kadhai paneer gravy recipe with step by step photos. slightly spicy, tangy and delicious kadai paneer recipe. it is one of the most easy to prepare yet delicious paneer recipe.
the recipe gets its name ‘kadai paneer’ as it is made in a kadai (kadhai or karahi). kadai is a utensil which is similar to the chinese wok – the only difference being, kadai has more depth than the wok. in fact in india, the kadai is used as an utensil for deep frying as well as to make many dishes like:
this delicious kadhai paneer recipe is a gravy version. its easy to prepare. you can make it at times when you get unexpected guests, or you are too tired or in no mood to go for an elaborate cooking process. there is one more recipe of semi dry kadai paneer with video also posted the blog – restaurant style kadai paneer.
to make karahi paneer gravy, you will need paneer in handy and the usual indian herbs and spices. the recipe uses a lot of tomatoes. for the base i have added onions, tomatoes and freshly roasted and powdered coriander seeds and kashmiri red chilies. both these spices impart a lot of flavor in the dish.
tips for making kadhai paneer gravy
- the kadai paneer gravy or curry is tangy and this comes from the tomatoes. if you prefer to balance the tang, then add some cream towards the end.
- use fresh red and ripe tomatoes in this recipe. avoid using tomatoes which are sour.
- the recipe is slightly spicy. reduce the quantity of red chilies if you don’t want any spiciness.
- the dry kashmiri red chillies added here, give a nice red color to the gravy accompanied with the tomatoes. kashmiri chilies have less heat as compared to other varieties of red chilies. if you don’t have kashmiri chilies, then use any indian dry red chillies. just reduce the quantity depending on the heat and pungency of the chilies.
since this kadhai paneer is a gravy recipe, it goes well with the usual rotis, parathas or rumali roti or naan and also equally well with plain steamed rice or jeera rice. the kadhai paneer is again adapted from jigg kalra’s recipe.
if you are looking for more paneer gravy recipes then i suggest following paneer recipes with gravy:
kadhai paneer gravy
Ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
main ingredients for kadhai paneer gravy
- 250 to 300 grams paneer (cottage cheese)
- 1 small to medium capsicum (green bell pepper), julienned
- 1.5 inch ginger + 7 to 8 medium sized garlic, crushed in a mortar-pestle to a fine paste
- 1 to 2 green chilies, chopped
- 2 medium sized onions OR 100 grams onions, finely chopped
- 7 medium tomatoes OR 500 to 550 grams tomatoes (2 tomatoes, finely chopped and 5 tomatoes, pureed in a blender)
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ tablespoon crushed kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- ½ to ¾ cup water, add as required
- 2 tablespoons cream, (25 to 30% fat) - OPTIONAL
- 3 tablespoons butter or oil or ghee
- a few chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- salt as required
for the kadai masala
- 5 teaspoons coriander seeds (sabut dhania)
- 4 to 5 dry kashmiri red chilies, if using any other variety of dry red chilies, then reduce to 2 to 4 depending on the heat and pungency of the chilies.
How to Make Recipe
preparation for kadhai paneer gravy
- first roast the coriander and dry kashmiri red chilies in a pan on a low flame till aromatic.
- when the spices cool, grind both of them in a grinder to a semi fine powder. keep aside.
- finely chop the onions. julienne (cut into very thin strips) the capscium/green bell pepper.
- finely chop 2 tomatoes. roughly chop 5 tomatoes and add them to the blender. make a puree of the tomatoes. keep the tomato puree aside.
- crush the ginger-garlic to a fine paste in a mortar-pestle.
making kadhai paneer gravy
- in a pan heat butter or oil or ghee. then add the ginger-garlic paste and saute till their raw aroma disappears.
- then add the chopped onions and saute till transparent.
- add the ground coriander and kashmiri red chilli powder that we made. also add green chilies. mix well.
- then add the finely chopped tomatoes and sauté till the tomatoes become pulpy and you see oil releasing from the sides of the tomato masala.
- then add tomato puree.
- stir well and continue to saute till you see oil leaving the sides. about 9 to 10 mins on a low flame.
- add the capsicum/green bell pepper julienne. stir and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- add water and salt and continue to simmer for some 7 to 8 minutes.
- later add crushed kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves and garam masala powder and stir.
- add the paneer cubes or slices. stir gently. cook the paneer for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- you can also 2 tbsp of cream toward the end. just stir the cream gently in the kadhai paneer gravy.
- garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve kadhai paneer gravy with rotis, naan, steamed rice or jeera rice.
how to make kadhai paneer gravy
1. first roast 5 teaspoon coriander seeds and 4 to 5 dry kashmiri red chilies in a pan on a low flame till aromatic.
2. when the spices cool, grind both of them in a grinder to a semi fine or fine powder. avoid keeping the powder coarse as then the gravy has grits and the masala comes in the mouth while eating.
3. in a pan heat 2 to 3 tablespoon butter or oil or ghee. then add the ginger garlic paste (1.5 inch ginger, chopped + 7 to 8 medium sized chopped garlic, crushed in a mortar-pestle to a fine paste). saute till their raw aroma disappears.
4. then add 2 medium sized chopped onions (100 grams) and saute till transparent.
5. add the freshly ground coriander and kashmiri red chili powder. also add 1 to 2 chopped green chillies.
6. mix and stir well.
7. add 2 medium finely chopped tomatoes. saute till the tomatoes soften and become pulpy. you will also see oil releasing from the sides of the onion-tomato masala. then only add the tomato puree (5 medium tomatoes, pureed in a blender).
8. stir well and continue to saute till you see oil leaving the sides. about 9 to 10 mins on a low to medium-low flame.
9. add 1 small to medium sized capsicum (green bell pepper) julienne. stir and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes on a low to medium flame.
10. add ½ to ¾ cup water and salt (as required). continue to simmer for some 7 to 8 minutes. once the gravy is done, you will some oil specks on the top.
11. then add ½ tablespoon crushed kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) and ¾ to 1 teaspoon garam masala powder. stir the kadai paneer gravy.
12. then add 250 to 300 grams paneer cubes or slices. stir gently.
13. simmer till the paneer is cooked, for about 1 to 2 minutes. don’t over cook the paneer as then it will become hard and you won’t get the desired texture in the paneer. once the paneer is cooked, then you can also add 2 tablespoons cream. just gently mix the cream in the gravy.
14. garnish with chopped coriander leaves or grated paneer. serve kadhai paneer gravy with rotis, naan, steamed rice or jeera rice or biryani rice.