Thandai recipe with step by step photos and video – This is an easy recipe of refreshing thandai drink for the Holi festival.
It is a traditional drink, popular in the northern parts of India. Its made with a mix of dry fruits, seeds and a few spices.
The word “thandai” means that which is cooling or cools and is derived from the word “thanda” which means “cool” in hindi language.
So as the name is, this beverage is cooling for the body. Thandai is one of those drinks that is made during Holi festival and Mahashivratri. Bhang (cannabis) thandai is also consumed during both these festivals. Since bhang is banned in Maharashtra, I cannot make bhaang thandai, but we have had bhaang thandai during one Mahashivratri festival while on a spiritual tour in Banaras and Rishikesh.
The thandai recipe I am sharing is very easy – soak, grind and mix with milk or water. The thandai paste stays good for a week. You can easily make 8 to 9 glasses of thandai with this recipe.
Thandai recipe video
How to make thandai
1. In a bowl, pour 1 cup of warm water.
2. Then add 3 tablespoons almonds.
3. Next add 2 heaped tablespoons pistachios. Instead of pistachios, you can also use cashews.
4. Then add 2 tablespoons poppy seeds (khus khus).
5. Next add ¼ cup melon seeds (magaz or kharbuja beej).
6. The next ingredient to be added is 2 tablespoons dried rose petals. If you do not have dried rose petals, then add 2 tablespoons rose water or 2 tablespoons gulkand. If you add gulkand, then reduce the sugar to ⅓ cup.
7. Now add 1 tablespoon fennel seeds.
8. Then add ½ teaspoon whole black pepper.
9. Mix very well. Cover and keep aside for minimum one hour or 2 hours. if you use water at room temperature, then you can also keep overnight or for 4 to 5 hours.
10. The thandai mixture after 90 minutes.
Making thandai paste
11. Now pour the whole mixture including the soaking water in a grinder or blender jar. Do make sure to use a good grinder or blender.
12. Add ½ cup sugar.
13. Then add seeds from 3 to 4 green cardamoms.
14. Next add 1 pinch saffron. Saffron is optional and you can skip it.
15. Grind the mixture to a very smooth and fine paste. Remove in a bowl and keep aside. You can cover and refrigerate if not using immediately. No need to add extra water while grinding.
To prepare thandai
17. Take 4 tablespoons of the thandai paste in a glass. You can add less or more as per your requirements.
18. add chilled milk. You can also use half-half combination of milk and water. You can even use almond milk instead of milk.
19. Mix very well.
20. Add a few ice cubes.
21. Garnish with rose petals. You can also garnish with some chopped almonds or pistachios.
22. Serve thandai immediately. Alternatively, you can prepare the thandai drink in a large mug or jug. Refrigerate and then serve. While serving later, stir the mixture well and then serve.
Few more tasty recipes for you!
Have you made this recipe and liked it? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card below or share the recipe on facebook, whatsapp, twitter & pinterest. For recipe updates Subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Pinterest and Twitter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons almonds or 30 grams
- 2 heaped tablespoons pistachios or 20 grams pistachios
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds (khus khus)
- ¼ cup melon seeds or 30 grams melon seeds
- 2 tablespoons dried rose petals or 2 tablespoons rose water or 1 to 2 tablespoons gulkand
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon whole black pepper
- 3 to 4 green cardamoms - husks removed and seeds kept
- 1 pinch saffron - optional
- ½ cup sugar or 100 grams sugar
- 1 glass chilled milk
- ice cubes as required
- few rose petals or chopped almonds or pistachios for garnish
- In a bowl, pour 1 cup warm water.
- Then add almonds, pistachios, poppy seeds (khus khus), melon seeds, dried rose petals, 1 tablespoon fennel seeds and ½ teaspoon black pepper.
- Mix very well. Cover and keep aside for minimum one hour or 2 hours. If you use water at room temperature, then you can also keep overnight or for 4 to 5 hours.
making thandai paste
- After 1 to 2 hours, pour the whole mixture including the soaking water in a grinder or blender jar. Do make sure to use a good grinder or blender.
- Add ½ cup sugar, seeds from 3 to 4 green cardamoms and 1 pinch of saffron.
- Blend the mixture to a very smooth and fine paste. Remove in a bowl and keep aside. You can cover and refrigerate if not using immediately.
making thandai recipe
- To prepare thandai, take about 4 tablespoons of the thandai paste in a glass. Add chilled milk. You can also use half-half combination of milk and water.
- Mix very well.
- Add a few ice cubes.
- Garnish with rose petals. You can also garnish with some chopped almonds or pistachios.
- Serve thandai immediately. Alternatively, you can prepare the thandai drink in a large mug or jug. Refrigerate and then serve.
- If using gulkand, then reduce the sugar to ⅓ cup.
- Grind the paste very finely, especially if preparing for kids.
- You can even strain the thandai paste if you want.
- You can use peeled almonds if you want. Just blanch the almonds separately and then peel them.
- Instead of milk, vegans can use almond milk to make thandai.
- The thandai paste keeps well for about a week.
- Skip poppy seeds if its not available in your country.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.