rice kheer recipe with step by step photos. rice kheer is a favorite indian dessert made with basmati rice, milk, nuts and saffron. rice kheer is also one of the most popular kheer variety made in north indian cuisine along with seviyan kheer and phirni.
this rice kheer recipe is a family recipe and one that i learnt from mother in law. for any religious or festive occasions, my mother-in-law always makes rice kheer. generally we make it in a slightly large quantity, but i have scaled down the recipe which can give you 4 to 5 serving of this rice deliciousness.
like the other kheer versions, rice kheer is also easy to make and the entire recipe can be made in one pan or pot. just that you need to keep a check when the kheer is simmering and stir it at intervals. this is quick and easy recipe and does not demand much cooking skills.
in south india also rice kheer is made and is called as rice payasam there. rice payasam can be made both with milk and coconut milk. i have shared rice payasam made with milk also.
this delicious rice kheer can be made for any festival or celebration like diwali or also as a sweet dessert which you can serve after meals.
i have compiled frequently asked questions on rice kheer recipe from the comments received on this recipe.
faq on rice kheer recipe
are rice pudding and rice kheer same?
yes both are same. rice kheer can also be called as rice pudding. basically rice kheer is indian rice pudding. the flavourings are typically indian like cardamom powder and saffron. some variations also add rose water or kewra water.
are the rice grains cooked or raw?
to make rice kheer, raw rice grains are cooked in milk. but the rice grains are soaked in water for 20 to 30 minutes. by the time the rice gets cooked in the milk, the milk also reduces and thickens. so what you get is a creamy and rich rice pudding. but of course there is another way rice pudding is made and that is by using cooked rice or you can use leftover cooked rice. i also make this version of rice pudding on occasions – cooked rice pudding.
which dry fruits and nuts to add?
dry fruits and nuts are added in rice kheer to make it more flavorful. we always add almonds, cashews, pistachios and golden raisins along with saffron and cardamom powder. you can even add one or two types of nuts or whatever dry fruits you have in your kitchen.
can i soak rice grains overnight?
yes of course, you can make kheer with rice that has been soaked overnight. only the cooking time will be less.
what is the proportion of rice to milk?
the proportion of rice is 1:4 for rice and milk respectively. using this proportion you can easily double or triple the recipe or make in more quantities.
can rice kheer be made sugar free?
yes you can use sugar free sweeteners and add them to the kheer once its done.
can i use jaggery in rice kheer?
you can use jaggery. but add jaggery only after the rice kheer is done. once the kheer is made, keep it on the kitchen counter for 4 to 5 minutes, till the heat reduces a bit. then add jaggery.
can i use brown sugar?
with brown sugar, also follow the same method as that for jaggery.
can i make chocolate rice kheer with this rice kheer recipe?
you can easily make chocolate rice kheer with this recipe. either add 1 to 2 tablespoons cocoa powder or add grated chocolate once the kheer is cooked.
can i use condensed milk or milkmaid?
you can use condensed milk, but then cook rice first in milk or water or half-half of both. then add the sweetened condensed milk with some milk. if you just add condensed milk, the rice kheer will become very sweet. so mix it with some milk and then add. if using condensed milk then skip sugar.
why has rice become lumpy in rice kheer?
if the rice grains are cooked too much or if the milk gets reduced too much or is less, then rice grains become lumpy. to fix this add some more milk in the kheer and break the lumps with a wired whisk or spatula.
can i use any other type of rice for rice kheer?
though basmati rice is generally preferred for making rice kheer, but you can use any other fragrant variety of rice too. you can even use regular variety of rice. basically, you can make rice kheer with the ingredients you have in your kitchen.
why has milk got burnt or browned?
when making a dish like rice kheer, where time is taken for the rice grains to cook, its always best to use a heavy thick bottomed kadai (wok) or pan. frequent stirring of rice grains when the milk is simmering ensures that the milk does not get burnt from the bottom. also, cook the rice kheer on a low to medium-low flame.
if you are looking for more diwali sweets recipes then do check:
rice kheer recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- ¼ cup basmati rice
- 1 litre full fat milk or whole milk or full cream milk
- 6 tablespoons sugar or add as required
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder or 5 to 6 green cardamoms powdered in mortar-pestle(choti elaichi powder)
- 1 pinch saffron strands (kesar) or 14 to 16 saffron strands
- 1 tablespoon chopped or sliced almonds or blanched almonds (badam)
- 1 tablespoon chopped or sliced cashews (kaju)
- 1 tablespoon chopped or sliced unsalted pistachios (pista)
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins (kishmish)
how to make rice kheer recipe
preparation for rice kheer
rinse ¼ cup basmati rice a couple of times till the water runs clear of the starch.
then soak the rice in enough water for 15 to 20 mins.
blanching almonds - heat water in a small pan or pot. when the water comes to a boil then switch off the flame and then add 10 to 12 almonds to it. cover and keep aside for 30 minutes. then peel and slice almonds. this is an optional step.
making rice kheer
meanwhile, when the rice grains are soaking, take 1 litre full fat milk in a heavy wide pan or saucepan or kadai.
keep the pan on a low to medium-low flame. stir at intervals so that the milk does not stick at the bottom of the pan.
let the milk come to a boil.
take 1 tablespoon milk from the pan in a small bowl. let the milk become warm. then add a few saffron strands in the milk. keep aside.
after the milk begins to boil, drain all the water from the rice and add it to the hot boiling milk. mix very well.
simmer and cook rice on a low flame. no need to cover the pan when the rice is cooking.
cook the rice grains till they are 50% done or half-cooked.
then add 5 to 6 tbsp sugar or add as required. mix the sugar in the milk.
continue to cook rice on a low to medium-low flame. do stir at intervals. simmer till the rice is almost cooked.
flavoring the rice kheer
then add ½ teaspoon cardamom powder. add blanched & peeled sliced almonds and chopped cashews and sliced pistachios. mix well.
then add the saffron dissolved milk.
again mix and continue to cook on a low flame till the rice kheer thickens and the rice grains have completely cooked.
switch off the flame when the rice grains are completely cooked. the kheer will also thicken. on cooling rice kheer thickens more. scrape milk solids from sides and add to kheer.
lastly add 1 tablespoon golden raisins. at this step you can add 1 tablespoons rose water or kewra water.
pour the rice kheer in individual serving bowls. you can serve the rice kheer, hot or warm or chilled. refrigerate leftover rice kheer.
- rose water can also be added to the rice kheer.
- you can also blanch almonds in a microwave. in a microwave safe bowl, take the almonds and cover it with water. microwave on high for 2-3 minutes.
- amount of dry fruits and sugar can be adjusted as per your taste.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url - rice kheer recipe on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.
how to make rice kheer recipe
1. rinse ¼ cup basmati rice a couple of times and then soak in enough water for 15 to 20 mins.
2. meanwhile when the rice grains are soaking, take 1 litre full fat milk in a heavy wide pan or sauce pan or kadai.
3. keep the pan on a low to medium-low flame. stir at intervals so that the milk does not stick at the bottom of the pan.
4. let the milk come to a boil.
5. take 1 tablespoon milk from the pan in a small bowl. let the milk become warm. then add a few saffron strands in the milk. keep aside.
6. after the milk begins to boil, drain all the water from the rice and add it to the hot boiling milk.
7. mix very well.
8. simmer and cook rice on a low flame. no need to cover the pan when the rice is cooking.
9. cook the rice grains till they are 50% done or half-cooked.
10. then add 5 to 6 tbsp sugar or add as required.
11. mix the sugar in the milk.
12. continue to cook rice on a low to medium-low flame. do stir at intervals.
13. simmer till the rice is almost cooked.
flavoring the rice kheer
14. then add ½ teaspoon cardamom powder.
15. add 1 tablespoon each of sliced almonds, chopped cashews and sliced pistachios. you can blanch the almonds if you prefer or just slice them raw.
16. mix well.
17. then add the saffron dissolved milk.
18. again mix and continue to cook on a low flame till the rice kheer thickens and the rice grains have completely cooked.
19. switch off the flame when the rice grains are completely cooked. the kheer will also thicken. on cooling rice kheer thickens more. scrape milk solids from the sides of the pan and add to kheer.
20. lastly add 1 tablespoon golden raisins. at this step you can add 1 tablespoons rose water or kewra water.
21. pour the rice kheer in individual serving bowls. you can serve the rice kheer, hot or warm or chilled. refrigerate leftover rice kheer. for more delicious kheer recipes, you can check this collection of 24 kheer recipes.