kuttu ki khichdi or buckwheat khichdi recipe with step by step photos – yet another easy and quick navratri fasting recipe.
generally we use buckwheat flour to make rotis or pooris during navratri. this time i managed to get buckwheat groats from the organic section of a super store. i first had buckwheat groats in goa and was surprised to know these were available there too and that too from a local shop. may be as the place where we lived were frequented by russian and european tourists, hence due to demand these were available.
after taking an instant liking to the steamed buckwheat, i did make it a few times instead of rice and we liked its nutty flavor and taste. when we shifted, i could not get buckwheat in the local shops and so when i spotted these groats in the super store here, i had to buy them.
buckwheat is grown locally in india and is a super food. buckwheat is not a cereal grain but a fruit seed. they are gluten free as well. thus making them an excellent substitute for people having gluten allergy. they are rich in fibre and high in protein. more health benefits and nutrition info about buckwheat here.
buckwheat is also called as kuttu in hindi, kutto in gujarati and papparai in tamil. these triangular shaped buckwheat groats have a light brown greenish color and have their outer husk removed. they are soft seeds and when you soak them in water, they become gelatinous. if you want a mushy texture, then you just need to cook the buckwheat in water, they way we cook rice. if you want a separate rice like texture, then roast or saute the buckwheat and then cook them in rice.
the idea of making this khichdi is from tarla dalal which is made similar to sabudana khichdi. i have made my own changes to the method of preparation and the ingredients used. for 1 cup of buckwheat i used 2 cups of water and the result was a soft and well cooked buckwheat groats. buckwheat is warming and so is best had in cold seasons. the warmth from the buckwheat can also be balanced by serving it with a cooling yogurt raita.
i often cook buckwheat just like rice or make this khichdi. during this navratri, i have already made the khichdi thrice. i have not yet tried making any other recipe with buckwheat. now that i get them easily, i will try making some more interesting recipes with them. you can also check samvat rice khichdi and vrat ke chawal ka pulao.
i served the buckwheat khichdi with a bowl of yogurt. it will also go well with vrat ki kadhi.
if you are looking for more fasting recipes then do check:
buckwheat khichdi recipe card below:
kuttu ki khichdi recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 2 tablespoon raw peanuts (moongphali)
- 1 tablespoon ghee or 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 green chili (hari mirch) - chopped
- ½ inch ginger (adrak) - finely chopped
- 2 medium potatoes chopped in small cubes
- 1 cup kuttu (buckwheat or buckwheat groats)
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sugar or organic unrefined cane sugar
- rock salt as required (sendha namak or upwas ka namak)
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- lemon juice or as required - optional
how to make kuttu ki khichdi recipe
preparation for kuttu ki khichdi recipe:
- roast peanuts in a frying pan or tava till they become crunchy and golden. let them cool.
- remove and make a coarse powder of them in a mortar-pestle or in a coffee grinder. keep the powdered peanuts aside.
- pick and then rinse the buckwheat a few times in water and keep aside.
making kuttu ki khichdi recipe:
- heat ghee or oil in a pan or pot. add the cumin and saute till they crackle.
- then add the green chili and ginger and saute for a few seconds.
- add the potato cubes and saute for 2 to 3 minutes till the potatoes become crisp from the edges. stir often. its better to chop the potatoes in smaller cubes, so that they cook faster.
- add the ground peanuts and saute for half a minute. later add the rinsed buckwheat. stir well and saute for 1 to 2 mins.
- add the water, sugar, salt.
- stir and cover the pan and allow the buckwheat to simmer on a low flame.
- cook till all the water is absorbed and the buckwheat has cooked well.
- add coriander leaves and give a final stir.
- serve buckwheat khichdi hot or warm drizzled with lemon juice.
stepwise buckwheat khichdi or kuttu ki khichdi recipe:
1. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making buckwheat khichdi.
2. in a frying pan or tava, roast 2 tablespoon raw peanuts (moongphali) till they become crunchy and golden.
3. let them cool. remove and make a coarse powder of them in a mortar-pestle or in a coffee grinder.
4. keep the powdered peanuts aside.
5. pick and then rinse 1 cup of (buckwheat or buckwheat groats) few times in water.
6. drain the water and keep aside.
7. heat 1 tablespoon ghee or peanut oil in a pan or pot.
8. add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera) and saute till they crackle.
9. then add 1 chopped green chili and ½ inch finely chopped ginger.
10. saute for a few seconds.
11. add 2 medium sized potatoes which are chopped into small cubes.
12. stirring often saute the potatoes. its better to chop the potatoes in smaller cubes, so that they cook faster.
13. saute for 2 to 3 minutes till the potatoes become crisp from the edges.
14. then add the ground peanuts.
15. saute for 30 seconds.
16. then add the rinsed kuttu (buckwheat).
17. stir well and saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
18. add 2 cups water.
19. next add 1 teaspoon sugar and rock salt or sendha namak as required.
20. stir very well.
21. cover the pan and allow the buckwheat khichdi to simmer on a low flame.
22. cook till all the water is absorbed and the buckwheat has cooked well.
23. add 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta).
24. mix well.
25. lastly drizzle lemon juice (optional).
26. serve buckwheat khichdi hot or warm.