Litchi lemonade recipe – like Mangoes, litchis are another juicy fruit that makes an appearance in the Indian summers. So apart from having these sweet litchis, plain, I also made litchi lemonade.
Lychee lemonade is a sweet and slightly tangy drink with full flavors of the litchi and the lemons.
Seeing the litchi bunches on the road side stalls, I could not resist myself buying them in bulk and in the end decided to make this drink.
The red colored thin, leathery peel gives away to a sweet, juicy and a translucent whitish flesh, which has a taste which I cannot describe.
Litchi like mangoes and sapota tastes good when eaten plain. However you can also make milkshakes, smoothies and ice creams with them. This drink is ideal for summers or for monsoon time when you want to relish sipping a drink, accompanied with some background music or a book in your hand. Two more similar cooling recipes are:
On the health side, The litchi fruit is rich in vitamin C and minerals. on an average nine lychee fruits would meet an adult’s daily recommended vitamin C requirement.
If you are looking for more beverages then do check:
- 12-15 litchis or lychees
- 3.5 cups water at room temperature or chilled
- 1 large lemon or 2 medium sized lemons
- organic unrefined cane sugar as required
- a few mint leaves for garnishing (optional)
- lemon slices for garnishing (optional)
- few ice cubes (optional)
- Remove the leathery skin of the litchis.
- With your hands remove the fleshy pulp and discard the seeds.
- In a blender, make a smooth puree of the litchis.
- Tiny unblended bits and pieces are alright in the puree.
- In a jar, mix the litchi puree, lemon juice, water and sugar.
- Stir till the sugar dissolves.
- Pour in glasses topped with some ice cubes.
- Serve litchi lemonade immediately.
- While serving you can also garnish with few sprigs of mint leaves or lemon slices.
2. You can also refrigerate the litchi lemonade and server later.