Chocolate Milkshake is our most favorite variety of milkshake, hands down. This beverage in general, is more popular in the west, especially in USA, where a meal of burger and fries is never complete without a milkshake. But in the past few years, this milk-based beverage has become quite common in the Indian food scene too. The Chocolate Milkshake Recipe remains the quintessential choice for kids and adults alike. In this post, I have shared a super easy, quick and yummy way of making this milkshake with cocoa powder.
Table of Contents
About Chocolate Milkshake
10 minutes flat, and you’ll be done with this delightful Chocolate Milkshake! I have been wanting to share the recipe of this particular chocolate flavored milkshake since long. So, I finally decided to try the recipe and document it here – both in the text-image and video formats.
You can refer to this Chocolate Milkshake Recipe as a choco milkshake recipe too, which is a huge hit with all age groups. Personally, I feel that it is nothing less than a dessert in itself, just in the liquid form. Another classic Indian summer dessert-drink Falooda is an absolute rocker!
There are many methods of preparing a Chocolate Milkshake. This recipe demonstrates how I make it. I have always been using cocoa powder for this recipe. So basically, you just make a syrup with the cocoa powder and sugar dissolved in warm water, add it in the blender, thrown in some ice cubes, pour in milk and blitz till you get a smooth milkshake.
Isn’t this Chocolate Milkshake easy as a breeze!? You can use some chocolate sauce on the sides of the serving glasses, pour in the prepared beverage and then sip on the delishness. Or just simply serve it, right after blending. Any way, this milkshake will taste fantastic.
For The Best Chocolate Shake
You really don’t have to rack your brains and put in extreme efforts! Because, as I already mentioned earlier, making this Chocolate Milkshake is the easiest thing you could do to prepare an absolutely delicious cold beverage.
More or less, just follow this Chocolate Milkshake Recipe and you are sorted. However, for making the best one that would level-up the experience of consuming this milkshake, here are a few tips that would help you:
- Use a fine, good quality cocoa powder. If you have some organic cocoa powder handy, then nothing like it.
- Both ice cream and ice cubes are optional, and you can skip them. For choices in ice cream, you can go with either vanilla ice cream, chocolate ice cream or choco chip ice cream.
- If at all you don’t want to add any ice cream in the milkshake, then also its good. The milkshake will taste fab, even without any ice cream added in it.
- For a dairy free version of this chocolate shake, you can use almond milk or soy milk. Though, I do prefer making it with chilled dairy milk only for the ultimate creamy and tasty results.
How to make Chocolate Milkshake
Make Chocolate Syrup
1. In a small bowl, take ¼ cup warm water.
2. Add 3 tablespoons cocoa powder. You can even add 2 tablespoons cocoa powder.
3. Then, add ¼ cup sugar. You can add sugar less or more as per taste.
4. Mix very well so that the sugar as well as the cocoa powder is dissolved in the warm water.
Make Chocolate Shake
5. Now, pour this chocolate syrup in a blender or mixer.
6. Add some ice cubes.
7. Add 2.5 cups chilled or cold milk.
8. Blend till smooth.
9. Drizzle some chocolate syrup on the sides of glasses. This is an optional step.
10. Pour prepared Chocolate Milkshake in these glasses.
11. Then, add a scoop of chocolate ice cream.
12. Serve Chocolate Milkshake immediately. For more such recipes, you can check this collection of Milkshakes Recipes.
You can serve the milkshake in glasses that are drizzled with some chocolate sauce. However, this step is optional and you can completely skip it.
You could also top some chocolate sauce or caramel sauce on the milkshake or add your favorite nuts or dry fruits and even choco chips.
I like to add some chocolate ice cream to the milkshake, but it completely optional. Even a vanilla ice cream tastes good with a chocolate shake.
- Cocoa Powder: I usually add about 3 tablespoons of the cocoa powder in this recipe of mine. But you can also make it with 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder. basically, you can add less or more cocoa powder. Make sure to use a good quality of cocoa powder to get the best tasting milkshake.
- Sweeteners: You can add less or mores sugar, as per your preferences or swap sugar with your preferred sweeteners.
- Thicker Consistency: For a more thicker and creamier milkshake, blend the chocolate ice cream with the milk and the prepared cocoa syrup.
- Vegan Option: For making a vegan variation of this milkshake, use any plant based milk of your choice. Almond milk is a good choice due to its neutral taste and flavor.
- Scaling: This Chocolate Milkshake Recipe can be easily doubled or tripled.
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Chocolate Milkshake | Chocolate Shake
For the cocoa syrup
- ¼ cup water – warm
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¼ cup sugar or add as per taste
- 2.5 cups whole milk – cold
- 6 to 8 ice cubes – optional
- 2 to 3 scoops chocolate ice cream – optional
- 2 to 3 tablespoon chocolate sauce – optional
Making cocoa syrup
- In a small bowl, take warm water.
- Add 3 tablespoons cocoa powder. You can also opt to add 2 tablespoons cocoa powder.
- Next add sugar. You can add sugar less or more according to your taste preferences.
- Mix very well so that the sugar as well as the cocoa powder is dissolved in the warm water.
Making chocolate milkshake
- Now pour this cocoa syrup in a blender or mixer.
- Add some ice cubes and 2.5 cups milk.
- Blend till smooth.
- Drizzle some chocolate syrup at the sides of glasses. This is an optional step.
- Pour chocolate milkshake in glasses.
- Then add a scoop of chocolate ice cream.
- Serve immediately.
- You can add less or mores sugar as per your preferences. You could also add your choice of sweeteners.
- Cocoa powder can be added less or more.
- Do use a good quality cocoa powder.
- Use any of your preferred plant based milk for a vegan chocolate milkshake. You could omit adding the ice cream of top the shake with a plant based ice cream.
- The recipe can be doubled or tripled to make for more servings.
Nutrition Info (Approximate Values)
This Chocolate Milkshake recipe post from the archives, first published on April 2017 has been republished and updated on November 2022.