Kaddu ka halwa or pumpkin halwa recipe for fasting or vrat. we often make this pumpkin halwa during the Navratri fasting period.
Pumpkin or kaddu as we call in hindi, is a veggie that we often use during the Navratri fasting period. another recipe from pumpkin which was mil make for Navratri fasting is Kaddu ki sabzi.
This is a Very very easy recipe of pumpkin halwa and the credit goes to my mil. The whole halwa is made in the pressure cooker, saving time and energy. You can also make the halwa in a pan, though. I have mentioned how to make the halwa in the pan in the notes section below. I have shared one more pumpkin halwa recipe that is popular in south India. Its called as Kashi halwa and the recipe is made with white pumpkin.
There’s not much of ghee or oil used in this recipe unlike the amounts usually added to halwa recipes. We always add melon seeds (magaz) in this halwa and this combination goes very well. Apart from melon seeds, other dry fruits like almonds and cashews are also added.
Few other recipes which are prepared at my home for Navratri fast are Sabudana khichdi, singhare ki poori, vrat wale aloo, dahi wali arbi and kuttu ka paratha.
If you are looking for more Fasting sweet recipes for fasting then do check:
Have you made this recipe and liked it? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card below or share the recipe on facebook, whatsapp, twitter & pinterest. For recipe updates Subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Pinterest and Twitter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
- 2.5 to 3 cups chopped pumpkin (kaddu or petha)
- ½ cup sugar or as required - also depends upon the sweetness in the pumpkin
- 3 to 4 green cardamoms crushed to a powder in a mortar-pestle
- 2 tablespoon oil or 1.5 tablespoon ghee - the halwa taste good with ghee
- 2 teaspoon melon seeds (magaz)
- 1.5 to 2 tablespoon chopped mixed dry fruits (almonds, cashews, pistachios)
- ¾ to 1 cup water
- Peel and chop kaddu or pumpkin into small cubes. Smaller the better.
- Heat the oil or ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Add the kaddu pieces in the pressure cooker
- And saute till they are start releasing water or for approx 8-10 minutes on a low flame.
- Add water and stir.
- Cover and pressure cook the kaddu pieces for 4-5 whistles.
- *for making the halwa in a pan, check notes below.
- Open the lid when the pressure settles down
- And check if the kaddu pieces have softened or not.
- They should be of mashable consistency.
- If they have not cooked thoroughly, then pressure cook for few more minutes, adding some more water, if required.
- Once the kaddu pieces have cooked well then place the pressure cooker on fire and keep to simmer.
- After 1-2 minutes, add sugar and cardamom powder.
- Cook the mixture stirring often till it thickens.
- The consistency of the halwa should like be a pudding or pumpkin puree.
- The water should reduce in the halwa.
- You can thicken it more if you want.
- Add the melon seeds and dry fruits and cook the halwa for 1-2 minutes more.
- Serve pumpkin halwa warm or cold.
- You can also garnish it with melon seeds.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.