Top 20 Indian dinner recipes – sharing a collection of 20 Indian main course recipes from the blog.
Main course meals are had during lunch and dinners. Though we can have a light dinner, but one should always have a proper breakfast and good lunch. I am sharing a collection of some recipes that can be made for lunch or dinner. The idea is not just to share the recipe, but you will also get ideas based on the collection and can try or make some other recipe not posted here.
I have included both North Indian and South Indian dinner recipes. In north India usually different types of sabzi or gravy recipes are made for dinner and served with roti or phulka. However rajma chawal and kadhi chawal are two popular rice recipes which are made for dinner. for some recipes like chole or chana masala, you do need to do some prep work beforehand like soaking the chickpeas or for kadhi, you need to set the curd overnight before preparing. So do plan accordingly.
In south India apart from chapathi, various rice dishes are also made for lunch and dinner. There are a variety of rice recipes popular in south India like:
These rice recipes can be had alone as a dinner or lunch or they can also be served in small quantities along with other dishes. E.g when I make steamed rice with Rasam then I also make some dry sabzi like Carrot poriyal or Vendakkai poriyal to go along with it.
You can also check these popular recipes collections:
Top 20 lunch or dinner recipes
1. Veg biryani – there are many varieties of biryani made in India. an authentic veg biryani is always slow cooked on dum. this cooking on dum gives the biriyani its uniqueness and originality. This is how the biryani has the beautiful medley of the aromas, flavors and tastes caused by the blending of the ingredients used in making it.
2. Rajma chawal – rajma masala or rajma chawal is one of the regulars at any Punjabi house for lunch or dinner. Mostly its made on weekends. This is a simple and easy one pot Punjabi rajma curry or kidney beans curry that goes well with rice or rotis.
3. Bisi bele bath – bisibelebath recipe is a delicious and healthy complete meal of rice, lentils and vegetables. Bisi bele bath is one of the popular recipe from the Karnataka cuisine which you can make for dinner or lunch.
4. Chana masala – there are many ways chickpeas curries are made in regional Indian cuisine. this chana masala is made with freshly powdered spices, onions, tomatoes, herbs making the chana taste like the ones you get on the streets of Delhi. Chana masala is relished with poori or rice or roti or paratha or Naan or Kulcha.
5. Paneer butter masala – an easy, quick and delicious recipe of paneer butter masala. This is one the most popular cottage cheese curry served in most Indian restaurants and is also made for special occasions.
6. Kadhi chawal – a very popular North Indian dinner recipe of Punjabi kadhi pakora. Fried onion pakoras in a creamy & sour yogurt sauce. The kadhi is either served with rice or with roti or phulka.
7. Masala dosa – there are many popular varieties of dosa made in south India like Rava dosa, Neer dosa and Set dosa. they are usually had with Coconut chutney and sambar. You can have dosa any time of the day. From breakfast to lunch to dinner. They are healthy and taste very good. this masala dosa recipe will give you a restaurant style masala dosa, where the dosa is crisp and served with a delicious potato masala.
8. Dal makhani – this is one of the most popular dal recipe made in north India with whole urad dal and rajma. this dal makhani recipe is restaurant style and tastes awesome. If you love authentic Punjabi food then you are going to love this dal makhani even more.
9. Vangi bath – delicious recipe of spiced brinjal rice from the Karnataka cuisine. vangi bath is popular both in the Maharashtrian and Karnataka cuisine. Both the regional recipes taste different as some of the ingredients and the spices that go into preparing them are different.
10. Palak paneer – smooth creamy palak paneer made with fresh spinach leaves, paneer, onions, herbs and spices.
11. Veg pulao – vegetable pulao is a one pot dish made with rice and vegetables. Some spices and herbs are also added to give pulao more flavor and taste. There are many varieties of pulao made in regional Indian cuisine like:
12. Kadala curry – spicy black chickpeas curry from the Kerala cuisine. the combo of kadala curry with Puttu or Appam is too good. You can also serve it with Idiyappam or with steamed rice, chapatis. You can also check this Kala chana masala which is made in north India.
13. Tamarind rice – popular South Indian recipe of a tangy, sour & spiced rice. The recipe dish is also known as puliyodharai in tamil language.
14. Chana dal – there are many recipes made with chana dal all over India. In bengal the combo of Cholar dal with Luchi is very popular. In south India chana dal is used in making many delicious recipes like Dal vada or Chana dal payasam. this is a Punjabi style chana dal recipe which is tempered & flavored with Indian spices.
15. Bhindi masala – a semi dry lightly spiced Punjabi bhindi masala made with okra, onions and tomatoes.
16. Sambar recipe – sambar is a South Indian lentil and vegetable stew made with lentils, tamarind and a unique spice blend called sambar powder. Sambar is served With steamed rice, Idli, dosa or Medu vada or Uttapam. you can vary the consistency of sambhar and serve it with whatever dish you are making like idli or dosa or rice. some well known sambar varieties are:
- Drumstick sambar – made with drumsticks
- Arachuvitta sambar – sambar made with ground paste of roasted coconut and spices
- Idli sambar – sambar for idli, medu vada and dosa.
- Sambar rice – a medley of sambar and rice together
17. Veg kurma – delicious South Indian style kurma recipe made with mixed veggies, coconut and spices. Korma or kurma is a gravy based dish and is served with chapatis, pooris or steamed rice. Few more popular kurma recipes you can make for main course are:
18. Matar paneer – spiced and creamy curry made with peas and cottage cheese. matar paneer is one of the popular paneer recipe made in north India for lunch or dinner.
19. Dal fry – popular Indian dal recipe made with pigeon pea lentils. Dal fry is usually prepared with arhar dal also known as tur, toovar or yellow lentils. You can also use masoor dal or moong dal to make this recipe. both dal fry and Dal tadka are two popular dal dishes served in Indian restaurants.