Vermicelli kheer recipe With step by step photos. Seviyan kheer also known as vermicelli kheer Is a must at any festival at our place. Making vermicelli kheer is very easy and does not take much time. This is an easy recipe to make seviyan kheer And gets done in 20 minutes.
Generally when we make seviyan kheer, we only add cardamom powder. But in this recipe, I have used cloves and saffron strands which have been inspired from a cook book. Both are optional and can be skipped. But both the cloves and saffron do added their subtle fragrance to the kheer.
For the seviyan aka vermicelli, I have used whole wheat thin vermicelli. as far as nuts & dry fruits are concerned you can add your choice of nuts & dry fruits. I have added almond slivers, chopped cashews and golden raisins.
A South Indian variation to this kheer is semiya payasam. You check the recipe here – Semiya payasam.
If you are allergic to dairy or are a vegan then you can have a look at this Vegan vermicelli kheer made with cashew and almond milk.
You can serve vermicelli kheer hot or warm or chilled. Leftover kheer can be refrigerated and served later.
How to make vermicelli kheer
1: heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a heavy kadai or pan.
2. Add 3 cloves. Fry for 2 to 3 seconds.
3. Add broken seviyan or vermicelli.
4. Stir and continuously roast 1 cup seviyan on a low to medium-low flame. stir often while roasting semiya for even browning.
5. Roast on a medium flame till the seviyan strands turn golden brown.
Making vermicelli kheer
6: pour 4 cups milk (1 litre) in the pan. milk can be chilled, hot or at room temperature. For thicker kheer, add less milk.
7. Mix very well.
8. Simmer milk on a low to medium-low flame. Stir occasionally so that the milk or seviyan does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
9. Let the milk come to a boil.
10. once the milk comes to a boil, then add 7 to 8 tablespoons sugar.
11. Mix very well so that all the sugar dissolves.
12. Next add 10 to 12 saffron strands. mix and stir.
13. next add 1 tablespoons of sliced almonds and 1 tablespoon chopped cashews. mix well.
14. Then add 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder.
15. Mix well.
16. Also add some dried rose petals. This step is optional. Skip if you do not have dried rose petals.
17. Mix well.
18. cook the vermicelli kheer mixture for 3 to 4 minutes more till the vermicelli gets cooked and the milk thickens. when the vermicelli has softened and cooked well, the kheer will also thicken and look creamy. do scrape the sides of the kadai where milk solids will be collected and add them to the vermicelli kheer
19. Switch off flame and then 1 tablespoons raisins. Mix again. Check the taste of seviyan kheer and if required you can add some more sugar.
20. Serve the vermicelli kheer hot, warm or chilled. you can garnish with some chopped nuts or dried rose petals while serving. Do note that on cooling the kheer will thicken.
More Kheer recipes
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you want more delicious vegetarian Indian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 3 cloves - optional
- 1 cup seviyan (broken vermicelli or semiya)
for making vermicelli kheer
- 1 litre milk or 4 cups milk
- 7 to 8 tablespoons sugar - add more or less for your preferred sweetness
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 tablespoon almond slivers or almond slices
- 1 tablespoon chopped cashews - chopped (optional)
- 4 to 5 dried rose petals - optional
- 10 to 12 saffron strands - optional
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins
- Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a heavy kadai or pan. add 3 cloves. Fry for 2 to 3 seconds.
- Add the broken seviyan or vermicelli.
- Stir and continuously roast seviyan on a low to medium-low flame.
- Roast till the seviyan strands turn golden brown.
making vermicelli kheer
- Reduce the flame to its lowest and slowly pour milk in the pan. mix very well.
- Simmer milk on a low to medium-low flame. Stir ocassionally so that the milk or seviyan does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Let the milk come to a boil. once the milk comes to a boil, then add 7 to 8 tablespoons sugar or as per taste.
- Mix very well so that all the sugar dissolves.
- Next add 10 to 12 saffron strands. mix and stir.
- Next add 1 tablespoons of sliced almonds and 1 tablespoon chopped cashews. Mix well.
- Then add ½ teaspoon cardamom powder.
- Also add 4 to 5 dried rose petals. This step is optional. Skip if you do not have dried rose petals.
- Cook the vermicelli kheer mixture for 4 to 5 minutes more till the seviyan gets cooked and the milk thickens. When the seviyan has softened and cooked well, the kheer will also thicken and look creamy.
- Switch off flame and then 1 tablespoons raisins. Mix again. Check the taste of vermicelli kheer and if required you can add some more sugar.
- Serve the vermicelli kheer hot, warm or chilled. You can garnish with some chopped nuts or dried rose petals while Serving. Do note that on cooling the kheer will thicken.
Few tips for semiya kheer
- The recipe can be easily doubled or tripled.
- Use good quality & fresh full fat milk.
- The amount of vermicelli can be decreased or increased. If you add more seviyan the consistency will be much thicker like a thick pudding. You can go for the kheer consistency as per your liking.
- Dry fruits can be added as per your choice. You can also add some rose water to the seviyan kheer.
- When cooled the seviyan kheer tends to be thick. So if you don't like thick semiya kheer then don't thicken the milk. Alternatively you can add some more milk to the seviyan kheer.
- Addition of cloves, saffron and rose petals is optional in this semiya kheer.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.