chaas or buttermilk recipe – this is one of the popular summer cooler made with yogurt, made all over india with some variations. buttermilk is not only a cooling drink but also aids in digestion. hence many people have it with their meals. buttermilk is also served in traditional thali meals in many restaurants.
this is a plain chaas recipe. sometimes when i don’t have much time, i make this plain salted chaas. the chaas is only flavored with roasted ground cumin and black salt or kala namak. sometimes i don’t even add ground cumin. black salt just gives the buttermilk the right zing and taste. i also garnish chaas with coriander or mint leaves. black salt, cumin and coriander leaves all aid in digestion and yogurt is good for the gut.
black salt is often added in many summer coolers. it is an intrinsic part of shikanjvi (indian lemonade), another popular north indian summer coolant. you can also add black salt add in fruit juices like apple pomegranate juice, black grapes juice etc.
skip the black salt, if you don’t have it. use regular salt instead. if you don’t have roasted powdered cumin in your home then first dry roast the cumin seeds in a pan till fragrant and then grind them in a mortar and pestle.
in north india, usually salted chaas is taken whereas in some parts of india masala chaas is more popular. you can make masala chaas by adding few spices. the spices and herbs which are often added in spiced chaas are asafoetida, fennel, ginger juice, curry leaves or coriander leaves etc. they all help in digestion of food and also uplift your energy levels in the dry hot summers. another variation is pudina chaas recipe which is chaas flavored with mint leaves.
if you are looking for more cooling beverages then do check:
chaas recipe or buttermilk recipe below:
buttermilk recipe | chaas recipe
buttermilk recipe - a classic indian buttermilk drink made with yogurt, black salt and roasted ground cumin. buttermilk is an excellent body cooler, digestive and appetizer.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1.5 cups curd (dahi or yogurt)
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder) Or add as required
- 1 cup water
- 5 to 6 small ice cubes
- black salt (kala namak) as required
- a few coriander leaves or mint leaves for garnish
how to make recipe
- take all the ingredients in a blender jar, except the coriander leaves.
- just pulse the blender for some seconds till everything is blended well and the mixture becomes frothy.
- pour chaas in glasses.
- garnish with coriander leaves and serve chaas immediately.
- you can also chill the butter milk in the refrigerator and serve later. but use it in the same day.
1. instead of adding ice cubes in the blender, you can add ice cubes in the end. but i suggest to blend ice cubes in the blender or use chilled yogurt and cold water.
2. you can also add more water if required to thin the chaas.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.