sabudana pakoda recipe with step by step photos – sabudana pakora is yet another snack that can be made during fasting or vrat days. these sabudana pakodas can be made for ekadashi fast or navratri fast or even for janmashtami fast or on any other religious fasting day.
these sabudana pakoras are simple and easy to make and they also make for a nice breakfast or evening snack. i make these sometimes for an evening snack and we have them with tomato sauce or coriander chutney. few more fasting snacks recipes on the blog are:
these sabudana pakoras are similar to the maharashtrian sabudana vada. just that i have added some kuttu ka atta (buckwheat flour) in the pakora mixture and excluded some ingredients like lemon juice and coriander leaves.
apart from buckwheat flour, the other main ingredients in this recipe are sabudana or tapioca pearls, roasted peanuts, potatoes. the peanuts gives crunchy taste in between and add flavor. mashed potatoes and kuttu ka atta helps in binding the pakoras. apart from that kuttu ka atta also absorbs extra moisture, if any.
since i get pretty hard sabudana pearls here, i always soak them overnight. by morning they soften really well. so depending on the quality of the pearls, you can soak them overnight or for a few hours.
i have few more sabudana recipes on my blog which you might like to check like:
sabudana pakoda recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR sabudana pakoda recipe
- ½ cup sabudana (tapioca pearls)
- 1 large potato (aloo)
- ¾ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 green chili (hari mirch), chopped
- 2 tablespoon kuttu ka atta (buckwheat flour)
- ¼ cup peanuts (moongphali)
- rock salt or sendha namak as required
HOW TO MAKE sabudana pakoda recipe
making sabudana pakoda mixture:
- soak the sabudana or tapioca pearls in enough water overnight or for 4-5 hours.
- drain and keep aside in a mixing bowl.
- boil the potatoes, peel and chop roughly.
- roast the peanuts in a pan till browned and crisp.
- in a mortar-pestle, coarsely crush the roasted peanuts.
- add all ingredients to the drained sabudana, including the chopped potatoes and peanuts.
- mix well. check the taste and add more salt or sugar if required.
frying sabudana pakoda:
- heat oil in a kadai or pan.
- make small balls with your hands or using a spoon drop the mixture in to medium hot oil.
- let the pakoras become opaque and then turn them with a slotted spoon.
- deep fry till the sabudana pakodas become light golden and crisp.
- drain the pakoras on paper napkins to remove excess oil.
- serve sabudana pakodas hot with tomato sauce or green chutney or coconut chutney. if you are making these sabudana pakoras for fasting then serve them with phalahari chutney.
how to make sabudana pakoda recipe for fasting
1. soak the sabudana or tapioca pearls in enough water overnight or for 4-5 hours. drain and keep aside in a mixing bowl.
2. boil the potatoes. peel and chop roughly. roast the peanuts in a pan till browned and crisp. in a mortar-pestle, coarsely crush the roasted peanuts. add all ingredients to the drained sabudana, including the chopped potatoes and peanuts.
3. mix really well. check the taste and add more salt or sugar if required.
4. heat oil in a kadai or pan. make small balls with your hands or using a spoon drop the mixture in medium hot oil.
5. let the sabudana pakodas become opaque while frying and then turn them with a slotted spoon. deep fry till they are light golden and crisp. drain sabudana pakodas on paper napkins to remove excess oil.
if you are making these sabudana pakodas for fasting/vrat then serve them with phalahari chutney or saunth chutney or homemade tomato sauce. otherwise you can serve sabudana pakoras with any green chutney or mint chutney.