If you’re looking for a treat that is cold, creamy, and caffeinated, look no further! My easy recipe for a Coffee Milkshake is the perfect summer beverage, made by blending cold coffee with ice cream. This deliciously slurp-able drink takes just 5 ingredients and 5 minutes to make, and it easily rivals anything you’d find at Starbucks — for a fraction of the price!
Table of Contents
About Coffee Milkshake
When it comes to the hot and sticky Indian summers, there are plenty of cold treats that we turn to in order to cool off: Falooda, Watermelon Juice, Mango Shake, Lassi, and Banana Shakes are among my favorites. But what all these tasty treats are missing is the sweet, sweet buzz of eye-opening caffeine.
While I’m generally more of a Tea drinker, there are times when only coffee will do the trick. Between my recent trip to Dubai and moving to a new house, this is one of those times!
Luckily, this simple coffee milkshake recipe is easy to make and combines both caffeine and dessert into one portable cup. I start with my Cold Coffee recipe made with instant coffee, then add both ice and ice cream to amp up the frosty café-style frappé vibes.
This coffee shake recipe does not require a coffee maker but does require a blender to get the creamy, thick consistency you’d expect from a Frappuccino. I also make it extra dessert-y by adding an extra scoop of ice cream on top, like a coffee float.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Instant Coffee – Instant coffee is a staple in our household. Not only is it great for adding to chocolate desserts as a flavor enhancer, it’s also more shelf-stable and convenient for us since we don’t drink lots of coffee. If you prefer, you can use a decoction of Filter Coffee instead.
- Water – Be sure to use filtered water for the best flavor possible.
- Sugar – You can add sweetener to your liking. I used plain granulated sugar, but brown sugar, powdered jaggery, cane sugar, or coconut sugar can all be used instead.
- Milk – I suggest using whole or full-fat milk for the best, creamiest flavor. If you prefer to make this a dairy-free milkshake, substitute your favorite plant-based alternative.
- Vanilla Ice Cream – Vanilla is an easy, crowd-pleasing flavor, but don’t feel limited. You can use chocolate ice cream for more of a mocha vibe, or use coffee ice cream for an added punch of flavor.
- Ice – Use ice made with filtered water for the best results. Choose to skip ice cubes if you prefer.
How To Make Coffee Milkshake
1. In a small bowl, add 1.5 tablespoons of instant coffee.
2. Add ¼ cup warm or slightly hot water. Mix very well with a spoon.
3. Now pour this mixture in a blender jar.
4. Add 4 tablespoons of sugar, or per your taste. If you prefer to cut back on dishes, add the coffee, warm water and sugar directly to the blender jar.
5. Blend for a minute or till the coffee solution becomes frothy and the color lightens a bit.
6. Now add 4 to 5 small ice cubes.
7. Add 1 or 2 vanilla ice cream scoops.
8. Pour in 2.5 cups chilled milk.
9. Blend once more till everything is mixed well and you get a nice froth on top.
10. Pour in glasses.
11. Keep some space on top for the ice cream scoops.
12. Now top each glass with 1 or 2 ice cream scoops.
13. Your coffee shake with ice cream is ready to be served!
14. Serve immediately and enjoy.
- Make it dairy-free. Opt for a plant-based milk and ice cream substitute.
- Make it decaf. Use decaffeinated instant coffee, brew coffee, or espresso.
- Add more flavor. Use any flavored syrups (e.g. chocolate, caramel, almond, or hazelnut) to flavor your frozen coffee shake.
- Add protein. Add a bit of heft to your Frappuccino by adding a scoop of your preferred protein powder or a chunk of silken tofu.
Absolutely! Simply opt for a decaf version of instant coffee or filter coffee, or use a roasted chicory beverage instead.
Yes! Just swap in your favorite vegan ice cream and milk substitutes.
While I’m not one to demonize treats, due to the relatively high sugar content in this coffee milkshake, I suggest drinking them in moderation. Please be sure to consult with a professional nutrition expert before making any decisions about your diet.
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Coffee Milkshake (With Ice Cream)
Making coffee solution
- In a small bowl, take the instant coffee.
- Add warm or slightly hot water.
- Mix very well with a spoon.
Making coffee milkshake
- Now pour this mixture in a blender jar.
- Add sugar. You can add sugar as per your taste.
- Blend for a minute or till the coffee solution becomes frothy and the color lightens a bit.
- Now add 4 to 5 small ice cubes. Adding ice cubes are optional and you can choose to skip them.
- Add 1 or 2 vanilla ice cream scoops.
- Pour 2.5 cups chilled milk.
- Blend once more till everything is mixed well and you get a nice froth on top.
- Pour coffee milkshake in glasses.
- Keep some space on top for the ice cream scoops.
- Now place 1 or 2 ice cream scoops in each glass.
- Serve coffee milkshake with ice cream immediately.
- The recipe can also be halved or scaled up to increase the servings.
- You can substitute coffee with drinking chocolate or cocoa powder and make a mocha milkshake with ice cream.
- Almond milk or soy milk can be used instead of dairy milk.
- Instead of vanilla ice cream, you can even add chocolate ice cream or coffee ice cream.
- Adjust the sugar as needed by adding less or more depending on your taste preferences.
Nutrition Info (Approximate Values)
This Coffee Milkshake post from the archives first published in April 2016 has been updated and republished on April 2023.