Shimla mirch ki sabji recipe with step by step photos. Stir-fried spiced potatoes with green bell peppers (capsicum). Vegan, gluten-free and a no onion and no garlic recipe.
This aloo shimla mirch sabji is a simple, easy and tasty recipe made with minimal ingredients. My mom-in-law’s fab recipe made with capsicum and potatoes. Another rich variation of this recipe is this Aloo capisum with a semi-dry gravy.
I usually add potatoes in this recipe as not everyone is fond of capsicum in the family. However, you can make this dish without potatoes also. If skipping potatoes, replace them with capsicum or any other vegetable in the same proportion.
This is a Punjabi recipe of making shimla mirch ki sabji. A dry vegetable recipe that has no liquids. Besides the capsicum and potatoes, just a few Indian spice powders are used in this dish. No onions, no tomatoes and no ginger or garlic.
I first had this spiced dish back at my in law’s place. I am not so fond of capsicum and rarely use them in recipes, even Indo Chinese ones, where capsicum is almost added.
However, this capsicum ki sabji is an exception to the rule. I make this often and is one dish where is much relished in the family.
This aloo shimla mirch Goes well with chapatis or phulkas or parathas. It can also be served as a side dish with dal-rice combination too.
How to make shimla mirch ki sabji
1. Rinse capsicum and potatoes in running water and then drain the water.
2. Measure and keep all the spice powders and other ingredients ready.
3. Dice or chop 3 to 4 medium-sized capsicum in thick strips or wedges.
4. Next peel 3 to 4 medium-sized potatoes.
5. Slice the potatoes into slightly thin wedges as then they are easier and faster to cook. Or you can just chop them.
Making shimla mirch ki sabzi
6. In a wok or kadai, add 2 to 3 tablespoons oil.
7. Once the oil becomes medium hot, first add the sliced potatoes.
8. Saute the potatoes on a low flame in oil, till they are half cooked and start looking crisp from the edges.
9. Then add the sliced capsicum.
10. Mix well and saute both the veggies in the oil keeping the flame low for 1 to 2 minutes.
11. Add ½ teaspoon turmeric powder and ½ to ¾ teaspoon red chili powder.
12. Next add salt as required.
13. Stir and mix very well.
14. Let the vegetables gently get sauteed in the oil on a slow flame without any lid for 2 to 3 minutes.
15. Then cover the kadai or wok with a lid.
16. Remember to check it after a few minutes or so. This is done so that the vegetables don’t get burnt. So stir the veggies at intervals.
17. When the vegetables are cooked well, then add ¾ to 1 teaspoon garam masala powder and 1 teaspoon amchur powder (dry mango powder).
18. Mix well and switch off the flame. Check the taste of aloo shimla mirch sabji and adjust the spices and salt as per your taste and preference.
19. Serve Aloo Shimla mirch sabji hot with phulkas or rotis. It can also be served as a side vegetable or dish.
Few more veggie recipes for you!
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you'd like more delicious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspiration.
Shimla Mirch ki Sabji
- 3 to 4 medium capsicum (green bell pepper or shimla mirch)
- 3 or 4 medium potatoes
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (ground turmeric)
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon red chilli powder add as required
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder or add as required
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder), add as required
- 2 to 3 tablespoon oil (there is an extra oil that we add, so that the veggies become slightly crisp)
- salt as required
- Rinse capsicum and potatoes in running water and then drain the water.
- Dice or chop 3 to 4 medium-sized capsicum in thick strips or wedges.
- Peel 3 to 4 medium sized potatoes. Slice the potatoes into slightly thin wedges as then they are easier and faster to cook. Or you can just chop them.
making shimla mirch ki sabji
- In a wok or kadai, add oil. Once the oil becomes medium hot, first add the potatoes.
- Saute the potatoes in oil, till they are half cooked and start looking crisp from the edges.
- Then add the capsicum.
- Saute both the veggies in the oil keeping the flame low for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Then add turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Let the vegetables gently get sauteed in the oil on a slow flame without any lid for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Then cover the kadai or wok with a lid.
- Remember to check it after a few minutes or so. This is done so that the aloo shimla mirch don't get burnt. So stir the veggies at intervals.
- When the vegetables are cooked, add garam masala powder and amchur powder.
- Mix well and switch off the flame.
- Check the taste of sabji and adjust the spices and salt as per your taste and preference.
- Serve shimla mirch ki sabji hot with phulkas or rotis. It can also be served as a side vegetable or dish.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later