Channa sundal is a South Indian stir fried dish made with white chickpeas. sundal is basically a dry legume-lentil preparation spiced, tempered along with fresh coconut.
You can make sundal with many legumes and lentils like moong beans, peanuts, black eyed peas, chickpeas, corn etc.
Few such sundal recipes are
- Pattani peas sundal – made with green peas.
- Rajma sundal – made with red kidney beans.
- Konda kadalai sundal – made with black chickpeas.
- Kadalai paruppu sundal – made with chana dal or husked and split bengal gram.
- Sweet corn sundal – made with corn or makai.
Sundal recipes are prepared during Vinayaka Chaturthi or janmashtami puja or Navratri fasting in south India.
They are very easy to prepare and make for a healthy brunch or snack. Since they are quick to prepare, they can also be served as a side dish.
I usually soak the beans, overnight and then pressure cook them. Once they are cooked soft, its just easy to temper them and add some fresh coconut. This is also a no onion no garlic recipe.
This chickpea sundal is so good with the aroma & flavor of mustard, black gram, curry leaves and the freshness of the coconut in the softly cooked chickpeas….. That it can be just had on its own without any accompaniments.
Few more chana recipes for you!
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
- 1 cup dried white chickpeas (chole or safed chana)
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal (spilt skinned black gram)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 2 dry red chilies
- 10 to 12 curry leaves
- 2 to 3 tablespoon fresh grated coconut
- salt as required
- Rinse and soak the chickpeas overnight in enough water.
- Drain and pressure cook the soaked chickpeas with 1 tsp salt and 3 to 4 cups water till they are cooked till soft.
- Drain and keep aside.
making channa sundal
- Heat oil in a pan. add the mustard and urad dal.
- The mustard seeds will crackle and the urad dal will get browned.
- They almost take the same time to cook on a low flame.
- Immediately, add the curry leaves, red chilies and asafoetida. Fry for 10-15 seconds.
- Now add the cooked chickpeas and salt. Stir and saute for 4-5 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- Switch off the flame and add the coconut. stir well.
- Serve the channa sundal as prashad or naivedyam.
- This recipe can be doubled.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.