Piyush is a smooth and creamy beverage popular in the Maharashtrian and Gujarati cuisine of western India.
To make piyush, shrikhand (a thick yogurt based dessert) and Buttermilk are whisked with the flavorings of nutmeg and cardamom. The nutmeg especially imparts a great deal of flavor and aroma to piyush.
Piyush is a bit similar to the popular beverage Lassi. But in comparison, it is thick, creamy and sweeter than lassi. Obviously, as shrikhand is added. Shrikhand itself is thick, creamy and sweet.
My recipe does not use buttermilk but homemade yogurt and milk. I used ready store brought shrikhand. With ready made shrikhand this cooling drink is quick and easy to make. Either buy cardamom shrikhand, saffron shrikhand or cardamom-saffron shrikhand. You can also make the shrikhand at home. Here is shrikhand recipe.
Piyush makes for an excellent summer cooler. good for both kids and adults alike. You actually have to drink piyush to know how good it is.
If you are looking for more drinks then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you'd like more delicious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspiration.
- 200 grams shrikhand - about 1 cup, (cardamom, saffron or cardamom-saffron flavored shrikhand)
- 1.5 cups yogurt (curd)
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk
- 2 to 3 tablespoon sugar or as required
- 2-3 green cardamom, powdered in a mortar-pestle to a fine powder
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg or nutmeg powder
- 6 to 7 pistachios, sliced
- 1 to 2 pinches of saffron
- First take the shrikhand, yogurt, milk, sugar, cardamom powder, nutmeg powder in a mixing bowl.
- With a hand held blender or a wired whisk or a madani (traditional hand held indian churner), just blend everything well till smooth and creamy. You can also blend in a jar in an electric blender. Keep the piyush in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours for it to get chilled.
- A suggestion is to add 2 tbsp sugar first. If the sweetness is less, then you can add 1 tbsp sugar later.
- Pour the chilled piyush in glasses, and top with pistachio or almond slices and saffron.
- Serve immediately. You can also keep the piyush for a day in the refrigerator.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
Two steps showing the making of piyush
1. First take the shrikhand, yogurt, milk, sugar, cardamom powder, nutmeg powder in a mixing bowl.
2. With a hand held blender or a wired whisk or a madani (traditional Indian wooden churner), just blend everything well till smooth and creamy. You can also blend in a jar in an electric blender. Keep the piyush in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours for it to get chilled. For a light yellow colored piyush drink, you can also add some crushed saffron while blending.