orange squash recipe with step by step photos – a preserved fruit drink recipe for the first time on the blog. this orange squash recipe is for all those folks like me, who prefer to prepare everything from scratch and are a DIY person. this is a really good orange squash. its much better than the store brought ones.
recently i made 1 litre tomato sauce and it was so good, that i decided to try some more fruit based canned recipes. so followed an orange squash. i have also posted recipes of
the orange squash was made with a sweet variety of local oranges called as kinnow or kinnoo in india. these are juicy oranges. 2.25 kgs oranges yielded 2.25 litres orange squash. i got a total of 5 cups + 3 tbsp orange juice which is approx 1.25 litres. isn’t that good.
this is not sugar free recipe. if the oranges are too sweet, the quantity of the sugar can be reduced. i have used organic unrefined cane sugar instead of regular refined sugar. please note the squash can be made with evaporated cane sugar too. however, the taste will be slightly different.
i also added some saffron to the orange squash, but its entirely optional. i sterilized the canning jars. i have mentioned the method of sterilizing the jars or bottles in the recipe details below. please use a good quality glass jar or bottle, so that it does not crack or break during the heating process.
in the squash, i have added a preservative – potassium metabisulphite. the reason being i did not want the squash to get spoiled. last year i had made mango squash without a preservative and within three days the squash got spoiled. we are still having the orange squash and its still good after 2 weeks.
for making the orange squash, i referred to my home science notes. i have taken extensive step by step pics of the preparation of orange squash. made it during the night and hence the pics have a tungsten glow on them.
if you are looking for more beverages then do check:
INGREDIENTS FOR orange squash
- 2.25 to 2.50 kg oranges - yields 5 to 5.5 cups orange juice
- 1 kg organic unrefined cane sugar or regular sugar
- 1 litre water
- 3 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice or ½ teaspoon citric acid
- ½ teaspoon potassium metabisulphite
- 1 to 2 pinch saffron (kesar) - optional
HOW TO MAKE orange squash
making sugar syrup for orange squash
- first begin making the sugar syrup.
- dissolve the sugar in water in a large saucepan or pot.
- add lemon juice and stir. let the sugar solution come to a boil.
- lower the flame and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes till the sugar solution thickens a bit.
- you don't need any thread consistency.
- just a slightly thick and sticky flowing sugar solution.
- remove from the pan and let the solution become warm.
- filter the sugar solution to remove the impurities.
- let the sugar solution cool at room temperature.
- crush saffron threads and add them to the warm sugar solution. this is an optional step.
sterilizing jars for storing orange squash
- whilst the sugar solution is cooling, you sterilize the bottles and start making the orange juice.
- in a large pot, bring enough water to a boil so that your canning jar or bottle gets completely immersed in it.
- place the glass jar in it and its lid separately in the hot water.
- continue to boil for further 8 to 10 minutes.
- with the help of canning tongs or regular clean tongs, remove the jar and the lid and keep aside.
preparing orange juice for orange squash
- next, peel and chop the oranges.
- in a blender, add 1/3 or 1/2 of the oranges or as much as the capacity of your blender is. keep on pulsing for some seconds till the oranges have been crushed very well.
- then strain the orange juice through a juice strainer.
- press the pulp with a spoon so that all the juice is strained away.
making orange squash
- add the strained orange juice to the sugar syrup and stir.
- we need to add the orange juice immediately, so that it does not become bitter.
- now work again juicing the oranges in batches and then adding them to the sugar syrup.
- you can also use an electric juicer to juice the oranges.
- take 1/4 cup of the orange squash in a cup or bowl.
- stir in the potassium metabisulphite very well so that it is completely dissolved in the water.
- add this preservative solution to the orange squash. stir again very well.
- pour the orange squash in the sterilized jars or bottles.
- close tightly with its lid and let is stay for some hours, about 3-4 hours outside at room temperature.
- later refrigerate the orange squash jars or bottles.
- let the orange squash sit for some days (about 3 to 4 days or a week) in the fridge and then you serve. the flavors improve after some days.
serving orange squash
- shake the jar or bottle before you use the orange squash.
- for serving, stir 1/4 to 1/3 part of the orange squash with 3/4 or 2/3 parts of cold water or regular water.
- add ice cubes if required and you can garnish with mint leaves or lemon slices.
- serve the orange drink immediately.
how to make orange squash
making sugar syrup
1. dissolve the sugar in water in a large sauce pan. add lemon juice.
2. stir and then keep the sauce pan on the stove top.
3. let the whole mixture come to a boil. then simmer for 6 to 7 minutes on a low flame. the sugar solution need not have any thread consistency. just need to be slightly on the thicker side yet flowing. you can see the consistency in the pics. when you touch it, you should feel a stickiness. thats it.
5. below is the strained dark sugar solution. the color is dark as i have used unrefined cane sugar. let the sugar solution cool at room temperature.
making orange juice for orange squash
6. peel the oranges. you can roughly chop them, if you want. add half of the quantity to the blender and pulse for some seconds till the oranges have crushed very well.
7. strain the orange juice through a juice strainer.
8. with the help of a spoon, press the pulp so that all the juice is strained away. this is an important step. you can also use an electric juice to juice the oranges.
making orange squash
9. immediately add the orange juice to the sugar solution. this is done so that the juice does not become bitter. work similarly with the second batch of oranges. you can also use an electric juicer to juice the oranges.
10. take ¼ cup of the orange squash. add the potassium metabisulphite and stir well, till its completely dissolved.
11. add the preservative solution to the orange squash and stir very well.
12. pour the orange squash into prepared sterilized bottles or jars till the neck.
13. close tightly and keep the orange squash in the fridge for some 3 to 4 days or even a week. the flavors become better after some days.
14. for serving, dissolve 1/4 part of orange squash with 3/4 parts of chilled or water at room temperature. you can garnish the orange drink with mint leaves, lemon slices or orange slices. serve the orange drink immediately.