navratri recipes – navratri vrat recipes, fasting recipes.
here you will find a compiled list of fasting or vrat recipes that are made during the navratri festival. or you can browse the complete collection of 160 navartri vrat recipes here.
in north and western india, 9 days fasting or vrat is kept during navratri festival. however, in south india fasting is not observed. in south india people do worship of deities and make sundals or sweet recipes to offer as prasadam.
thus there is a difference how navratri festival is celebrated all over india. this year sharad navaratri begins on 1st oct, 2016 and ends on 10th oct, 2016. if you plan to keep fast during navratri then do check this list of navratri fasting food and rules.
below you will find both north indian and south indian recipes listed. you can also check this collection of 45 south indian navratri recipes. also mentioned towards the end is a list of flours and cereals used during the fasting period.
north indian navratri vrat or fasting recipes:
main course recipes for navratri vrat or fasting:
- sabudana khichdi – a delicious dish of tapioca pearls cooked with potatoes and peanuts. vegan & gluten free recipe.
- samvat rice khichdi – savory porridge made with barnyard millet (sama ke chawal) and potatoes.
- kuttu ki khichdi – easy to prepare khichdi with buckwheat groats (sabut kuttu), potatoes and peanuts for navratri fasting. wholesome super food.
- sabudana thalipeeth – crisp and soft pancakes made with tapioca pearls, mashed potatoes, ground peanuts and spices.
- vrat wale aloo – crumbled potato recipe for fasting without onion-garlic.
- singhare ki poori – pooris made from water chestnut flour and potatoes.
- aloo paneer kofta – a melt in the mouth soft texture koftas with a crisp exterior. just substitute the corn flour with fasting flours like water chestnut flour (singhare ka atta), buckwheat flour (kuttu ka atta) or arrow root flour.
- dahi aloo – a light curry made from potatoes and yogurt.
- dahi arbi – colocasia-taro roots in a thin yogurt gravy.
- vrat ki kadhi – quick to prepare kadhi for navratri fasting made from amaranth flour (rajgira atta).
- arbi masala – light north indian curry made with colocasia or taro root.
- kaddu ki sabzi – easy and simple pumpkin recipe
- jeera aloo – homely recipe of an easy and quick jeera aloo.
- samvat pulao – a simple and easy pulao made with vrat ke chawal/samvat or barnyard millet.
- vrat ke uttapam – uttapams made from sama ke chawal or vrat ke chawal flour (barnyard millet flour).
- kutta ka paratha – gluten free flat breads made with buckwheat flour and mashed potatoes.
- rajgira paratha – flat bread made with rajgira atta or amaranth flour for fasting.
- rajgira ki poori – fried puffed breads made from amaranth flour & boiled mashed potatoes.
- khatta meetha kaddu – mildly spiced sweet and sour pumpkin dry curry.
- aloo tamatar sabzi – easy lightly spiced curry made with potatoes and tomatoes.
snacks recipes for navaratri vrat or fast
- sabudana pakora
- sabudana vada
- sabudana tikkis
- sabudana chiwda
- sabuadana bhel
- roasted makhana
- aloo makhana – easy snack recipe for navratri made with boiled potatoes, phool makhana (foxnuts) and spices.
- sweet potato chaat – one of the most easy to prepare chaat recipe with sweet potatoes or shakarkandi.
- banana chips
- arbi fry
- sukhi arbi
- arbi tikki
- arbi cutlet
- fruit chaat
- fruit salad
- aloo chaat
- raw banana kofta – crisp, spiced pan fried patties made with raw unripe bananas. kachche kele ke kofte.
- potato finger chips – easy crisp french fries.
- farali pattice – crisp potato patties stuffed with a sweet-tangy coconut-dry fruits stuffing. a popular gujarati snack that is made during fasting.
- farali batata vada – delicious snack of potato vadas or potato bonda made for fasting or vrat.
- aloo tuk – easy to prepare sindhi snack. use sendha namak in the recipe.
- sun dried potato chips – method to make sun dried potato chips at home.
- sabudana bhel – a quick sabudana recipe for navratri fast or any other religious vrat.
- palak pakoras – spinach fritters made during fasting with buckwheat flour and spinach.
- vrat ke pakore or kuttu pakora – deep fried fritters made with buckwheat flour and mashed potatoes, roasted peanuts and dry pomegranate powder.
- sama ke chawal ki idli or vrat ki idli – fermented idli made from sama, samo, samvat or vari rice.
desserts recipes for navratri fasting or vrat
- sabudana ladoo – a sweet recipe which is good for fasting as well as during festival days.
- sabudana kheer – sweet pudding made with tapioca pearls or sabudana and milk.
- paneer kheer – quick and easy cottage cheese kheer. ready in less than 25 minutes.
- makhane ki kheer – phool makhana kheer is a dessert that is often made during navratri fasting or vrat
- rajgira kheer – simple easy dessert pudding made with amaranth grains.
- samvat rice kheer – a creamy kheer made with samvat rice or barnyard millet.
- lauki kheer – easy recipe method to make kheer from bottle gourd or opo squash or dudhi or ghia.
- papaya halwa – a vegan indian dessert made with semi ripe papaya.
- sweet potato halwa – delicious halwa made with boiled mashed sweet potatoes (shakarkandi) scented with cardamom and saffron.
- ash gourd halwa – delicious kashi halwa made with ash gourd or white pumpkin.
- banana rasayana – a simple sweet dish made with ripe bananas and coconut milk.
- carrot payasam – creamy and smooth payasam made with carrots, jaggery and coconut milk.
- apple halwa – apple halwa recipe with cinnamon and vanillain marathi
- lauki ka halwa – sweet indian dessert made from bottle gourd or lauki or dudhi
- coconut ladoo – melt in the mouth ladoos made with desiccated coconut.
- pumpkin halwa – sweet pudding made with pumpkin along with cardamom, melon seeds and dry fruits.
- vrat ka halwa – a north indian pudding made with water chestnut flour (singhare ka atta) and buckwheat flour (kutta ka atta).
- dry fruits ladoo – no sugar, no fat ladoos made with dry fruits. a vegan recipe.
beverages for navratri vrat or upvas:
all fruits can be eaten during navratri fasting. so you can make fruit salad, chaats, juices or milkshakes. remember to use sendha namak or rock salt. all milk products are also allowed during navratri fasting
- sweet lassi
- dry fruits milkshake
- banana milkshake
- sweet lime juice
- watermelon juice
- muskmelon juice
- mango almond smoothie
- shikanji – indian lemonade
- mint juice
accompaniments for navaratri fasting or vrat
- palak raita
- cucumber raita
- pomegranate raita
- beetroot and carrot raita
- phalahari chutney
- coconut chutney
south indian navaratri festival recipes:
below are some recipes that are made during navaratri festival in south india. all the recipes are without onion and garlic. but people who want to keep fast as done in north india should not make these below mentioned recipes as they are not fasting recipes.
- medu vada
- rice payasam
- carrot payasam
- lemon rice
- besan ladoo
- vermicelli kheer
- udipi sambar
- drumstick rasam
- idli recipe
- coconut chutney
sundal recipes – sundals are legume or lentil preparations made during ganesha chaturthi or the nine days of the navratri festival in south india. they can be made from different legumes or lentils like black eyed peas, sweet corn, moong beans, bengal gram, peanuts. more or less the method to prepare sundal is same with minor variations here and there.
in north india only certain flours and grains are allowed for making navratri recipes for people who observe fast or upvas on these 9 days. these are
1. singhare ka atta (water chestnut flour)
2. kuttu ka atta (buckwheat flour)
3. rajgira ka atta (amaranth flour) and rajgira (amaranth)
4. sama ke chawal ka atta (barnyard millet flour) and vrat ke chawal (barnyard millet)
5. and arrowroot flour.
6. sabudana or sago
plus rock salt or sendha namak is used for navratri fasting recipes instead of normal salt.
the spices and herbs are used varies from community to community. generally, green chilles, black pepper powder, and ginger are used. you can check my compiled list of navratri fasting food or ingredients.