Poha recipe With step by step photos – poha is a popular Maharashtrian breakfast recipe made from red or white flattened rice, herbs and spices.
This recipe is for kanda poha. poha is the Maharashtrian word for flattened or beaten rice and Kanda means onions. Hence the term Kanda poha or Kanda pohe (pohe being plural of Poha).
In some variations of poha recipe potato is added instead of onions. Some people like to add both onions and potatoes. So there are many variations of making poha. E.g. If you are adding potatoes then you can either fry them or boil them and then add.
I have grown up having poha for breakfast apart from idli, dosa and upma. My mom used to make poha often for breakfast or for brunch. Either it used to be made with onions or potato or both with onions and potato.
Poha is a light breakfast that is easy and quick to prepare and taste good too. To make it more nutritious you can add potatoes, boiled peas, grated carrots, roasted peanuts and garnish with coriander leaves (cilantro leaves) and grated coconut.
Tips for making poha recipe
- When making poha after rinsing them well, press a grain and if it gets crushed/mashed easily then it is soft enough to be cooked. Otherwise if it is dry and does not get mashed easily then sprinkle little water over it and mix well.
- I usually rinse the poha in a strainer or colander under running water and don’t soak them in water. Rinsing the poha grains softens them easily.
- You can also add boiled peas or grated carrot when making this poha recipe. This makes this dish more healthy and nutritious.
- I have also added grated coconut in the poha but this is optional.
- I use both red and white poha to make kanda poha. i have updated this post with step by step pics, where the poha is made with white poha but the final pics have the poha made with red poha.
How to make poha
1. Rinse the poha (flattened rice) in water till they soften.
2. They should loose their crunchiness and when you break them between your finger, they should easily get crushed or mashed. Keep aside.
3. Now add sugar, salt and turmeric powder to the poha and gently mix.
4. Dry roast the peanuts in a pan till they become crunchy.
5. Heat oil in the same pan.
6. Crackle the mustard seeds first.
7. Then add onions and saute them till they become translucent.
8. Add curry leaves and green chilies.
9. Saute for half a minute.
10. Add the roasted peanuts and stir.
12. Cover and steam the poha for 2 to 3 minutes on a low flame.
13. When the poha is cooking check after 1 or 1.5 minutes and give a stir again. Again close the pan and let it cook.
14. Switch off the fire and let the kanda poha remain covered for 1 to 2 minutes.
15. Remove the lid and sprinkle some lemon juice, coriander leaves and grated coconut.
Give a gentle stir and Serve kanda poha hot with tea.
Few more Poha recipes
- 1.5 cups thick poha - red or white beaten rice or flattened rice
- 1 large onion - finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 or 2.5 tablespoon peanuts
- 10 to 12 curry leaves
- 1 green chilli - chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar or as required
- 1 or 1.5 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
- 2 to 3 tablespoons coriander leaves (cilantro leaves)
- lemon juice as required
- grated coconut as required
preparation for poha recipe
- Rinse the poha in water till they soften.
- They should loose their crunchiness and when you break them between your finger, they should easily get crushed or mashed.
- Now add sugar, salt and turmeric powder to the poha and gently mix.
- Dry roast the peanuts in a pan till they become crunchy.
making poha recipe
- Heat oil in the same pan.
- Crackle the mustard seeds first.
- Then add onions and saute them till they become translucent.
- Add curry leaves and green chilies. Saute for half a minute.
- Add the roasted peanuts and stir.
- Add the poha and stir.
- Cover and steam the poha for 2-3 minutes on a low flame.
- When cooking check after 1 or 1.5 minutes and give a stir again.
- Switch off the fire and let the kanda poha remain covered for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the lid and sprinkle some lemon juice, coriander leaves and grated coconut on poha.
- Give a gentle stir and serve kanda poha hot with tea.