lachha paratha recipe with step by step photos – lachha paratha or lachedar paratha is a popular paratha variety from north india, made from whole wheat flour.
its also called as paratwala paratha. in punjabi “parat” means layer and layers can be seen on the paratha when it gets cooked. its south indian counterpart is the parotta which is made from all purpose flour and eggs.
lachha paratha is an easy paratha to make. there are some 2 to 3 techniques used for making these parathas. i usually make the lachha parathas using this technique and one more technique. these work for me and i find them simple and easy. you can also check this pudina paratha recipe where i have shared more photos of preparing the layered paratha.
i usually make the paratha of medium thickness. if you make them more thick then more layers will be visible but then you have to cook the paratha really very well so that it is not left uncooked from inside.
serve the lachha parathas hot with any vegetable curry like aloo matar, veg kadai, veg handi or with paneer curry recipes like paneer butter masala, matar paneer, kadai paneer, paneer makhani or with mango pickle.
how to make lachha paratha
1: in a bowl or vessel take 2 cups whole wheat flour along with salt as per taste.
2. add 1 to 2 teaspoons of ghee or oil.
3. next add water as required in parts.
4. knead the whole wheat flour with water to a smooth dough. cover and keep aside for 20 to 30 minutes.
5. later make medium sized balls from the dough. cover the bowl or the pan with a napkin or lid.
rolling lachha paratha
6. take one dough ball on a rolling board or chakla. lightly dust it with some flour.
7. roll it into 6 to 7 inches diameter thin disc. sprinkle flour while rolling.
8. apply ghee or oil liberally on the paratha disc.
9. sprinkle some whole wheat flour on top.
10. from the edge start folding and pelating the as shown in the pic below.
11. keep on pleating it like shown in the picture image or you can also fold it like a paper fan. do this till you come to the end.
12. roll the pleated dough in a tight cirlce. join the edges.
13. dust some flour and now start rolling again.
14. rolled lachedar paratha ready to be put on tawa or griddle.
roasting lachha paratha on tawa
15. heat the tawa or griddle. place the paratha on the hot tawa.
16. turn the paratha when one side is partly cooked.
17. apply ghee on this side.
18. now turn again and apply ghee on the other side. flip again for a couple of times, till the lachha parathas are browned evenly and well cooked. press the sides with the spatula while frying the parathas. alternatively, you could also add some ghee on the tava and then fry them.
serve the lachha paratha hot with any curry recipe like palak paneer, kadai paneer, kadai mushroom, chana masala, veg korma or with mango pickle. you can also squish the paratha in your palms (take care as they will be hot) so that the layers are visible and then serve.
more paratha recipes
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1 to 2 teaspoon ghee or oil
- salt as required
- water as required for kneading
- ghee or oil as required for applying on the dough as well as roasting
kneading paratha dough
- in a bowl or vessel take 2 cups whole wheat flour along with salt as per taste.
- add 1 to 2 teaspoons of ghee or oil. next add water as required in parts.
- knead the whole wheat flour with water to a smooth dough. cover and keep aside for 20 to 30 minutes.
- later make medium sized balls from the dough. cover the bowl or the pan with a napkin or lid.
rolling lachha paratha
- take a dough ball. roll it into 6 to 7 inches diameter disc on a dusted rolling board.
- apply ghee or oil liberally on the paratha disc. sprinkle some flour on the top.
- from the edges start to fold & pleat the paratha till the end.
- roll the pleated edges tightly. join the edges.
- lightly dust with flour and now roll into round parathas of about 4 to 5 inches in diameter.
roasting lachha paratha on griddle
- heat the tava or griddle. the tava should be hot. place the paratha on the tava.
- turn the paratha when one side is partly cooked. apply ghee on this side. cook for a minute.
- now turn again and apply ghee on the other side.
- flip again for a couple of times, till the parathas are browned evenly and well cooked. press the sides with the spatula while frying the parathas.
- alternatively, you could also add some ghee on the tava and then fry the paratha.
- serve the lachha paratha hot with any indian dal or a vegetable curry of your choice.