kulcha recipe with step by step photos and video – kulcha is a popular indian flat bread from north india, especially punjab. kulcha are very famous in amritsar and delhi. but the best kulchas are made in amritsar.
yeast is not used in the leavening of this bread unlike naan. here curd and baking soda and baking powder are used to leaven the bread. i don’t like the soapy smell of baking soda in breads hence have used less amount of it and thus added baking powder too.
kulcha is often served with punjabi chole or with amritsari chole. kulcha can also be had warm with some tea or coffee. i made the kulcha to go with matar kulcha – the famous delhi street food made with dry white peas.
kulcha recipe details below:
kulcha recipe on tawa or griddle
kulcha recipe - popular soft leavened north indian flat bread. kulcha can be made in the tandoor as well as on a tava or griddle.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 2.5 cups all purpose flour (maida)
- 4 tablespoon yogurt (dahi or curd). or 3 tablespoon yogurt + 1 tablespoon milk. i used cashew curd
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- approx ¾ cup water for kneading - add more if required
- 2 to 2.5 teaspoon sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt or as required
- 2.5 tablespoon oil or ghee
- some oil or ghee or butter for frying
- extra flour for dusting
- a few nigella seeds (kalonji)
how to make recipe
making kulcha dough:
- mix the maida or all purpose flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl.
- make a well in the center. add the curd, oil and water.
- begin to mix the flour with the liquids first and then start to knead. make a smooth and soft dough.
- in the same bowl or pan, cover the dough with a wet kitchen napkin and let the dough ferment for 2 hours.
rolling and making kulcha on tawa:
- make small balls of the dough. sprinkle some nigella seeds on the ball.
with the rolling pin (belan) flatten the dough and roll each into a small sized kulcha.
heat a griddle or a tava. place the kulcha on the tawa.
- cook one side partly till its 1/4 cooked. flip and cook the other side till its 1/2 cooked.
- apply ghee or oil on both sides of kulcha whilst cooking.
- cook the kulcha till it get golden spots and is evenly cooked. make all kulchas this way.
- serve the kulcha hot or warm with chana or chole.
- the kulchas can also be stacked in a roti basket and then served warm.
lets start step by step kulcha recipe:
1. mix the maida or all purpose flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl. make a well in the center.
2. add the curd, oil and water.
3. begin to mix the flour with the liquids first and then start to knead.
4. make a smooth and soft dough.
5. in the same bowl or pan, cover the dough with a wet kitchen napkin. you can also lightly brush some water on the dough and cover the pan with a lid.
6. let the dough leaven for 2 hours.
7. lightly knead the leavened dough again.
8. make small balls of the dough. sprinkle some nigella seeds on the ball. with the rolling pin flatten the dough and roll each into a small sized kulcha on a lightly dusted rolling board.
9. heat a griddle or a tava. the tava has to be very hot. place the kulcha on the tava.
10. cook one side partly till its ¼ cooked.
11. flip and cook the other side till its ½ cooked. apply ghee or oil on both sides of kulcha whilst cooking.
12. cook the kulcha till it get golden spots and is evenly cooked. make all kulchas this way.
kulcha can be made plain or stuffed. you can also stuff kulcha with potato filling as shown in the aloo paratha post. you can make different variations of kulcha like onion, paneer or pudina (mint) kulcha. in amritsar (punjab) you will get the best kulcha served in india.
video showing the process of making kulcha at home.