top 10 north indian breakfast recipes – breakfast is the most important meal of our day. so its best to have a filling and healthy breakfast as it keeps you running for the whole day, especially if you are a busy person.
usually i prepare healthy breakfast like roti-sabzi, chilla, bhurji, upma, poha, idli & dosa varieties and various parathas. generally on weekends i prepare idli or dosa or aloo poori or bread pakora. whereas the rest of the days its parathas, upma, poha or roti-sabzi. the best part is you can even pack this dishes in kids tiffin box. for parathas, to make more healthy, use less oil/ghee or you can even bake or grill them in an oven.
in this post, i have included the popular breakfast recipe prevalent in north india. some of them are heavy breakfast dishes and so better to have them on weekends. i have tried to include maximum breakfast recipes in this post, so that its easier for you to decide the menu.
top 10 north indian breakfast recipes:
1. aloo poori recipe – this yummy meal of poori with spiced potato curry is popular all over india. each region has its own variation. in maharashtra its called as poori bhaji and the potato curry is dry as compared to potato gravy served in north india. masala poori is also very popular in south india. for south version you can check this poori masala post. in north india, we love to dunk pooris not only in spiced potato curry but also in chole. so you can enjoy poori with various chole varieties like
2. aloo paratha recipe – parathas are kind of stable breakfast in north india specially in punjabi homes. just as we have many dosa varieties in south india, we have varieties of stuffed parathas in north india. aloo paratha is most popular paratha varieties made in home or served in road side dhabas.
- paneer paratha
- onion paratha
- pudina paratha (mint paratha)
- ajwain paratha (carom seeds paratha)
- chana dal paratha
- dhaba style aloo paratha.
3. bread pakora recipe – popular snack of bread pakoda stuffed with spiced mashed potatoes. bread pakora is a favorite breakfast and tea time snack in north india and is often made during weekends. its also a popular street food. you can serve bread pakora hot or warm with tomato ketchup or with any chutney of your choice like saunth chutney or mint chutney or coriander chutney.
there are many similar recipes you can make for breakfast or snack like:
- plain bread pakora (without any stuffing)
- bread rolls with stuffed potatoes
- cheese bread pakora
- paneer bread rolls
- baked bread potato rolls.
4. besan cheela recipe – besan cheela is a savory pancake made with gram flour (besan), spices & herbs. grated veggies can also be added to make the recipe more nutritious. you can serve the besan cheelas plain or accompany with coriander chutney, sweet tamarind chutney or tomato ketchup.
5. aloo kulcha recipe – crisp and soft leavened flat breads stuffed with a spiced potato stuffing. kulcha are very popular in punjabi homes specially in punjab and delhi and also a popular street food. there are few more popular variations like paneer kulcha or plain kulcha which is served with matar gravy made dried white peas (safed matar).
6. chole bhature recipe – probably this is one of the most popular street food recipe which is also had as breakfast. chole stands for a spicy curry made with white chickpeas and bhatura is fried leavened flat bread. you can serve bhatura with any spicy or curry chickpea recipe. i have posted four versions of delicious bhatura recipes:
- bhatura recipe
- quick aloo bhatura recipe
- easy bhatura recipe (you just need to keep the dough to leaven for about 2 hours)
- quick bread bhatura recipe (does not require yeast or any other leaving agents)
7. paneer bhurji recipe – a popular north indian breakfast recipe made from crumbled paneer. bhurji means scrambled. so in this dish, the paneer aka cottage cheese is scrambled.
there are other types of bhurji recipes that we make in north india like egg bhurji, matar paneer bhurji, palak paneer bhurji, tofu bhurji, mooli ki bhurji and paneer bhurji gravy recipe. most bhurji recipes are quick to make and ideal for breakfast. few more quick paneer recipes you can make are:
8. gobi paratha recipe – gobi paratha is another popular paratha from punjab which is made for breakfast. its also served in dhabas. apart from this there are many stuffed parathas which are made for breakfast like
9. dal kachori recipe – these flaky kachoris made with a spiced moong lentils stuffing. kachoris can be made and stored for a couple of days in the fridge. kachori goes well with tamarind dates chutney, green chutney or red chili garlic chutney. you can also have these kachoris with dubki wale aloo or aloo rasedar. some curd also goes well with kachoris. few more delicious kachori recipes posted on blog are
10. roti-sabzi combo – rotis made with whole wheat flour or atta are a staple in north india. usually dry sabzis are made for breakfast to accompany roti or plain parathas or lachedar paratha or jeera paratha. at times plain parathas is just served with an pickle like mango pickle or lemon pickle or green chilli pickle.
these dry sabzis are quick to make and can also be packed in tiffin boxes. few of the popular sabzis made for breakfast are:
- aloo gobi
- aloo matar
- bhindi masala
- gajar matar
- aloo capsicum
- jeera aloo
- aloo gajar matar
- bhindi do pyaza
- aloo moongre ki sabzi (potato and radish pods dry curry)
- bharwan karela
- aloo bhindi
- bandh gobi matar (cabbage and green peas dry curry)
- aloo french beans sabzi
- aloo baingan
- gobi matar
- kurkuri bhindi
- aloo gajar.
This post was last modified on October 26, 2017, 7:37 pm