Jigarthanda recipe with step by step photos – easy method to prepare jigarthanda recipe.
Jigarthanda is a cooling drink having its origins in madurai city in Tamil Nadu, India. ‘Jigar‘ means heart and ‘Thanda‘ means cool or cold. So it literally translates to cool heart or cold heart. Jigarthanda is sold in small shops and even on the roadside during summers in madurai. You can compare jigarthada to falooda, though taste wise both are different.
There are some ingredients that are required to prepare jigarthanda.
- Badam pisin – badam pisin is also known as katira gond in hindi. In english its known as tragacanth. Its also known as almond gum. In ayurvedic shops you can easily get katira gond. I bought them online from amazon.in. Another cooling drink which is made with badam pisin is this Gond ka sherbet. this is not the same gond which is used to make gond ke laddu. So buy the gond carefully.
- Nannari sarbath – you can get ready made nannari syrup in shops or online or make the syrup at home. You can also use rose syrup instead of nannari syrup. Though the Authentic madurai jigarthanda uses nannari syrup.
- Reduced milk – basically it is milk which is condensed just like basundi or rabdi.
- Ice cream made from reduced milk – a special ice cream made with reduced milk.
What I am sharing is an easy recipe and not an authentic method. its not the way jigarthanda drink is made and sold in madurai. For an easy version, I have used sweetened condensed milk, instead of reduced milk and added vanilla ice cream. You can also use dry fruits or any other ice cream flavor. I made the nannari syrup at home.
To make jigarthanda drink, I did ask one of my dear readers durga aunty her method. Durga aunty is from madurai. She lovingly gave me the method which she had got from a hotel chef. The condensed milk idea is hers which I implemented to have an easy version.
You can always less or more of all the ingredients you as per your liking. E.g you can add less of the soaked badam pisin.
The assembling is very easy. but you do need to soak badam pisin overnight or for 8 to 9 hours. They increase in volume like anything and look like a jelly. So a small amount is fine. If there is extra remaining, you can refrigerate it.
Both badam pisin and nannari syrup are natural coolants. Basam pisin also keeps you full. Its also good for gaining weight and relieves constipation.
Serve jigarthanda drink as soon as you assemble it.
If you are looking for more beverages then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you want more delicious vegetarian Indian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
for soaking badam pisin or katira gond
- 2 teaspoons badam pisin (katira gond or almond gum)
- 2 cups water
for jigarthanda drink (2 glasses)
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons condensed milk or add as required
- 4 teaspoons nannari syrup or rose syrup
- 2 scoops vanilla ice cream or any ice cream
preparation to make jigarthanda drink
- First rinse and then take 2 teaspoons badam pisin (katira gond or almond gum) in a Large bowl.
- Add 2 cups water.
- Cover and let the badam pisin soak in water overnight or for 8 to 9 hours.
- The next day you will see the badam pisin increases in volume, blooms and become jelly like. Strain the extra water from the soaked badam pisin in a strainer and keep aside. You can also refrigerate the soaked badam pisin.
making jigarthanda drink
- Now in another bowl or a small pan, take 4 tablespoons condensed milk.
- Add 2 cups chilled milk. With a spoon or wired whisk mix very well. Keep aside or keep in the fridge.
- In a glass add 2 to 3 tablespoons of soaked almond gum or badam pisin.
- Add 2 to 3 teaspoons of nannari syrup.
- Then add 1 cup of the condensed milk and milk mixture.
- Add 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream or dry fruits or pista ice cream or glazed cherries.
- Drizzle some nannari syup from the top. You can also add some dry fruits or tutti frutti.
- Serve jigarthanda drink immediately.
- Recipe is only for 2 servings. You can easily increase the proportions.
- You can add less or more of the ingredients as per your choice.
- Instead of nannari syrup, you can use rose syrup or rooh afza.
- Instead of condensed milk, you can use basundi or rabri.
- For a dairy free version, use almond milk, sugar and a vegan ice cream.
- After soaking, if it becomes too tightened up then you can add some more water.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
How to make jigarthanda recipe
1. First rinse and then take 2 teaspoons badam pisin (katira gond or almond gum) in a Large bowl. if the badam pisin are larger in size, then you can crush them in a mortar-pestle and then add.
2. Add 2 cups water. cover and let the badam pisin soak in water overnight or for 8 to 9 hours.
3. the next day you will see the badam pisin increases in volume, blooms and become jelly like. After soaking, if it becomes too tightened up then you can add some more water. Strain the extra water from the soaked badam pisin in a strainer and keep aside. You can also refrigerate the soaked badam pisin. if there are impurities the rinse in strainer to get rid of them.
Making jigarthanda drink
4. Now in another bowl or a small pan, take 4 tablespoons condensed milk.
5. Add 2 cups chilled milk. With a spoon or wired whisk, mix very well. Keep aside or keep in the fridge.
6. In a glass add 2 to 3 tablespoons of soaked almond gum or badam pisin.
7. Add 2 to 3 teaspoons of nannari syrup.
8. Then add 1 cup of the condensed milk and milk mixture.
9. Add 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream or dry fruits ice cream or pistachio ice cream.
10. Drizzle some nannari syup from the top. You can also add some dry fruits or tutti frutti or glazed cherries.
11. Serve jigarthanda drink immediately.