bread roll recipe with step by step photos – crisp and tasty bread roll with a soft spiced mashed potato filling. bread roll is a tasty snack that can be made in a jiffy if you have leftover boiled potatoes. these bread roll are a favorite at home and i usually pair them with the evening chai as a snack.
the first time i had these bread roll were in my school canteen. a middle aged lady in her 40’s whom everybody used to call as aunty would make these at home and get them during the break hour.
she would carry them in large steel dabbas (jars) and they would be still warm when she would serve them to us. they were served with a white peas curry which would be hot enough with the warm bread roll. i seriously got addicted to this combo of bread roll with the peas curry. i would often make a beeline to have the bread roll as they would sell like hot cakes. she would also get idlis and vadas with coconut chutney. an option i had no choice to have when the bread roll would get over.
then i had no clue how these bread roll are made. so when we were demonstrated the roll in our home science cooking lab and then when i finally got to have them…. i clearly got the connection…. these were the same roll that aunty used to make. so long to know the how to aspect of making these bread roll.
when i make the stuffing, i usually use the same potato stuffing that i use for the aloo parathas. we prefer a little sourness in the potato stuffing, so i add either dry mango powder or anardana powder (dry pomegranate powder).
we also collectively prefer the taste of anardana in potato stuffings for samosa, tikki, paratha rather than dry mango powder. this recipe used anardana powder. you can try both and choose what you or your family likes the best.
to make the bread roll, i have used multi grain bread. you can use whole wheat, brown or even white bread. even a bread two to three days old works well. in case you might be interested in the baked version, then you can check this bread cheese roll recipe. another similar recipe you can check is – bread paneer roll recipe.
if you are looking for more snacks recipes then do check:
bread roll recipe below:
bread roll recipe - crisp and tasty bread roll with a soft spiced mashed potato filling.
- 5 to 6 slices of brown bread or multi grain bread or white bread
- 2 medium sized potatoes (aloo)
- ½ teaspoon dry pomegranate seeds (anardana) OR ½ teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder)
- ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper OR ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 green chilli - chopped (hari mirch)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala
- 2 to 3 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- salt as required
boil the potatoes. when they are still warm, peel and mash them and keep aside.
- crush the dry pomegranate seeds to a powder in a mortar-pestle.
- add the pomengranate powder, crushed black pepper, red chili powder, chopped green chilies, coriander leaves, garam masala powder, cumin powder and chaat masala powder and salt.
- mix the whole filling well.
- make small to medium rolls of the filling depending on the size of the bread and how many you are going to use.
- taste and add more salt or spice powders if required.
- take a slice of bread and dampen it with water,
- squeeze the water from the bread.
- place the filling in the center of the bread.
- roll the bread and close the edges so as to get an even outer cover.
make all bread roll this way and keep aside.
- heat oil in a kadai or vok.
when the oil becomes medium hot, then add stuffed bread roll.
the oil has to be moderately hot. if the oil is not hot enough, the moist bread will absorb a lot of oil. if the oil is very hot, the bread will brown quickly and unevenly with uncooked insides.
fry the bread roll till they become crisp and golden in color.
drain the bread roll on kitchen paper tissues to remove excess oil.
serve the bread roll hot with tomato sauce or green chutney.
tips for making stuffed bread rolls recipe:
- if making for children, then skip the green chilies and red chili powder.
- the recipe can be doubled or tripled.
- you can use whole wheat bread or brown bread or even white bread.
how to make bread roll recipe:
1. boil the potatoes, peel and mash them. add all the spices, herbs and salt and mix well. make small to medium rolls of potato filling depending on the size of the bread.
2. take a slice of bread and dip it in a plate filled with water.
3. just let the bread absorb the water. it should get damp but not overly. otherwise the bread slice breaks. the idea is to make the bread moist enough so that it becomes pretty flexible which would make the rolling and shaping easier… on similar lines like a pastry dough (though pastry dough is very easy than a soaked drained bread). press the bread between your palms so that the excess water is drained.
4. place the prepared potato stuffing roll on on bread slice.
5. roll the bread and join the edges. there should not be any exposed potato filling as when frying they will leak out in the oil. if there are any exposed edges, then just cover with a piece of soaked and drained bread and press it to get an even cover. forming the bread roll is not so easy part for beginners and with practice you will learn.
6. make all the stuffed bread roll this way.
7. heat oil for deep frying or shallow frying in a kadai or pan. when the oil becomes medium hot, then add bread roll. fry the bread roll till they become crisp and golden in color. the oil has to be moderately hot. if the oil is not hot enough, the moist bread will absorb a lot of oil. if the oil is very hot, the bread will brown quickly and unevenly with uncooked insides.
8. drain the bread roll on kitchen paper tissues to remove excess oil.