Mango mastani recipe with step by step photos – thick mango milk shake with ice cream.
Mastani is a dessert drink which originated in Pune and is very popular. Basically mastani is a thick milk shake with ice cream.
I do not know how this beverage got the name ‘mastani’. Probably the drink is named after peshwa bajirao’s wife mastani.
I still remember my aunt telling me about bajirao’s mastani once. She said, mastani was so beautiful, that when she would chew a paan (stuffed betel leaf), the red juice from the pan would be seen going down her throat in a streak. The drink might be named as this ice cream milkshake is beautiful to look at.
Mango mastani is rich and satisfying as a dessert. you will be blown away with the simplicity and ease with which its made as well with its rich intense mango flavor.
I have had mango mastani and sitaphal (custard apple) mastani at one of the outlets of the famous sujata mastani in Pune. Mastani drink is available in a variety of flavors like chocolate mastani, dry fruits mastani, kesar pista, pineapple, vanilla, orange, rose etc.
If you want to have mastani in Pune, then sujata mastani is most famous but go to their original branch at sadashiv peth. You can also try mastani at gujjar cold drink house in budhwar peth.
So do try this awesome drink during this summer season. Vanilla ice cream or Mango ice cream or pistachio ice cream can be made at home or brought from the stores.
How to make mango mastani
1. Slice a few dry fruits like pistachios, almonds and cashews. Keep them aside with 4 to 5 glazed cherries.
2. Peel, chop 3 large mangoes and add them to the blender or mixer jar. Instead of fresh mangoes, you can also use mango pulp or puree. About 3 to 3.5 cups of mango pulp or puree can be used. Later, just add milk accordingly, based on the consistency of the pulp or puree.
3. Reserve 2 to 3 tbsp of chopped mangoes aside for topping the mastani drink later.
4. Add 2 to 3 tbsp sugar in the blender jar.
5. Add 1.5 cups full cream milk.
6. Blend to a smooth thick milkshake. Taste and if the sugar is less, then you can add more. If the mangoes are very sweet, you can completely skip the sugar. Since both the mangoes and milk were chilled, I did not add any ice cubes. You can add some ice cubes too while blending.
Making mango mastani
7. Pour this thick mango milkshake in glasses till you have enough space at the top for ice cream scoops.
8. Place one or two vanilla or mango ice cream scoops.
9. Top with the sliced dry fruits and chopped mangoes. Garnish with the glazed cherries.
10. Serve mango mastani immediately with a spoon as well as straw.
If you are looking for more Mango recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you'd like more delicious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspiration.
- 3 large mangoes or 700 to 750 grams alphonso mangoes or kesar mangoes or 3 to 3.5 cups chopped mangoes or 3 to 3.5 cups thick mango puree or pulp
- 1.5 cups full cream chilled milk or 375 ml
- 2 to 3 tablespoon sugar or add as required
- 6 to 7 pistachios sliced or chopped
- 6 to 7 cashews sliced or chopped
- 6 to 7 almonds - sliced or chopped
- 4 to 8 scoops of vanilla ice cream or mango ice cream
- 4 to 6 glazed cherries for decoration (optional)
- 4 to 6 ice cubes (optional)
- Slice a few dry fruits like pistachios, almonds and cashews. Keep them aside with 4 to 5 glazed cherries.
making milkshake for mango mastani
- Peel, chop 3 large mangoes and add them to the blender.
- Reserve a few chopped mangoes aside for topping the mastani drink later.
- Add 2 to 3 tbsp sugar. Add 1.5 cups full cream milk.
- Blend to a smooth thick milkshake. Taste and if the sugar is less, then you can add more. If the mangoes are very sweet, you can completely skip the sugar.
making mango mastani
- Pour this thick mango milkshake in glasses till you have enough space at top for ice cream scoops.
- Place one or two vanilla or mango ice cream scoops.
- Top with the sliced dry fruits and chopped mangoes. Garnish with the glazed cherries.
- Serve mango mastani immediately with a spoon as well as straw.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later