Jeera aloo recipe With step by step photos. Potatoes spiced with cumin and herbs. Jeera aloo is one of the simple, easy and quick to prepare recipe. Gluten-free and vegan.
This delicious aloo jeera recipe can be easily made when you have less time or want to make a quick lunch or dinner.
To make jeera aloo, you just need to boil some potatoes first and then saute them with spices. If you already have boiled potatoes, then making jeera aloo becomes very quick.
In this recipe, you can also add some ginger if you want. Since this is a no onion no garlic recipe, you can also add a pinch of asafoetida (hing).
Serve jeera aloo with pooris, parathas or phulkas. You can also serve this jeera aloo as a side dish with dal-rice or roti sabzi combo.
How to make jeera aloo
1. Rinse 5 to 6 medium-sized potatoes a couple of times in water.
2. Boil or steam potatoes along with ½ teaspoon salt, till they are cooked well. You can steam them in a pan or an electric rice cooker or boil them in a pressure cooker for 2 to 3 whistles. If cooking in a pressure cooker, then add enough water which just about covers the potatoes.
3. The potatoes should be just cooked. They should not be crumbly.
4. When the potatoes cool down or become warm, then peel them and chop in small cubes.
5. Measure all the ingredients and keep ready.
Making jeera aloo
6. In a pan, heat 3 tablespoons oil. Let the oil become hot. You can heat oil on medium flame.
7. Add 2.5 teaspoons cumin seeds (jeera) and let them crackle in oil. Stir quickly as the cumin seeds will begin to crackle in oil quickly.
8. Once the cumin seeds crackle and change color, then add 2 to 3 finely chopped green chilies.
9. Mix very well.
10. Then add the boiled potato cubes.
11. Mix potato cubes well with the cumin seeds and green chilies.
12. Sprinkle ½ teaspoon turmeric powder and ½ teaspoon red chili powder. Also, add salt as per taste.
13. Saute the potatoes for 2 to 3 minutes on low to medium flame stirring often.
14. Then add 3 to 4 teaspoons lemon juice. For a less sour taste you can add less lemon juice.
15. Next add ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves.
16. Mix the whole mixture well and then switch off the flame.
17. Serve jeera aloo hot with chapatis, phulkas, pooris, plain paratha or bread. You can also serve aloo jeera as a side dish with roti sabzi or dal rice combo.
More Aloo recipes
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
for cooking potatoes
- 5 to 6 medium size boiled potatoes (aloo)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- water as required
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2.5 teaspoons cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 to 3 green chilies, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- salt as required
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves (cilantro leaves)
- 3 to 4 teaspoons lemon juice or add as per taste
- Rinse 5 to 6 medium sized potatoes a couple of times in water.
- If pressure cooking then add enough water which just about covers the potatoes. Add about ½ teaspoon salt. Then pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles on medium flame.
- You can even boil or steam the potatoes with ½ teaspoon salt in pan, till they are cooked well. the potatoes should be just cooked. They should not be crumbly.
- When the potatoes become warm or cool down, then peel them and cut into small cubes.
making jeera aloo
- In a pan, heat 3 tablespoons oil on medium flame. Let the oil become hot.
- Add 2.5 teaspoons cumin seeds and let them crackle in the oil.
- Now add 2 to 3 chopped green chillies. mix very well.
- Add the potato cubes. Mix it well with the cumin seeds and green chilies.
- Sprinkle ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon red chili powder and salt as required.
- Saute the potatoes for 2 to 3 minutes on low to medium flame stirring often.
- Next add ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves and 3 to 4 teaspoons lemon juice.
- Mix the whole mixture well. Then switch off the flame.
- Serve jeera aloo hot with phulkas, pooris or parathas or bread.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.