Potato chips recipe with step by step photos – healthy, tasty and crisp oven baked potato chips or potato wafers.
Potato chips is a favorite with many folks. we also like fried potato chips, but at times one just want to snack on healthy and less oily stuff. I usually make potato chips at home both fried as well as baked. Not that we don’t buy ready-made chips from the market. I do buy that on occasions.
This recipe is a Healthy alternative for the fried potato chips. some prep work is required. So make these once you are free from all your chores. I also make Sun dried potato chips in a similar way. Just that oil is not added to them and they are dried in the sun or shade instead of baked.
Suggestion for making potato chips
- If you want you can season these crisp potato wafers with your favorite herbs and spices. we prefer the classic plain salted potato chips.
- You can make these potato chips for Navratri fasting also but use rock salt (sendha namak) instead of regular salt.
- Frying potato chips – you can even fry the potato chips instead of baking them. While deep frying just make sure that there is no moisture in the potato chips slices after blanching. So wipe and dry them with a clean kitchen towel or paper napkins. While frying oil should be sufficiently hot so that the potato chips do not soak much oil and stay crisp.
- Slice the potato thinly as thin potato slices make the best potato chips.
- These potato chips can also be air fried.
If you are looking for more snacks recipes then you may like:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
ingredients for potato chips
- 3 large potatoes or 550 grams potatoes
- 3 cups water + 1 teaspoon salt for immersing potatoes
- 6 to 7 cups water + 1 teaspoon salt for boiling
materials needed for making potato chips
- 2 large bowls
- 1 mandoline slicer
- 1 large baking tray
- colander or strainer
blanching potatoes to make potato chips
- In a bowl take 3 cups water + 1 tsp salt. Stir so that the salt dissolves.
- Now peel and slice potatoes using a mandoline or a slicer directly in the bowl containing water.
- Slice all the potatoes and immerse them in the water.
- Then in a pot or pan, on a high flame bring to a rolling boil 6 to 7 cups water + 1 tsp salt.
- Drain the potatoes from the bowl and add them to the boiling water.
- Blanch the potatoes for 3 to 4 minutes on the full flame.
- Then switch off the flame, cover the pot and allow the potatoes to be immersed in water for 3 to 4 minutes.
- The potatoes should look translucent.
preparing potato chips slices
- Drain the potatoes well in a colander or strainer.
- Then add all the slices in a bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp oil and 1/2 tsp salt or add as required. Gently mix very well so that the oil coats the potato slices evenly. You can also add 2 tbsp oil.
- Then place them in a lightly oiled baking tray keeping 1/2 cm space in between the slices.
baking potato chips
- Bake potato chips in a preheated oven at 250 degrees celsius for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Do keep a check as oven temperatures vary. I baked potato chips in batches since I have small oven.
- Once they look crisp and are light golden to golden, then remove from the oven.
- As soon as they are cooled, store potato chips in an air-tigh jar or box. They get cooled within a minute.
- Serve potato chips when required.
- Instead of baking you can also fry the potato chips.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
Preparation to make potato chips
1. in a bowl take 3 cups water + 1 tsp salt. Stir so that the salt dissolves.
2. Rinse the potatoes first. Then peel and slice potatoes using a mandoline or a slicer directly in the bowl containing water. I used 3 large potatoes weighing 550 grams. About 20 ounces. You have to use a mandoline or a slicer for slicing the potatoes. The slices have to be thin. Don’t slice with knife as thick slices do not become crisp when baked, but still they taste good.
3. slice all the potatoes and immerse them in the water. They should remain immersed in the salted water.
4. then in a pot or pan, on a high flame bring to a rolling boil 6 to 7 cups water + 1 tsp salt.
5. drain the potatoes from the bowl and add them to the boiling water.
6. blanch the potatoes for 3 to 4 minutes on high flame.
7. then switch off the flame, cover the pot and allow the potatoes to be immersed in water for 3 to 4 minutes.
8. the potatoes appear translucent after the blanching process is over.
Preparing potato chips slices
9. drain the potatoes well in a colander or strainer.
10. then add all the slices in a bowl.
11. add 1 tbsp oil and ½ tsp salt or add as required.
12. gently mix very well so that the oil coats the potato slices evenly. You can also add 2 tbsp oil.
Baking potato chips
13. then place them in a lightly oiled baking tray keeping ½ cm space in between the slices. Bake potato chips in a preheated oven at 250 degrees celsius/480 degrees fahrenheit for 10 to 15 minutes. Do keep a check as oven temperatures vary. I baked in batches since I have a small oven. If baking in batches, then no need to brush oil on the baking tray again. High temperatures work best as when I have baked these at lower temperatures, they did not have the light crisp texture in them.
14. once they look crisp and are light golden to golden, then remove potato chips from the oven. As soon as they are cooled, store the potato wafers in an air-tight jar or box. They get cooled within a minute. You can make them more golden if you want.
Serve these crisp, thin and light baked potato chips when required. you can also sprinkle some salt from above if you feel the chips are less salted.