fruit chaat recipe – delhi style spicy, tangy and tasty fruit chaat recipe.
you like fruits?
so do i
you like chaat?
so do i
hmmm…. so if we combine fruits & chaat… then what do we get?
answer – fruit chaat
that was easy & and no prizes for guessing that…
so is not fruit chaat a fruit salad?
nope… in fruit salad there is no spicy or savory factor. in fruit chaat even the fruits become laden with the flavors of the spices.
the spice powders that are mainly used in fruit chaat are:
- chaat masala
- roasted cumin powder
- red chili powder
the fruits retain their sweetness and yet are spicy and tangy to taste.
another difference – fruit chaat which is a popular street food in north india & pakistan has tuber roots along with the fruits – mainly potatoes and sweet potatoes.
i asked hubby as he has grown up & lived in delhi, as to what are the fruits that make up in the chaat. his answer was the common fruits are papaya, banana, oranges, pomegranate, grapes, apples & pineapple.
so my next question was – are the potatoes fried or boiled? to which he replied the sweet potatoes are boiled and the regular potatoes are fried.
but weight and diet watchers – you can boil the potatoes instead of frying them.
to sum up i have also had fruit chaat in mumbai. but in mumbai we call it fruit salad and not chaat. only fruits are used – no tubers. just sprinkled with some chaat masala & black salt.
so now after reading this post and seeing the nice pics, it is time for you to head in your kitchen and make a spicy fruit chaat.
make use of seasonal fruits or whatever fruits are available in your area, like for e.g, i used mangoes in the chaat. also i added fruits which i had in the kitchen.
also some contributions to add from one of the blog readers huma ahmed who is originally from lahore, pakistan. huma says that the chaat which they make in their household and all the people she knows of – they make it with seasonal fruits.
potatoes are mainly used with chana chaat or dahi pakoris. boiled sweet potatoes by themselves with lemon juice and chaat masaala. if it is orange season, then orange juice is squeezed on the fruits and if not in the season then ready made orange juice is added.
summer is the best season for the fruits. since ramadan is going to start from next week, so this fruit chaat is a staple at the time of breaking fast. they use mangoes, apples, grapes, bananas, peaches, plums, apricots, pomegranate/anaar, guavas etc, with lemon juice, orange juice, and chaat masala.
fruit chaat recipe details below:
fruit chaat recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 2 banana, peeled & chopped
- 1 large mango, peeled & cubed
- 1 large apple, cubed
- 2 sweet potatoes, boiled, peeled & cubed
- 1 large potato boiled, peeled and cubed or fried
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon black salt or add as required
how to make recipe
- rub the lemon juice on the banana and apple cubes.
- this is so that they don't get discolored and also gives a sour hint to the fruits.
- mix the mangoes and sweet potatoes with the banana & apples.
- chill in the refrigerator if you want or proceed further.
- fry the potatoes.
- before serving mix the fried potatoes with the rest of the fruits.
- add all the spice powders and salt.
- mix well.
- serve fruit chaat garnished with some mint leaves.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe