sattu drink or sattu sharbat recipe with step by step photos – healthy summer drink made with roasted gram flour. roasted black chickpea flour is also known as chane ka sattu.
i first got introduced to sattu as an ingredient, when we stayed for some days at my husband’s friends place, about 6 years back. since on occasions, i would cook in the kitchen, one fine day when looking for besan, i opened up a jar of a light yellow colored flour with such a roasted good aroma of chana. i did guess it is a flour made from roasted chana, but did not know its culinary uses then.
later we asked the friend and he said its called as sattu and this one he had got from bihar. my husband’s friend being from bihar, also told us that they make both sweet and savory drinks with the flour as well as sattu ke parathe, litti chokha and even sattu ke ladoo.
till now i have just gone the easy route with sattu. i only make sattu drinks 🙂 i buy organic sattu flour and just mix the sattu flour with water. add flavorings and seasonings and the sattu drink is ready to be served. both sweet as well as savory drinks can be made with sattu. here’s the flour pic for you.
chane ka sattu, can be made at home, but its a time taking process. an easy way is buy some roasted chana without the skin. then grind them to a fine powder. seive and store in a bottle.
these drinks made from sattu are cooling in nature plus nutritious too. having a low glycemic index, sattu is good for diabetics. in this post i am sharing the sweet version. you can call it sweet sattu drink or sattu sharbat. i have also added the savory or namkeen sattu drink. sattu is good for both kids and adults alike.
for this sweet or meetha sattu, you can use jaggery, raw sugar or honey as a sweetener. i make with both sugar and jaggery, but partial to the one made with jaggery. below picture is of meetha sattu made with jaggery.
the recipe serves 3, though you can just increase the proportions and make a mug full of sattu drink and refrigerate.so do try this meetha sattu in the summers.
meetha sattu recipe card below:
sattu drink or sattu sharbat - meetha sattu recipe
sattu sharbat recipe - cooling sweet drink made with roasted black chickpea flour. a popular summer cooler from bihar.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1.5 litres chilled water or water at room temperature
- 6 tablespoon sattu (roasted black chickpea flour)
- 4 to 6 tablespoon regular sugar or organic unrefined cane sugar or jaggery - add as per taste
- ¼ teaspoon black salt or 2 to 3 pinches of black salt (optional)
how to make recipe
take chilled water in individual glasses. you can also take all of the chilled water in a mug and then mix.
add 2 tbsp sattu in each glass.
add sugar or jaggery as per taste. i usually add 2 to 3 teaspoon of sugar or jaggery powder per serving.
add a pinch of black salt in each glass. for some tang, you can also add lemon or lime juice.
stir and mix everything very well.
serve after mixing. or you can even chill and serve later. the flour settles down, so if serving later, do stir and serve..
recipe can be doubled or tripled.
how to make meetha sattu recipe:
1. take chilled water in individual glasses. you can also take all of the chilled water in a mug and then mix.
2. add 2 tbsp sattu in each glass. you can make the drink thick or thin. you can also add 2 tbsp sattu if you want.
3. the flour will settle down at the bottom of the glass.
4. add sugar or jaggery as per taste. i usually add 2 to 3 teaspoon of sugar or jaggery powder per serving.
5. add a pinch of black salt in each glass. for some tang, you can also add lemon or lime juice.
6. stir and mix everything very well. breaks small lumps if any with the spoon.
7. serve meetha sattu drink after mixing. or you can even chill and serve later. the flour settles down, so if serving later, do stir and serve.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe