Aloo Beans Recipe – Spiced and Tasty Beans and Potatoes Stir Fry made in Punjabi Style. This easy and quick to prepare Punjabi recipe is made with minimum ingredients and yet taste very good.
Generally, few people are fond of French Beans. I myself was never fond of them. But after I learned this Authentic Punjabi aloo beans ki sabzi recipe from my mother-in-law, I started relishing french beans. Its a simple recipe that does not call for much time or many ingredients. This is a dry vegetable recipe that does not use water or other liquids. I make this often when I want something easy and healthy to make.
Two more French Beans recipes which I make at times are:
This aloo beans recipe can also be made with Capsicum instead of French Beans. The rest of the ingredients remain the same. You will find the link for the recipe here -> Aloo Capsicum Recipe.
Few tips for making Aloo Beans Recipe
- For the beans and aloo to cook faster, it is better if you cover the pan or kadai with a lid or plate. To ensure that the veggies don’t get burnt, add some water on the lid of the pan. This is applicable only if you are using an external lid which can hold water. If you are using a pan which has its own lid, then just cover it and let the french beans and potatoes cook on slow fire. Generally, when we make this beans aloo recipe at home, we just let the veggies cook in the kadhai on a slow flame without covering it with the lid. However, If you choose to cover with the lid then the veggies will cook fast but will lose their crispiness.
- If you add 2-3 tsp of pav bhaji masala to this aloo beans recipe, it tastes great.
- If you want the aloo beans sabzi to be a little more tangy, then you can add ½ to 1 tsp of more amchur powder.
- Instead of vegetable oil, you could also use ghee or even olive oil to make this recipe.
You can serve beans aloo ki sabzi hot with rotis and curd. It can also be served as a side dish with dal rice combo.
Few more tasty recipes for you!
Aloo Beans Recipe
- 250 grams french beans
- 3 or 4 potatoes (aloo)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon amchur powder (dry mango powder) or according to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoon oil or ghee
- salt - as per taste
- Start by cleaning and cutting the french beans and potatoes.
- in a thick bottomed kadai or pan add the oil. When the oil becomes hot, add the potatoes and saute them for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Then add the beans and saute both the veggies for 8 to 10 minutes on a low flame.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt as required.
- After 8-10 minutes the veggies will get cooked. Now add the amchur powder and garam masala powder. Stir.
- Serve the aloo beans with rotis and curd. This aloo french beans sabzi can also be served as a side veggie dish. the sweetened curd goes very well with this beans aloo sabzi.
NUTRITION INFO (approximate values)
How to make Beans Aloo or Aloo Beans ki Sabzi
1: Start by cleaning and cutting the french beans and aloo. In a thick bottomed kadai or pan add the oil. When the oil becomes hot, add the aloo. Stir. Reduce the flame and let the aloo slow cook for some time. Keep on stirring in between.
2: Later add the green beans and saute it with potatoes for a few minutes.
3: Add ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon red chilli powder and salt as required. Let the vegetables gently get sauteed in the oil on slow flame. This will take some time.
4: If you want the vegetables to cook quickly then you can cover the kadai or wok with a lid. But, remember to check it after a few minutes or so. If you cover the veggies they will loose their crispiness. But works when you are in a hurry. I don’t cover the kadai when cooking this recipe. I just cook it on a slow flame. Takes some time but worth it. When the vegetables are cooked, then add garam masala powder and amchur powder (dry mango powder).
5: Serve Aloo beans ki sabzi hot with phulkas and curd. This can also be served as a side vegetable dish. The sweetened curd goes very well with this beans aloo sabzi.