rice kheer recipe with step by step photos. a favorite indian dessert made with basmati rice, milk, nuts and saffron. rice kheer is one of the most popular kheer recipe made in north india along with seviyan kheer and phirni.
this delicious rice kheer can be made for any festival or celebration or also as a sweet dessert which you can serve after meals. this is quick and easy recipe and does not demand much cooking skills. for any festive occasion at home, we always make rice kheer.
there is another version of rice kheer recipe which i sometimes make with left over rice. the kheer recipe posted here, uses raw rice and not cooked rice.
to make this kheer more flavorful you can add saffron strands and dry fruits of your choice. we always add almonds, cashews and golden raisins along with saffron and cardamom.
chawal ki kheer or rice kheer recipe below:
rice kheer recipe - a favorite indian dessert made with basmati rice, milk, nuts and saffron.
- 1 litre full fat organic milk
- ¼ cup basmati rice
- 5 to 6 tablespoon sugar or as required
- 6 green cardamoms - powdered (choti elaichi powder)
- 1 pinch saffron (kesar)
- 15 to 20 almonds - blanched and sliced (badam)
- 12 to 15 cashews (kaju)
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins (kishmish)
- rinse the rice till the water runs clears of the starch.
- soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes.
blanching almonds - heat water in a small pan or pot. when the water comes to a boil then switch off the flame and then add the almonds to it. cover and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- heat milk and let it come to a boil.
- meanwhile drain the rice and keep aside.
- reduce the flame and add the rice.
- stir and simmer the milk and let the rice grains cook.
- the whole process of cooking the rice in the milk takes about approx 35-37 minutes on a low flame.
- you want the rice to really cook well and the kheer also thickened somewhat.
- after the rice is added, add the sugar.
- stir and continue to stir often so that lumps are not formed.
- scrape the sides of the pan and add this dried milk into the pan.
- let the almonds cool and then peel them.
- slice them along with the cashews. rinse the raisins and keep aside.
- take the cardamoms in a mortar-pestle and then powder them finely.
- remove the peels and keep the powdered cardamom aside.
when the rice is almost 3/4th done, add the almonds, cashews, cardamom powder and saffron.
- cook further till the rice grains are completely cooked.
the rice kheer would also thicken by then.
remember to keep on scraping the sides and adding the dried milk from the sides in the simmering kheer.
- switch off the flame and add the raisins. stir.
- you can serve the rice kheer, hot or warm. or pour in serving bowls and refrigerate.
- this rice kheer stays good for 1-2 days in the refrigerator.
tips for making rice kheer recipe:
- rose water can also be added to the rice kheer.
- you can also blanch almonds in a microwave. in a microwave safe bowl, take the almonds and cover it with water. microwave on high for 2-3 minutes.
- amount of dry fruits and sugar can be adjusted as per your taste.
this approximate nutrition information is per serving of rice kheer:
step by step chawal ki kheer or rice kheer recipe:
1. rinse and soak ¼ cup basmati rice for 30 mins.
2. heat 1 litre full fat milk in a wide pan or sauce pan and let it come to a boil.
3. drain the rice and add it to the simmering milk.
4. next add 5 to 6 tbsp sugar or as required. on a low flame let the rice cook in the milk.
6. once the rice is more than halfway done, add a pinch of saffron, cardamom powder (6 green cardamom crushed in a mortar-pestle), 15-20 blanched & peeled sliced almonds, 12-15 chopped cashews. stir.
7. when the rice has cooked completely and the rice kheer has thickened to the desired consistency, switch off the fire and add 1 tbsp golden raisins.
8. pour the rice kheer in individual serving bowls. you can serve the rice kheer, hot or warm or chilled. for more delicious kheer recipes, you can check this collection of 24 kheer recipes.