticides are used in the entire cultivation. thus making these naturally organic. source – wikipedia
these roasted makhana or foxnuts make for a good in between lunch snacks or evening snack. they can be had with tea or coffee in the evenings. i always spice them up with indian spices. i still have to try adding other spices or herbs. what to do, we love our chaat masala and they way it perks up everything that it is added to, including these roasted makhana.
if you are looking for more fasting recipes then do check:
roasted makhana recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 3 cups makhana (phool makhana or foxnuts or lotus seeds)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder) or add as required
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala or add as required
- rock salt as required
- 2 to 3 teaspoon oil or ghee
how to make roasted makhana recipe
making roasted makhana recipe
- heat oil in a pan or kadai.
- add the makhana and roast for a good 10-12 minutes on a low flame till they become crisp and crunchy. keep on stirring in between.
- lastly add all the spice powders and salt, except chaat masala.
- switch off the fire as you don't want the spice powders to get burnt.
- stir the whole mixture well.
- lastly sprinkle the chaat masala powder and again mix well.
- serve roasted makhana straightaway.
- or once they cool down, store roasted makhana in an air-tight container.