Sindhi aloo tuk recipe with step by step photos – aloo tuk is a popular sindhi snack of crispy, fried and spiced potato slices.
I remember having aloo tuk for the first time in kailash parbat restaurant in Mumbai. They had done it very well. The aloos were fried to perfection with the correct amount of spices added to them. By the way kailash parbat restaurants specialize in sindhi cuisine. I searched on the internet for making aloo took or aloo tuk. I got this recipe from sulekha.com. I made some modification to it by adding turmeric and cumin seeds powder.
Now coming back to the aloo tuk recipe…. This dish is easy to prepare and can be served as a snack or a side dish. Will go well with a cup of hot Ginger tea as well. Kids will love them.
Aloo tuk tastes delicious and is an ideal snack to make during monsoon. If you love aloo then you should surely try this recipe.
Note: If making aloo tuk for religious fast or vrat, then add rock salt (sendha namak).
If you are looking for Aloo recipes then I suggest following recipes:
- 3 to 4 potatoes (aloo)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chilly powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds powder (jeera, optional)
- ½ teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder)
- rock salt or black salt or regular salt
- oil for frying potatoes
preparation to make aloo tuk
- Peel 4 medium sized potatoes.
- Then rinse the potatoes in running water and wipe them dry with a kitchen napkin.
- Now you can cut the aloo in slightly thick rounds or cut it vertically into wedges.
making aloo tuk
- Now rub some salt on the chopped potato slices. if making aloo tuk for religious fast or vrat, then add rock salt (sendha namak) instead of regular salt.
- Toss them well and deep fry them in hot oil, till they are slightly cooked and tender (or half cooked).
- Remove them from oil. Slightly flatten them with a the back of a ladle or spoon.
- Now again fry them in hot oil till they are crisp and golden brown.
- Remove them on a clean tissue paper so that the extra oil gets absorbed.
- Place the fried potato slices in a bowl. Add them when they are still hot.
- Add all the spice powders mentioned above on the fried potato slices.
- You can increase or decrease the quantity of the spice powders as per your taste. mix well.
- Aloo tuk goes as a good accompaniment or side dish with dal-rice combo or curd curry-rice combo.
- Serve aloo tuk hot with mint chutney or tomato sauce. You could also have it plain.
- If making aloo tuk for religious fast or vrat, then add rock salt (sendha namak) instead of regular salt.
How to make aloo tuk recipe
1. Peel 4 medium sized potatoes.
2. Rinse the potatoes in running water.
3. Wipe them dry with a kitchen napkin.
4. Now you can cut the aloo in slightly thick rounds or cut it vertically into wedges. The ones I had in kailash parbat restaurant were cut into wedges.
5. Take the sliced aloo in a dish or bowl. Now rub some regular salt (or rock salt or black salt) on the sliced potatoes. if making aloo tuk for Religious fast or vrat, then add rock salt (sendha namak) instead of regular salt.
6. Toss or mix them well in salt.
Making aloo tuk
7. Heat oil in a kadai or pan. When the oil becomes medium hot then add the potato slices in the oil. Deep fry them.
8. When they are slightly cooked and tender (or half fried). remove them from oil with a slotted spoon.
9. Remove on a plate and then slightly flatten them with the back of a ladle or spoon.
10. Now again deep fry them in medium hot oil.
11. Fry the potato slices till they are crisp and golden brown.
12. Remove the fried potato slices on a clean kitchen paper towel, so that the extra oil gets absorbed.
13. Then place the fried potato slices in a bowl or dish. They should be hot when you place them in the bowl.
14. now add following spice powders – ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi), ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder), ½ teaspoon coriander powder, ½ teaspoon cumin seed powder (jeera powder) and ½ teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder).
16. Mix all the spice powders very well with the fried potato slices. you can increase or decrease the quantity of the spice powders as per your taste.