We’ve all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so I’ve gone ahead and done the hard work for you! Here’s a list of over 100 delightful breakfast recipes spanning both Indian and Global Cuisine.
So whether you’re in need of a quick meal on the go or you’re looking for something special to serve this weekend; whether you wake up craving something sweet or you lean more towards something savory, there’s sure to be something here for everyone!
Table of Contents
The Importance of a Balanced Breakfast
Breakfast gets its name from the purpose it serves: breaking the fast we put our bodies through every night after eating our last meal of the day. As such, it is important to reach for foods that can act as a fuel to power us through our days.
There have been many studies done illustrating the importance of eating a healthy breakfast, with positive outcomes ranging from decreased incidence of heart disease, preventing blood sugar spikes in people with diabetes, improved immune system response, better cognitive function and even a healthy BMI (Body Mass Index).
So there you have it: there’s no reason to skip breakfast, especially when there are so many delicious options out there!
Tips for Eating a Healthy Breakfast
It is important to note, however, that not all breakfast foods are created equal. Reaching for a sugary donut, say, is not the same as starting your day off with a bowl of cozy poha or a plate of protein-packed tomato omelette.
Ensuring that your first meal has a balanced amount of macronutrients (carbohydrates, proteins and fats) and is rich in vitamins and minerals may seem overwhelming, but the practice is actually quite simple:
- Opt for whole grains over refined flours – They retain more fiber, protein and nutrients than all purpose varieties.
- Choose fruits and/or veggies with lots of color – The natural colors of foods demonstrate different phytonutrients. For example, orange foods like carrots or sweet potatoes are high in beta carotene, while purple and blue foods are loaded with anthocyanins. Try and eat the rainbow!
- Stay away from excessive amounts of sugar and sodium – this is so much easier when you make your own meals! Processed foods are loaded with sugar, salt and unhealthy fats as a way to hook us, not to mention the artificial preservatives and colors they add.
Don’t feel tied to eating “typical” breakfast foods either – there are plenty of egg free, dairy free and grain free options to choose from!
Easy Healthy Breakfast Recipes
Whether you prefer your breakfast cold and sweet like my chia pudding or warm and cozy like my oatmeal porridge, these nutritious recipes are sure to fill your tank in more ways than one.
Tips for Making Breakfast Easier
If you are not a natural morning person, there are a few things you can do to make eating breakfast a reasonable feat:
- Make it ahead of time! You can make your own pancakes and waffles to keep in the freezer; just pop one in the toaster oven for a quick treat. Grab and go options like chia pudding or overnight oats are excellent for commuting. I even have a recipe for Idli Dosa Mix. If you simply don’t feel like eating so early in the morning, prepping smoothie packs to keep in the freezer is a great idea; that way you can sip your way to health!
- Make something irresistible. There’s no better way to awaken the childlike excitement than the prospect of waking up to something totally scrumptious.
- Plan on sharing with someone you love! Accountability buddies are a proven way of changing behavior in a fun and positive way. Variations can include:
1: Hosting brunch for friends or family.
2: Doing a breakfast potluck at work.
3: Eating breakfast with your entire family in the morning.
Make it a moment of mindfulness. Put down the screens and take a few minutes to focus on the moment. Think about the colors, textures, smells and flavors you’re experiencing.
Think about the good that you are doing for your body by eating this nutritious breakfast, and, in turn, think about the value of taking care of yourself for the sake of your loved ones. Take a moment of peace and gratitude – I promise it’ll start your day on a happier, healthier note.
Popular Indian Breakfast Recipes
Lacy, thin dosa; warm and comforting poha; wholesome and filling upma; dozens of carb-y, delicious parathas – Indians know how to do breakfast right.
If you’re new to Indian cuisine, prepare yourself for some serious yumminess, featuring many different types of breads, grains, stews and porridges. Whether you’re in the mood for something sweet or savory, mild or fiery – you’ve come to the right place.
North Indian Food
South Indian Food
As Seen In: