paneer bhurji recipe with step by step photos – paneer bhurji is a popular and delicious north indian breakfast recipe made from crumbled paneer. bhurji means scrambled. so in this dish, the paneer aka cottage cheese is scrambled.
the whole dish is sauted onions-tomatoes with spices to which the crumbled paneer is added. its a quick recipe which does not take much time to prepare. best to have paneer bhurji hot with some bread or rolls or pav/indian bread, rotis or parathas and a cup of hot tea. paneer bhurji can also be served as a side dish.
there are other types of bhurji recipes that we make in north india like:
most bhurji recipes are quick to make and ideal for breakfast. in north india they are often had with rotis or phulkas. egg bhurji and paneer bhurji are quite popular and served in most north indian dhabas (road side eateries).
whenever i make any paneer dish at home then i prefer to make paneer at home rather than buying it from outside. you can make paneer at home in stove top.
paneer bhurji recipe below:
paneer bhurji recipe | punjabi style dry paneer bhurji recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 200 grams paneer, crumbled (cottage cheese)
- 1 medium sized onion (pyaaz) finely chopped
- 2 medium sized tomatoes (tamatar) finely chopped
- 1 or 2 green chillies (hari mirch) finely chopped
- 3 to 4 small garlic cloves + ½ inch ginger made to a paste in mortar-pestle or 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1.5 tablespoons oil, ghee, butter or white butter
- salt as required
- a few coriander leaves (dhania patta) for garnishing, optional
how to make recipe
preparation for paneer bhurji:
crumble the paneer (cottage cheese) and keep aside
chop the onions, tomatoes and green chillies. keep aside.
crush the ginger garlic in a mortar pestle and keep aside.
also remove the spice powders and keep aside.
making dry paneer bhurji recipe:
- heat oil or ghee or butter in a pan.
- add cumin seeds first if you are using them. once they get browned, add onions. when the onions become translucent, add ginger-garlic paste and chopped green chilies.
- saute till the raw aroma of the ginger-garlic goes away.
- then add tomatoes and cook till they become soft. you can add a pinch of salt so that the tomatoes get cooked faster.
- now add all the dry spice powders - turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala powder.
- stir the spice powders.
- then, add the crumbled paneer and let it cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- don't cook the paneer for a long time as they harden and loose their softness.
- lastly add chopped coriander leaves to paneer bhurji and mix.
serve paneer bhurji hot with bread toast. you can also serve paneer bhurji with rotis, plain parathas or as a side dish.
this approximate nutrition info is per serving:
lets start step by step paneer bhurji recipe:
1. crumble the paneer/cottage cheese and keep aside.
2. heat oil or ghee or butter in a pan. add cumin seeds and crackle them.
3. then add onions.
4. when the onions become translucent, add chopped ginger-garlic paste and chili. saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
5. then add tomatoes.
6. cook tomatoes till they become soft. you can add also add a pinch of salt so that the tomatoes get cooked faster.
7. now add all the spice powders. stir and mix well.
8. finally, add the crumbled paneer. stir and cook for 1 to 2 minutes
9. don’t cook the paneer for a long time as they harden and loose their softness. lastly add chopped coriander leaves to paneer bhurji and mix.
10. serve paneer bhurji with bread toast. you can also serve paneer bhurji with rotis, plain parathas or as a side dish.