aloo tamatar sabzi recipe with step by step photos – potato tomato curry made without onion-garlic and heavy ingredients or spices. this is a very easy and simple aloo tamatar sabzi which you can make for navratri fasting or any other fasting days.
potatoes are very friendly and handy vegetables for home cooks. they are good on their own or in company with other vegetables… be it with spinach, peas, carrots, fenugreek, beans, cauliflower, capsicum or tomatoes.
usually aloo tamatar sabzi is made to go with pooris and is often made for breakfast. but in that dish we use onions and garlic. since this dish was made for navratri fasting, i have spiced with cumin, red chilli powder and black pepper powder.
aloo tamatar sabzi recipe below:
aloo tamatar sabzi recipe | potato tomato curry recipe | aloo tamatar recipe
aloo tamatar ki sabzi recipe - easy lightly spiced curry made with potatoes and tomatoes.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 2 medium potatoes OR 1 extra large potato (aloo)
- 4 to 5 medium tomatoes (tamatar)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder) or cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch powder)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon oil OR ½ tablespoon ghee
- a few coriander leaves for garnishing (dhania patta)
- rock salt as required (sendha namak)
how to make recipe
add 1.25 to 1.5 cups water in a pressure cooker or pan. add 2 potatoes and some rock salt or sendha namak. boil the potatoes till done.
the potatoes should be just cooked. they should not become crumbly.
allow the potatoes to cool down slightly, then peel the potatoes.
dice the potatoes.
making aloo tamatar sabzi recipe
heat the oil or ghee in a pan.
add 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds and let them crackle.
then add 4-5 medium chopped tomatoes.
saute till they become soft.
you will see the oil leaving the sides.
then add 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and sendha namak or rock salt as required.
add the chopped potatoes and stir again.
add 1 cup water.
stir and let the potato tomato curry cook for 7-8 minutes or more on a low flame, till it thickens slightly.
mash a few potato pieces with a spoon in the curry, to help in thickening the gravy.
garnish with coriander leaves.
serve the aloo tamatar sabzi with vrat ki roti or singhare ke poori or rajgire ki poori.
how to make aloo tamatar sabzi recipe:
1. add 1.25 to 1.5 cups water in a pressure cooker or pan. add 2 potatoes and some rock salt or sendha namak. boil the potatoes till done. the potatoes should be just cooked. they should not become crumbly.
3. keep all the ingredients ready for making aloo tamatar sabzi recipe.
4. heat ½ tablespoon oil or ghee in a pan.
5. add 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds and let them splutter.
6. then add 4-5 medium sized tomatoes (chopped).
7. saute till they become soft.
8. you will see the oil leaving the sides.
10. mix well.
14. slightly mash a few potato pieces with a spoon in the curry, to help in thickening the gravy.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe