poha recipe with step by step photos – kanda poha is an easy, delicious and a popular maharashtrian breakfast recipe.
i have grown up having poha for breakfast apart from idli, dosa and upma. my mom used to make poha often for breakfast or for brunch. either it used to be made with onions or potato or both with onions and potato.
poha is the maharashtrian word for flattened or beaten rice and kanda means onions. hence the term kanda poha or kanda pohe (pohe being plural of poha).
poha is a light breakfast which is easy and quick to prepare and taste good too.
tips for making poha recipe
- when making poha after rinsing them well, press a grain and if it gets crushed/mashed easily then it is be soft enough to be cooked. otherwise if it is dry and does not get mashed easily then sprinkle little water over it and mix well.
- i usually rinse the poha in a strainer or colander under running water and don’t soak them in water. rinsing the poha grains softens them easily.
- you can also add boiled peas or grated carrot when making this poha recipe. this makes this dish more healthy and nutritious.
- i have also added grated coconut in the poha but this is optional.
- i use both red and white poha to make kanda poha. i have updated this post with step by step pics, where the poha is made with white poha but the final pics have the poha made with red poha.
if you are looking for more poha recipes then do check
INGREDIENTS FOR poha recipe
- 1.5 cups thick poha - red or white beaten rice or flattened rice
- 1 large onion - finely chopped (kanda or pyaaz)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 2 or 2.5 tablespoon peanuts (moongphali)
- 10 to 12 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 green chilli (hari mirch), chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar or as required
- 1 or 1.5 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
HOW TO MAKE poha recipe
preparation for poha recipe
- rinse the poha in water till they soften.
- they should loose their crunchiness and when you break them between your finger, they should easily get crushed or mashed.
- now add sugar, salt and turmeric powder to the poha and gently mix.
- dry roast the peanuts in a pan till they become crunchy.
making poha recipe
- heat oil in the same pan.
- crackle the mustard seeds first.
- then add onions and saute them till they become translucent.
- add curry leaves and green chilies. saute for half a minute.
- add the roasted peanuts and stir.
- add the poha and stir.
- cover and steam the poha for 2-3 minutes on a low flame.
- when cooking check after 1 or 1.5 minutes and give a stir again.
- switch off the fire and let the kanda poha remain covered for 1-2 minutes.
- remove the lid and sprinkle some lemon juice, coriander leaves and grated coconut on poha.
- give a gentle stir and serve kanda poha hot with tea.
preparation for making poha recipe
1. rinse the poha in water till they soften.
5. heat oil in the same pan.
10. add the roasted peanuts and stir.
15. remove the lid and sprinkle some lemon juice, coriander leaves and grated coconut.