palak paratha recipe with step by step photos. palak paratha or spinach paratha is another excellent variation of paratha where you can include some healthy greens in the paratha.
palak ka paratha is specially good for children who are usually not fond of spinach. the paratha is one type of unleavened indian flat bread in which different stuffings are added. depending on the stuffing added, the paratha gets its name. so there is:
parathas are typical breakfast dish in north india specially in punjabi families. in punjab, they use a lot of ghee to fry the parathas till they are browned very well and serve them with white butter or curd or pickle.
you can also use oil to fry them, like i do. these parathas are little crisp in taste as my mil fried them in extra oil. otherwise, if you use less oil then they are not that crisp.
when making parathas, its better to follow the rolling and folding technique. while rolling the dough, apply some oil or ghee and fold the dough. this way you get layered parathas and with a soft texture inside. here we made square shaped parathas as explained in this ajwain paratha post. you can also make triangular parathas as explained in this plain paratha recipe.
the palak parathas can be had with lemon or mango pickle or even with curd or white butter. i made this paratha for a short trip. parathas don’t get spoiled easily and are often made for lunch boxes or for one day journeys.
if you are looking for similar recipes then do check:
palak paratha recipe below:
palak paratha recipe | spinach paratha recipe
palak ka paratha recipe - unleavened indian flat bread made with spinach. no onion no garlic recipe.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (atta)
- 200 to 250 grams spinach or palak
- 1 or 2 green chilies, finely chopped (hari mirch) optional
- ¼ teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
- 2 teaspoon oil or ghee for kneading dough
- 4 teaspoon oil or ghee while folding the parathas
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) - optional
- salt as required
- oil or ghee for frying the parathas
how to make recipe
making palak puree for paratha:
rinse the spinach leaves very well in water. drain them.
heat water and boil the spinach leaves in hot water for 5 to 7 minutes.
strain and keep some of the stock in which we have boiled the spinach leaves.
puree the spinach in a blender.
kneading dough and rolling spinach paratha
in a large bowl mix the whole wheat flour with salt, carom seeds, green chili and asafoetida.
add the spinach puree and 2 tsp oil. mix well.
add required amount of stock or water and make a smooth dough.
take a medium size ball from the dough. roll the dough ball into a small circle.
spread some oil or ghee on the top of the rolled dough. i have used ghee.
fold from both sides. apply the oil or ghee on the folded side.
again fold from one side. you will get a square shape. roll into a medium sized parathas.
making palak paratha:
place the palak paratha on a hot tava.
once you see some bubbles on the paratha and its 1/4th cooked, then flip it.
drizzle some oil or ghee on the top side. i used ghee to roast the paratha.
when the second side is half cooked then flip again.
again apply some oil or ghee on the top side (or second side).
press the paratha edges with the spatula or back of a spoon so that the palak paratha cooks evenly from all sides. you can flip a couple of times for even cooking.
cook palak ka paratha till they are crisp and brown from both sides.
make all palak parathas this way.
serve the palak paratha hot with yogurt or pickle. you can also stack the palak parathas in a roti basket or casserole and serve them warm later.
how to make spinach paratha or palak paratha recipe:
1. rinse 200 to 250 grams spinach leaves very well in water and then drain them.
2. heat water and boil the spinach leaves in hot water for 5 to 7 minutes. strain and keep some of the stock in which we have boiled the spinach leaves.
3. add the blanched spinach leaves to the blender.
4. make a smooth puree without adding any water.
5. in a large bowl, take 2 cups of whole wheat flour (atta), ¼ teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain), 1-2 finely chopped green chili (if using), 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing) and salt as required. mix them.
6. then add the spinach puree and 2 tsp oil. mix well.
7. add required amount of stock or water.
8. knead into a smooth dough.
9. take a medium size ball from the dough.
10. roll the dough ball into a small circle. sprinkle some flour while rolling the dough ball.
11. spread some oil or ghee on the top of the rolled dough. i have used ghee.
12. fold from both sides.
13. apply the oil or ghee on the folded side.
14. again fold from one side. you will get a square shape.
15. roll into a medium sized parathas.
16. place the palak ka paratha on a hot tava.
17. once you see some bubbles on the paratha and its 1/4th cooked, then flip it.
18. drizzle some oil or ghee on the top side. i used ghee to roast the paratha.
19. when the second side is half cooked then flip again.
20. again apply some oil or ghee on the top side (or second side).
21. press the paratha edges with the spatula or back of a spoon so that the palak paratha cooks evenly from all sides. you can flip a couple of times for even cooking.
22. cook palak ka paratha till they are crisp and brown from both sides.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe