Vanilla milkshake recipe with step by step pictures. One of the few milkshake recipes for which I have got many requests is vanilla shake. Making any milkshake recipe is easy, so I was wondering what could be the reason for maximum requests for vanilla milkshake. I thought may be as vanilla milkshake is a very popular milkshake recipe.
Vanilla Milkshake & how it is made
- The usual method of making vanilla milkshake is by blending milk, vanilla ice cream and vanilla extract. this method gives a creamier and rich shake due to the addition of ice cream.
- While The simplest vanilla shake can be made just with milk, sugar and vanilla extract. this is a simple and easy method.
- A variation is also to add some cream when blending milk with vanilla extract & sugar. Adding cream makes the shake thick and creamy.
How to make a really good Vanilla Milkshake
I make vanilla milkshake on occasions, so thought why not share the recipe. I know you may say it is just ice cream, milk and vanilla. So what is the big deal? to that my answer will be The ratio and quality of every ingredient is important to get a smooth, thicker, creamier and tastier milkshake just like you get in your favorite cafe or restaurant. So let’s break it down with the ingredients.
For making milkshakes, it is Always better to use whole milk or full-fat milk which gives a rich creamier and thicker consistency. That said you can even use toned milk or skimmed milk but just that the consistency will be light and not rich.
2. Vanilla ice cream
The ice cream has to be a real ice cream and not a frozen dessert. if you live in India, check the ingredients and most ice cream manufactures sell ice cream where vegetable oil is used. These are sold as frozen desserts and many consumers mistakenly buy these. As far as I am aware, amul ice cream is the only ice cream which has milk. So do check the ingredients before you buy.
The ice cream has to be real and made from milk or cream. Though the best option is to use homemade ice cream, it is not feasible at times to make homemade vanilla ice cream due to lack of time. It will be even better if the vanilla ice cream has vanilla beans added or real vanilla extract added. Most vanilla ice cream brands use artificial vanilla essence or vanillin.
3. Ice cream and milk ratio
I use the proportion of ¼ cup milk to 3 medium sized ice cream scoops for a thicker, creamier and rich vanilla milkshake. To suit your tastebuds, you can easily change this proportion or ratio.
For a less thick shake – add ½ cup milk to 3 medium sized scoops.
For a thin milkshake – add ¾ to 1 cup milk for 3 scoops.
The best flavor comes from using vanilla beans or real vanilla extract. I prefer to use homemade vanilla extract for a good vanilla aroma. In case you do not have vanilla, then just skip it. A good vanilla ice cream is all that is needed.
5. Toppings & garnish
Mostly in cafes, whipped cream is added as a topping on vanilla shake. Whipped cream may or may not be there in your kitchen at all times. So you can make use of nuts, dry fruits, berries, chocolate sprinkles, sweet wafers that can be added as a topping on the milkshake. You can even crush some cookies and add them. You can also add caramel syrup, chocolate syrup to the shake.
How to make vanilla milkshake without ice cream
You can easily make vanilla milkshake without vanilla ice cream. Use whole milk. Blend chilled milk, sugar and vanilla extract in a blender. Pour in glasses and serve. You can add some cream while blending.
Making vegan vanilla shake
For a vegan version, use a vegan vanilla ice cream and almond milk. Almond milk is a good substitute for milk and I do prefer it over soy milk or cashew milk while making vegan shakes. Another favorite of mine is coconut milk and I usually use it when making shakes with fruits or berries.
How to make vanilla milk shake
1. In a blender jar take 4 cups vanilla ice cream. The ice cream need not be hard like a rock. So allow it to soften a bit so that you can scoop it easily. 4 cups vanilla ice cream is approximately 12 scoops of ice cream. These are medium or your average sized ice cream scoops. I blended in parts as I have a small blender.
2. Add 1 cup chilled whole milk.
3. Add 2 to 3 teaspoons sugar or as per taste. You can use castor sugar or sugar powder. Sweetness will also depend on the amount of sweetness in the ice cream.
4. Add 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean pod – which has been slit and the beans scraped. Add the scraped beans in the blender. Do not add any ice cubes as they will dilute both the taste and consistency of the milkshake.
5. Blend till smooth.
6. Pour in glasses or jars. Top with your favorite nuts and serve straight away. You can even garnish with some chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, crushed cookies, sweet wafers, whipped cream or berries.
Few more Milkshake recipes for you!
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you'd like more delicious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspiration.
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream - approximate 12 scoops
- 1 cup whole milk - chilled
- 2 to 3 teaspoons sugar or add as required
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean pod or ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- In a blender jar take the vanilla ice cream. The ice cream need not be hard as a rock. So allow it to soften a bit before adding in the blender jar.
- Add the milk and sugar.
- You can add less or more sugar as per your taste.
- Add vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean pod - slit and the beans scraped. Add the scraped beans in the blender.
- Blend till smooth.
- Pour in glasses or jars. Top with your favorite nuts and serve straight away. You can even garnish with some chocolate sauce, caramel sauce or berries.
- You can add less or more of the sugar as per your taste preferences.
- You can add cream if you want.
- Toppings and garnish can be of your choice.
- You can add more milk and make slightly less thick or a thin milkshake.
- Do not add ice cubes as these will dilute the taste and make the consistency thin.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later