aloo gajar matar recipe with step by step photos – this is a punjabi style delicious dry veggie dish made from aloo (potatoes), gajar (carrots) and matar (peas).
this is a very easy and simple veggie dish which not need much cooking experience. even bachelors or first time cooks can make it easily. so when you are short of time or low in energy then try this recipe.
the entire dish is cooked in the pressure cooker, but you can also cook in a pan. i have mentioned the amount of water to be added in this case, in the recipe notes below.
this gajar aloo matar recipe uses very less ingredients and is not heavily spiced. also this is a satvik no onion no garlic recipe. we usually prepare aloo gajar matar this way.
i also make gajar matar this way. a few more simple recipes are:
this aloo gajar matar goes best with rotis or parathas along with a side mango pickle or lime pickle. it also goes well as a side dish with dal rice combo. the aloo gajar matar can also be served for tiffin or lunch box with soft chapatis.
aloo gajar matar recipe below:
aloo gajar matar recipe | dry gajar aloo matar recipe
aloo gajar matar recipe - quick and easy dry curry made with potatoes, carrots and peas. no onion no garlic recipe.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 3 medium sized potatoes (aloo) Or 220 to 230 grams potatoes Or 1.5 cups chopped potatoes
- 2 medium carrots (gajar) Or 150 grams carrots Or 1 cup chopped carrots
- ¾ cups peas (matar) - fresh or frozen
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 inch ginger (adrak) - finely chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilies (hari mirch) - finely chopped
- 1 pinch asafoedita (hing)
- 2 to 3 tablespoon water
- 1.5 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- salt as required
how to make recipe?
preparation for aloo gajar matar:
rinse the vegetables in water.
peel and then chop the potatoes and carrots into small pieces or you can even chop them into cubes.
also finely chop the ginger and green chilli.
making aloo gajar matar:
- heat oil in a pressure cooker. add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- add the chopped ginger and green chillies in pressure cooker.
- saute for about 20 seconds.
- then add all the vegetables - potatoes, peas and carrots. add asafoetida/hing and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- add salt and 3 tbsp water. close the pressure cooker tightly with its lid. pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles till the vegetables become tender.
- once the pressure drops on its own, remove the lid of the cooker.
- if there is any water or moisture in the cooker, then simmer the veggies till all the water is evaporated.
- check the seasoning and add more salt if required.
- lastly add coriander leaves and give a stir.
- serve gajar aloo matar hot with rotis or chapatis or as a side dish with dal rice combo.
for cooking in a pan: add about 5 to 6 tbsp water and cover the lid tightly and simmer till the veggies are tender. in case the water dries up whilst cooking, then add some water and continue to cook.
step by step aloo gajar matar recipe:
1. rinse the vegetables in water. peel and then chop potatoes, carrots. also chop the ginger and green chilli. chop the potatoes and carrots into small pieces or you can even chop them into cubes.
2. heat oil in a pressure cooker. after 1-2 minutes, add cumin and saute till cumin starts spluttering.
3. add the chopped ginger and green chillies in pressure cooker.
4. add all the vegetables – potatoes, peas and carrots. add asafoetida and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. then add salt and 2 to 3 tbsp water. close the pressure cooker and cook for 2 to 3 whistles till the vegetables become tender.
6. serve aloo gajar matar with rotis or parathas. it can also be served as a side dish with dal rice combo. back home, we have aloo gajar matar with rotis and plain curd.