makhane ki kheer recipe with step by step photos – phool makhana kheer is a dessert that is often made during navratri fasting or mahashivratri vrat or ekadasi fasting. i had made the makhane ki kheer during the ganesh chaturthi festival.
makhana or foxnuts or phool makhana is always there at home. i usually roast the makhana and keep in a jar. since we make kheer also with makhana, its time i updated the recipe on the blog. more about these healthy seeds on my roasted makhana post.
makhana is healthier than popcorn or any of the ready to eat cornflake cereals. i recently read that since there is no demand for makhana in most cities, the poor farmers who cultivate these in the central indian wetlands are no longer doing so.
not only the farmers are loosing their work, but also we are loosing in a way. traditional indian food habits are healthy. slowly under the pressure of fast life and heavy influence from big corporate food giants we are changing our food habits, which is really sad.
it is disheartening to see that we don’t include locally available indigenous nuts, grains or veggies and choose to buy expensive imported food stuff or go by certain food advertisements that are so well publicized.
please do include locally cultivated food in your meals. it not only helps the farmers to sustain but also preserves the food culture & tradition of our country which may possibly get lost into oblivion in the future.
few ways to include these healthy makhana in your diet:
1. roast the makhana and keep in an air tight jar. these roasted makhana make for a nutritious and light snack. you can either make these savory or sweet. for savory add your favorite spice mix with salt. for the sweet option add powdered sugar.
2. you can also make makhane ki sabzi with peas known as matar makhana or khoya makhane ki sabzi.
3. you can make curries like khoya matar makhana or this kaju (cashews) makhana curry from tarla dalal.
4. you can have makhana during breakfast and top it with fruits. roast the makhana and mix it with milk (dairy or vegan) and top it with fruits and nuts. add your choice of sweetener.
5. makhane ki roti – this makhana roti from flavorsfrommumbai.com looks very soft, smooth and is healthy too.
6. makhana raita – spiced cooling raita made with phool makhana.
7. aloo makhana – easy snack recipe for navratri made with boiled potatoes, phool makhana and spices.
apart from makhana kheer, there are many sweets recipes which you can make for navratri fasting like sabudana kheer, paneer kheer, vrat ka halwa, vrat ke chawal ki kheer, sabudana ladoo and rajgira kheer recipe.
while preparing the makhane ki kheer, i have powdered ⅔ part of the makhana and kept ⅓ part whole. you can also chop them. powdering them gives a smooth consistency in the kheer. if you want texture and bite in the kheer, then chop the makhanas or add them whole, if they are small in size.
i have not thickened the milk too much. you can do so. however, increase the quantity of milk and the other ingredients proportionally. this is simple kheer recipe and fuss free too.
makhane ki kheer recipe details below:
makhane ki kheer
INGREDIENTS FOR makhane ki kheer (1 CUP = 250 ML)
- 1 cup makhana (foxnuts or phool makhana)
- 2 cups organic milk or 500 ml organic milk
- 3-4 green cardamom (choti elaichi) - husked and powdered in a mortar-pestle
- 10-12 cashews (kaju) Or 10-12 almonds (badam) - blanched and sliced
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins (kishmish)
- 3.5 to 4 tablespoon sugar or as required
- 1 pinch saffron (kesar)
- 2 to 3 teaspoon ghee (clarified butter)
HOW TO MAKE makhane ki kheer
roasting makhana and cashews:
- heat 2 to 3 tsp ghee in a pan.
- add the phool makhana and cashews.
- on a low flame, roast 1 cup phool makhana and 10 to 12 cashews in ghee till the makhanas become crunchy.
- the cashews will also get golden. stir often while roasting them.
- then remove them in a plate and keep aside.
making makhane ki kheer recipe:
- heat 2 cups milk/500 ml in a sauce pan or a thick bottomed pan.
- stir at intervals so that the milk does not scorch from bottom.
- let the milk come to a boil.
- whilst the milk is getting heated up, reserve 1/3 cup makhana and add the remaining in a grinder or blender jar. add cardamom seeds from 4 cardamom pods along with a pinch of saffron strands.
- grind to a fine powder.
- when the milk comes to a boil, then add 3.5 to 4 tbsp sugar or add as per taste.
- add the ground powdered makhana.
- then the reserved 1/3 cup makhana.
- stir very well.
- simmer till the makhane softens and the milk thickens a bit. about 9 to 10 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- scrape the evaporated milk solids from sides and add to the milk.
- lastly add the golden cashews and raisins. if using blanched and sliced almonds, then you can add at this step.
- stir and simmer makhane ki kheer for a minute.
- serve makhane ki kheer hot or warm or chilled. after chilling, the kheer's consistency thickens a bit.
step by step makhane ki kheer recipe:
1. heat 2 to 3 tsp ghee in a pan.
2. add the phool makhana and cashews.
3. roast 1 cup phool makhana and 10 to 12 cashews in ghee till the makhanas become crunchy. the cashews will also get golden. stir often while roasting them.
4. then remove them in a plate and keep aside.
5. heat 2 cups milk (500 ml) in a sauce pan or a thick bottomed pan. stir at intervals so that the milk does not scorch from bottom.
6. let the milk come to a boil.
7. whilst the milk is getting heated up, reserve ⅓ cup makhana and add the remaining in a grinder or blender jar. add cardamom seeds from 4 cardamom pods along with a pinch of saffron strands.
8. grind to a fine powder.
9. when the milk comes to a boil, then add 3.5 to 4 tbsp sugar or add as per taste.
10. add the ground makhana.
11. then add the reserved ⅓ cup makhana.
12. stir very well.
13. simmer for 9 to 10 minutes on a low to medium flame till the makhane softens and the milk thickens a bit. do stir at intervals. scrape the evaporated milk solids from sides and add to the milk.
14. lastly add the golden cashews and raisins. if using blanched and sliced almonds, then you can add at this step.
15. stir and simmer makhana kheer for a minute.
16. serve makhane ki kheer hot or warm or chilled. after chilling, the kheer’s consistency thickens a bit.