Turmeric milk recipe with step by step photos. Turmeric milk is a healthy Indian drink made with just two ingredients – milk and turmeric powder. This is a traditional age-old remedy for fever, cold and cough and is still practiced widely in most Indian homes.
We have been drinking turmeric milk since our growing up years. This drink is known to build immunity and fight against illness, cold or whenever you need to boost your immunity.
Turmeric is well known in Ayurveda for its health benefits. It is believed that drinking turmeric milk before going to sleep keeps all sickness at bay. It is also getting popular in western countries and they call it turmeric latte or golden milk.
With so many health benefits of turmeric, you will be thinking about how to include it in your diet. In Indian cooking, we often add turmeric powder to many curries and dry veggie preparation. Apart from that you can make following recipes with turmeric.
I am sharing here the recipe for turmeric milk which I have been making for many years now. I just add turmeric powder in hot milk, stir and serve.
We do not have it sweet, as we are used to having it without the addition of any sweetener. But if you like the milk to be sweet, then add some sugar. Though adding sugar is entirely optional.
Some people also make turmeric milk with fresh turmeric roots. I always use turmeric powder. Here I have used organic turmeric powder for this recipe.
How to make turmeric milk
1. Heat 1 cup of milk in a saucepan on a low to medium flame.
2. Simmer the milk for 2 to 3 minutes or until it boils on low to medium flame. once the milk begins to boil, then switch off the gas.
3. pour the hot milk in a glass or mug.
4. Add ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder or haldi and a pinch of black pepper powder. Black pepper helps in the absorption of curcumin from the ground turmeric.
5. Stir and mix very well. Serve Turmeric milk hot or warm. It is best to drink the milk hot or warm.
6. Don’t let it cool down completely but also no need to burn the tongue. So drink the milk warm or at whatever temperature it suits you.
Few More Beverages
Please be sure to rate this recipe in the recipe card below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
- 250 ml milk or 1 cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (ground turmeric)
- 1 pinch black pepper powder or crushed black pepper
- Heat milk in a saucepan on a low to medium flame.
- Simmer the milk for 2 to 3 minutes or until it boils. Once the milk starts boiling, switch off the flame.
- Pour the hot milk in a glass or mug.
- Add turmeric powder and black pepper powder.
- Stir and mix very well
- Serve Turmeric Milk hot or warm.
- If you like the Turmeric Milk to be sweet, then you can add 1 teaspoon sugar to the milk, but its optional. Kids would like to have it with little bit of sugar.
- The recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.
- Optionally, you can also add crushed ginger, ginger juice, cinnamon powder or clove powder.
- You can also add honey but add it to warm milk and not to hot milk.