ginger tea recipe with step by step photos – tea is a beverage i make everyday. ginger tea is a very common indian beverage made from tea leaves and fresh ginger. its also called as adrak chai or adrak wali chai in india.
the aroma, flavor and taste of ginger is something we are extremely fond of in our tea. ginger also has a lot of health benefits.
tea is one beverage that is made in all homes in india. sometimes i make the tea with milk. at times, i make tea with cashew or soy milk. i don’t add almond milk as i don’t like the taste of almond milk in tea. with cashew milk, you won’t even come to know that the tea is made in it and not regular milk.
there are a few variations of tea made in india. some spices are added to the tea thus making it a masala chai. you can also use a chai spice blend know as masala chai powder. there is also mint tea or pudina chai and tulsi tea, which is made from fresh mint leaves and tulsi leaves (holy basil) respectively. also, a combination of both ginger and mint can be used while making tea.
nowadays i make tea with ginger, cardamom and lemon grass leaves. this concoction helps to alleviate migraine. a herbal remedy which i learnt after my visit to sahakari spice farm in goa. you can make this herbal tea with or without tea leaves. i make mine with tea leaves. sometimes i also add ground cinnamon, fennel, nutmeg & cloves to this tea… and occasionally some mint or tulsi leaves.
its due to this everyday tea, that no one at home suffers from cold or cough problems even when the winter was at the very peak this year. the stomach as well as the digestive faculty, stays good too.
tips for making ginger tea
- in this post, i share the recipe of a simple homemade ginger tea with cardamom. however you can skip adding cardamom.
- the amount of ginger can be varied. if you really like to have a strong taste of ginger, then add more ginger.
- its important to crush the ginger and cardamom before adding them to ginger tea. otherwise you won’t get their flavors fully. some people grate the ginger and that is also a good method.
- instead of crushing the cardamom and then adding it to ginger tea, you can also add the cardamom powder.
- the amount of milk can be varied as per your preference.
- to make the ginger tea strong, let it come to 1-2 boils or more.
you can serve the ginger tea plain or with indian snacks like pakoras, aloo tikki, vegetable cutlet, medu vada or samosa.
few more beverages for you!
INGREDIENTS FOR ginger tea
- 4 cups water
- 3 to 4 teaspoon black tea leaves
- 2 inch ginger for a strong taste or 1 inch ginger (adrak) for a milder taste, peeled and either crushed or grated.
- 3 to 4 cardamom crushed or powdered in a mortar-pestle (optional)
- ½ to ¾ cup regular milk or cashew milk or soy milk - add more if you want a milky tea
- 8 teaspoon unrefined organic cane sugar or add more for more sweetness
HOW TO MAKE ginger tea
- keep all the ingredients ready for the ginger tea.
- crush or powder 3-4 cardamoms in a mortar-pestle.
making ginger tea
- in a saucepan or kettle, add 4 cups of water, 2 inch ginger grated and the crushed cardamom with the peel.
- boil this water-ginger-cardamom mixture for a good 6-7 minutes, till the color of the water changes to a mild yellowish hue. the ginger releases its juices & flavors in the water and thus the color of the water changes.
- add 8 teaspoon sugar and simmer for a more of 1-2 minutes.
- now add 3-4 teaspoon of tea leaves and simmer for about 1 to 2 minutes till the water gets a deep hue of red.
- simmering makes the tea strong. if you prefer a light version, then just add the tea leaves to the water. cover and allow the tea leaves to steep in the hot spiced water for 3 to 4 minutes.
- add ¼-½ cup of hot milk.
- if adding cold milk, then simmer for a minute or two. if using cashew milk or almond milk, then just stir the cashew milk with ginger tea and remove from pan as otherwise heating further would cause the cashew or almond milk to become slimy and separate.
- strain the ginger tea through a strainer right into the cups.
- serve the hot ginger tea or chai or adrak chai with indian snacks like pakoras or samosas. you could also serve the ginger tea with biscuits or cookies.
preparation to make ginger tea
1. wash, peel and crush the ginger. keep all the ingredients ready for making ginger tea.
3. in a saucepan or kettle, add 4 cups of water, 2 inch ginger grated and the crushed cardamom with the peel.
4. boil this water-ginger-cardamom mixture for a good 6-7 minutes, till the color of the water changes to a mild yellowish hue. ginger releases its juices & flavors in the water and thus the color of the water changes.
9. if adding cold milk, then simmer for a minute or two. if using cashew milk or almond milk, then just stir the cashew milk with tea and remove from pan as otherwise heating further would cause the cashew or almond milk to become slimy and separate.
10. strain the ginger tea through a strainer right into the cups.