gajar matar recipe with step by step photos – a dish which is a regular in my home – dry sauted carrot and peas…. in hindi gajar are carrots and matar are green peas.
simplicity is a the key of this recipe. the three ingredients that flavor the carrot and peas are cumin, green chilies and ginger. that’s it.
this is my mom-in-law’s recipe. i simply love it when i share a recipe which i have learnt in my family and which is a regular at my home. this is also a no onion and no garlic recipe.
as a variation, sometimes we also add potatoes in this gajar matar sabzi. you can check this aloo gajar matar recipe. few similar recipes are dry aloo matar, aloo capsicum, aloo gobi, aloo baingan and aloo gobi matar.
the best thing about these dishes is that they are very easy to make. simple and quick recipes made with minimal ingredients and goes well with roti or as a side dish. simple comforting indian food.
the sweetness of the carrots gets very well balanced by the chilies and ginger. the dish is finished off with a sprinkle of the punjabi garam masala. and there you go….
you have an aromatic, spiced and delectable gajar matar to be had with some phulkas or parathas or as a side dish with dal-rice combo or kadhi-rice or curd rice. if you are having this dish with rotis then plain curd will also go well.
gajar matar recipe card below:
gajar matar sabzi recipe - delicious dry sauted carrots and fresh green peas.
- 4 to 5 medium size carrots (gajar)
- 1 cup green peas (matar) - fresh or frozen
- 1 teaspoon cumin (jeera)
- 1 inch ginger (adrak) - finely chopped or grated
- 1 or 2 green chilies (hari mirch)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder) - OPTIONAL
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder or punjabi garam masala
- 2 tablespoon oil
- ½ cup water
- a few chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta) for garnishing, - OPTIONAL
- rock salt or regular salt as required
peel, rinse and chop the carrots (gajar).
heat oil in a pan or kadai. add the cumin and saute them.
add the ginger and green chilies. if you want then you can also add red chilli powder at this step.
saute for a minute or till the raw smell of the ginger disappears.
add the carrots and green peas (matar) along with the salt. saute for 3-4 minutes.
add 1/2 cup water and stir. cover and let the veggies cook. keep on checking and stirring in between
if the veggies start to get browned, add some more water.
cook the veggies for 15-20 minutes till they are done. sprinkle garam masala and stir well.
garnish gajar matar sabzi with coriander leaves.
serve gajar matar sabzi hot with some phulkas or parathas or as a side dish with dal-rice combo or kadhi-rice or curd rice.
how to make gajar matar recipe:
1. peel, rinse and chop carrots (gajar). heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pan or kadai. add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera) and saute them.
2. add 1 inch finely chopped ginger and 1 to 2 chopped green chilies. if you want then you can also add ½ teaspoon red chilli powder at this step.
3. saute for a minute or till the raw smell of the ginger disappears.
4. add 4 to 5 medium sized chopped carrots.
5. next add 1 cup green peas (matar).
6. saute for 3-4 minutes.
7. add rock salt or regular salt as required.
8. add ½ cup water.
9. stir well.
10. cover and let the veggies cook.
11. keep on checking and stirring in between. if the veggies start to get browned, add some more water.
12. cook the veggies for 15-20 minutes till they are done. add ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder and stir well.