banana chips recipe – easy and simple homemade tasty banana chips made from raw unripe bananas.
these banana chips are good tea time snacks or any time snack when you want to munch something, while reading a book or enjoying the monsoon rains. i generally like to have some homemade snacks at home for this purpose. i already have similar snack recipes on my blog like:
these banana chips can also be had in fasting or vrat during the navratri festival. before the fasting period starts, you can just make a good batch and store in an air-tight container. these are fried, so obviously they will be loaded with calories.
tips for making banana chips
- i have sliced the banana with a mandoline in a bowl of water first. the slices are kept in the water, so that they don’t darken. i then drained them batch by batch, wiped them dry with clean kitchen towels and then fried. you can also directly slice the banana in the oil and fry. though this requires some practice.
- also, you really need to make these slices thin, so i would suggest using a slicer which slices very thinly.
- while frying, don’t add too much of the slices and don’t overcrowd. the slices stick to each other and don’t become crisp. so you have to fry in batches.
- i have seasoned the banana chips with black pepper & salt. though you can use red chili powder or your own choice of herbs and spices.
- these banana chips can be baked too. however, i did not have great results with baked banana or potato chips. so i got back to the old method of frying them.
keep in mind, that your fingers will also blacken when slicing the raw banana, but thats a small price you have to pay to enjoy these homemade banana chips.
i did not throw the banana peels. i soaked them in water and kept in the fridge. the next day i made a really really good banana peel thoran with them. so whenever you use raw banana, you don’t need to throw the peels. you can make a nice stir fried dish or sabzi with them.
INGREDIENTS FOR banana chips
- 4 medium sized raw bananas
- 3 to 4 cups water
- salt as required
- freshly crushed black pepper as required
- oil for deep frying
HOW TO MAKE banana chips
preparing banana chips slices
- peel one banana first.
- pour the water in a bowl.
- using a mandoline slicer, slice the banana directly into a bowl of water. so that the slices fall in the water.
- take another banana and slice in the same way. slice the rest of the banana in a similar way.
- heat oil for deep frying in a kadai or wok.
- remove some of the banana slices from the bowl of water and dry them with clean kitchen towels or napkins.
frying banana chips
- when the oil is medium hot, add the slices and fry on medium heat. don't overcrowd.
- stir with a slotted spoon so that the slices don't stick to each other.
- fry till you see the sizzling & bubbles in the oil becoming less and less and almost disappear.
- the slices would have changed color and become crisp also.
- remove the fried banana chips with slotted spoon and then drain on paper towels.
- when they are cooled, immediately place them in an airtight jar or a container and cover the lid tightly.
- fry the remaining raw slices in batches in similar manner.
- when all the banana chips are done and inside the jar, then sprinkle salt and pepper in the jar. shake the jar.
- serve the banana chips whenever you or your family wants them.