which is your favorite drink to beat summer heat?
india is rich with various spices, herbs, veggies and fruits and many of them are unique to a particular area or region. thus each region of india has some specialty drink. like in bihar, for e.g drinks made from sattu (roasted chickpea + barley flours) are had during the summers.
in western and south india, coconuts are easily available and thus coconut water is frequently had to beat the summer heat. in this post i am sharing collection of indian beverages like drinks, juices, sherbets, milkshakes etc which are posted on the blog. so that it easier for your find them.
cooling summer drinks made or had in indian homes:
1. nimbu pani (indian lemonade) – this is the cheapest and might be the most used summer drink in india. you can add flavor to it by adding mint juice, roasted cumin powder, black salt or make it sweet – shikanji or have it salty. some people also like to add ginger juice but then ginger is heaty. in the western india, this is called as nimbu pani and in north india, its called as shikanji.
2. jaljeera – its a spiced indian cooling drink also used as an appetizer or just as a drink. quite famous in north india.
3. sweet lassi – made from yogurt and very famous in north india. you can make it salty or sweet. you can flavor it with cardamom powder, rose water and saffron. few other variations of lassi are masala lassi, salty lassi, strawberry lassi, fruit lassi, papaya lassi and rose lassi.
4. buttermilk or chaas – made using yogurt. popular in the whole of india. you can flavor it with mint, ginger, cumin powder or curry leaves and even do an oil tempering with herbs and spices. another variation is this mint chaas.
5. rooh afza – it is a sweet rose scented healthy syrup that is made with fresh fruits, vegetables, herbs and roots. you can add it to milk, kulfi, falooda, ice cream, phirni or have it simply with plain water.
6. aam ka panna – it is made using raw mangoes. helps in preventing heat strokes and keep the body cool. raw mangoes are rich in vitamin c and iron. in this recipe, i have boiled the raw mangoes. another way is to roast the raw mangoes. you can check this aam ka panna recipe made with roasted mangoes. for more unripe mango recipes you can check this collection of 15 raw mango recipes.
7. piyush – this is a smooth and creamy beverage popular in the maharashtrian and gujarati cuisine of western india. piyush is a bit similar to the popular beverage lassi. but in comparison, piyush is thick, creamy and sweeter than lassi.
8. lemon squash – easy diy lemon squash without preservatives and additives.
9. orange squash – diy homemade orange squash made from fresh oranges.
10. khus sherbet – a summer cooling drink made from khus or vetiver (vetiveria zizanioides).
11. sandalwood sherbet – a cooling and thirst quenching drink made with sandalwood powder. sandalwood powder can be got from an ayurvedic shop.
12. paan gulkand drink – an cooling and refreshing summer drink made from paan or betel leaves.
13. thandai – the word “thandai” means that which is cooling or cools and is derived from the word “thanda” which means “cool” in hindi language. thandai is a traditional drink, popular in the northern parts of india. its made with a mix of dry fruits, seeds and a few spices.
14. sattu sherbet – healthy summer drink made with roasted gram flour. roasted black chickpea flour is also known as chane ka sattu. this is a sweet sattu drink or sattu sharbat. sattu is good for both kids and adults alike.
15. panakam recipe – panakam is a cooling drink from the south indian cuisine and is especially made during ram navami. its also made as a cooling drink to beat the heat during summers.
16. neer mor recipe – neer majjige or neer moru is a delicious spiced buttermilk from the south indian cuisine.
17. nannari syrup – nannari is cooling for the body and is excellent during the summers. its also a blood purifier and one of the remedies for urinary infection. it also improves digestion.
18. jigarthanda – its a cooling drink having its origins in madurai city in tamil nadu, india. ‘jigar‘ means heart and ‘thanda‘ means cool or cold. so it literally translates to cool heart or cold heart.
19. bel ka sharbat – a summer cooling drink is this bel ka sherbet. bel fruit is also known as bengal quince, stone apple or wood apple. bael tree along with bael fruit and bel leaves are considered sacred. bael leaves are offered to lord shiva.
20. mango lassi recipe – one of the most popular fruit based lassi. whichever variety of mangoes you add, just ensure that they have a smooth pulp and are not fibrous. though this lassi made with fresh mangoes taste best, you can also use ready made mango pulp.
21. gond ka sharbat recipe – a popular summer cooling drink from north india. the gond used here is katira gond which has cooling properties. katira gond is also known as tragacanth in english and badam pisin in south india.
22. savory or namkeen sattu drink – summer cooler made from roasted black chickpea flour, water and herbs+spices.
23. tender coconut water – if you are staying in a place where fresh coconut water is available easily in summers then you are simply blessed. it is one of the best and the healthiest option to beat summer heat. below is a pic of fresh tender coconuts. this is a mobile pic and was meant for instagram.
fruit juices, milkshakes and sherbets
1. watermelon juice – watermelon is cooling and is rich in vitamin c. you can give different flavor to watermelon juice by combining mint, gulkand, rose petals or fruits like pomegranate, oranges with it. few more drinks you can make with watermelons are watermelon agua fresca, watermelon rose cooler and watermelon orange juice.
2. musk melon juice – musk melon also known as kharbuja in hindi reduces heat in the body. it is high in fiber, anti oxidant and helps in controlling blood pressure.
3. sugarcane juice – the ever popular indian juice to quench your thirst and give you a boast of energy. excellent for jaundice. has digestive properties, thirst quenching and keeps the body hydrated.
4. kokum sherbet – kokum fruit is available mostly in goa and maharashtra side. it is one of the best summer coolant, reduces heat in body, anti oxidant and helps in digestion.
5. mango milkshake recipe – mango milkshake is one of most sought after healthy drink during summers in india. mango milkshake is very filling and it simply recharges your body.
6. banana milkshake recipe – delicious banana milkshake made with coconut milk, vanilla powder and cardamom. this milkshake is also good for children and grown ups who have lactose intolerance. another variation you can make is this banana mango milkshake recipe.
7. mint sherbet – mint is excellent to beat summers. you can add mint in many drinks as well as can use it for garnishing. apart from cooling properties mint is good for digestion, cures morning sickness and nausea and detoxifies the body and a good source of vitamin C, B complex vitamins and minerals like calcium, phosphorous, zinc and copper.
8. mango juice – made from fresh ripe mangoes. thirst quenching and healthy and full with flavors of mangoes. few more delicious mango recipes you can make are mango sherbet, aamras, mango kulfi, mango ice cream and mango cake recipe.
10. coffee milkshake recipe – this recipes gives you a nice coffee flavored frothy layer on top. much like the cold coffee you get in cafe outlets like cafe coffee day. serve cold coffee straight away as its made. if you have vanilla ice cream recipe or chocolate ice cream or choco chip ice cream or pista ice cream, you could also add an ice cream scoop in the cold coffee.
11. dry fruits milkshake recipe – this dry fruits milkshake is very filling and you might like to skip a meal after having it. i have used soy milk instead of regular milk to make it. you can use regular milk or also make with almond milk.
13. mango mastani – thick mango milk shake with ice cream. few more delicious mango recipes on blog are mango mousse, mango kulfi, mango cheesecake, mango panna cotta, mango muffins and mango ice cream recipe.
14. falooda – layered summer dessert beverage made with milk, rose syrup, sabja seeds, falooda sev, dry fruits and ice cream. a popular north indian summer drink. few more variation are mango falooda, kulfi falooda, kesar pista falooda and strawberry falooda.
15. rose milk – cooling and refreshing rose milk made with rose syrup, milk and sabja seeds.
16. cold coffee with ice cream – in the recipe i have also blended the ice cream with the coffee and milk, which gives a thicker, creamier cold coffee. the coffee is then topped with scoops of ice cream and served. i have used homemade vanilla ice cream, but you can even use chocolate ice cream.
17. guava juice – to make this guava juice, you can use the regular guavas as well as pink guavas. guava fruit is rich in vitamin C and dietary fiber. a single guava fruit contains about 4 times the amount of vitamin C as an orange.
18. black grapes juice – a juice that can be made in a jiffy and without an electric juicer.
19. pineapple juice – refreshing pineapple juice made with fresh pineapple. once you get the pineapple wedges or cubes, then everything is easy and quick.
20. pomegranate mint cooler – this healthy pomegranate cooler has an indian touch to it. i have added some mint leaves and roasted cumin powder. i would suggest to add mint leaves, but you can skip the cumin powder.
21. litchi lemonade recipe – like mangoes, litchis are another juicy fruit that makes an appearance in the indian summers. so apart from having these sweet litchis, plain, you can also made litchi lemonade.
22. strawberry milkshake recipe – refreshing healthy drink to recharge your energy levels. good for kids as well as a breakfast beverage. you can serve the milkshake plain or add a scoop of vanilla ice cream or strawberry ice cream and have a strawberry ice cream shake. another variation you can make is this strawberry almond milkshake recipe.
23. apple pomegranate juice recipe – easy and healthy juice recipe to give you a quick boost of energy. pomegranate is good source of vitamin C and vitamin K. apple is also a good source of vitamin C.
24. orange juice recipe in a mixer or blender – if you have an electric juicer, then making orange juice or for that matter any fruit juice is very easy. but most of us have do not have a juicer. so here i am sharing the method on how to make orange juice in a mixer or blender.
25. avocado milkshake recipe – a healthy and delicious milkshake. avocado is a very healthy fruit and very good option for vegetarians and vegans.
26. apple milkshake recipe – easy and a quick healthy beverage. here i used kinnaur apples from himachal pradesh. i always buy these apples as they are not wax coated. the very shiny and glossy looking apples are wax coated. so do check the apples before buying.
27. pomegranate juice recipe – one of the healthy juices made with pomegranate or anar. in this post, i have also shared the method of removing pomegranate arils (seeds) in an easy way, without the juice falling all over the kitchen tiles or on your clothes.
28. watermelon mint juice recipe – in this juice, i have used mint leaves with watermelons. mint is cooling as well as good for digestion. watermelon is also cooling and a good source of vitamin c. thus this combination of watermelon and mint is ideal for summers.
cooling ingredients for your drinks:
1. holy basil or tulsi – you can use it for garnishing or add in various sherbets or even make a drink or sherbet.
2. rose petals or rose water meant for culinary uses – can be added to many drinks
3. gulkand or rose petal preserve – you can add it to milkshakes or sherbets.
4. fresh mint leaves – you can use their juice or leaves. also can be added as garnishing while serving.
5. sabja seeds – also known as falooda seeds or basil seeds. they need to be soaked for half an hour and then can be added to falooda or nimbu pani or other drinks. they are very cooling.
6. saffron – saffron is expensive but adds a good flavor to any drink or dish. it has cooling properties so you can add few saffron strands to your summer drinks.
7. cardamom powder – add it to milkshakes like banana milkshake, mango milkshake or dry fruits milkshake.
8. almond milk – it is cooling as well as healthy and you can use it in your milkshakes.
9. sattu ka atta – flour made with roasted chickpea and barley. famous in bihar region of india for it cooling properties. you can make drinks or make sattu ladoo or litti chokha or stuffed parathas out of it.
10: barley water – made with barley grains..