Gobi paratha recipe with step by step photos – cauliflower paratha is unleavened whole wheat flatbread stuffed with a spiced grated cauliflower filling.
Gobi paratha is another popular paratha from Punjab along with Aloo paratha, Paneer paratha and Onion paratha. gobi paratha is often made for breakfast in Punjabi homes as well as served in restaurants and Punjabi dhabas.
I first learnt how to make gobi paratha from my mom in law. I knew how to make aloo paratha but not gobi paratha. I always thought making gobi paratha was very difficult and honestly never ever tried to make it.
It was after I saw my mom-in-law making the gobi paratha, did i realize that making them is very easy and not at all difficult.
I learnt and saw my mom in law making so many paratha varieties. i came to know that are many varieties of paratha recipes. I have shared almost all of them like:
How is gobi paratha made
In Punjabi homes, while making gobi paratha, the gobi is not sautéed or cooked before. The grated gobi is directly added as a stuffing. Cooking gobi and then adding it as a stuffing makes a lot of difference to the final taste of the parathas. Parathas made with a cooked gobi mixture cannot be compared taste wise to the parathas made with raw grated gobi, which tastes awesome. Since I have made both ways I know the difference. So to get the best taste in the parathas I would suggest not to cook the gobi.
To make this Punjabi gobi paratha, the Gobi is grated finely. I usually use a hand grater for this purpose and avoid grating in the food processor which I have. For some reason, the food processor gratings are larger than the hand grated ones. The cauliflower has to be grated finely or else when making the parathas break.
Gobhi paratha are usually made for breakfast, but I made this for dinner, as was too tired to cook an elaborate meal. Gobi parathas are served with white butter or curd or mango pickle.
How to make gobi paratha
Making gobi stuffing
1. Firstly rinse ½ of a cauliflower head very well. Check insects and worms in the cauliflower and if there, then discard that part. Rinse very well and then drain the water very well.
2. Then grate the cauliflower pieces using a fine grater.
3. Keep the grated cauliflower in a bowl.
4. Add 1 finely chopped green chili to it. Uniformly mix the green chilies with the gobi. Keep aside. For a spicy taste, you can add 2 green chilies.
5. In a bowl or vessel take 3 cups whole wheat flour along with salt as required.
6. Add 1 tablespoon ghee or oil.
7. Next add 1 cup water or as required.
8. Knead the wheat flour with water to a smooth dough. cover and keep aside for 20 to 30 mins.
Rolling gobi paratha
9. Later take 2 small to medium sized balls from the dough.
10. Dust them with some flour on the rolling board.
11. With a rolling pin, roll both the dough balls to a size of about 3 to 4 inches in diameter.
12. Now spread some ghee (clarified butter) over one of the rolled disc.
13. Top it with a few tablespoons of the grated cauliflower mix and keep about 1 inch empty space from the sides.
14. Sprinkle 1 to 2 pinches of salt, red chili powder and garam masala powder all over on the grated cauliflower.
15. Also sprinkle some wheat flour. As the grated cauliflower tends to be moist, sprinkling little wheat flour helps the parathas not to be moist and sticky when rolling with a pin.
16. Cover with the other rolled dough.
17. Press and seal the edges very well with your fingertips.
18. Dust some flour on the stuffed paratha and start rolling the gobi paratha. i find this stuffing technique easier than the one where you fill the cauliflower stuffing in a rolled dough ball. But you choose what is easier for you.
19. Now with a rolling pin, roll very gently and lightly till you get the paratha to a size of a chapati or roti. You have to be a little quick enough to roll out the paratha as we have added salt to the gobi and thus it releases some water.
Roasting gobi paratha
20. So before the juices are released from the gobi, your paratha should be on the hot pan. Place the gobi paratha on a hot griddle, tava or flat pan. The tawa has to be hot and on full flame. Trust me making gobi paratha is easy and not at all difficult. once you get the knack, you will be a master in making any parathas 🙂
21. Let the gobi paratha cook partly, about ¼.
22. When the bottom side is ¼ cooked, flip the gobi paratha and apply ghee on the cooked side. be liberal with the ghee. A paratha is not complete without ghee and especially good amounts of ghee, so don’t be a miser. You can also use oil instead of ghee.
23. Flip the second time. So now the side, where ghee is applied goes at the bottom.
24. Apply ghee on the top side.
25. Flip for the third time and then a fourth time making sure that the gobi paratha is cooked evenly and well browned. make sure that the edges of paratha are cooked well. You can also press the gobhi paratha edges with spatula or spoon. if the gobhi paratha is fried properly then it will slightly puff up.
26. Roast the gobhi ka paratha very well till you see golden or brownish-black blisters on top. Make all gobhi paratha this way. Stack the parathas in a roti basket.
27. Serve Gobi paratha hot or warm with curd, pickle or white butter.
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you want more delicious vegetarian Indian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
for the wheat dough
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup water or add more if required
- salt as required (optional)
- 1 tablespoon ghee or oil or add as required (optional)
for gobhi paratha stuffing
- ½ of a cauliflower head, finely grated
- 1 green chili, chopped finely
- garam masala powder as required
- red chili powder as required
- salt to taste
for roasting the paratha
- ghee as required (clarified butter)
- In a bowl or vessel take 3 cups whole wheat flour along with salt as required. add 1 tablespoon ghee or oil.
- Next add 1 cup water or as required. knead the wheat flour with water to a smooth dough.
- Cover and keep aside for 20 to 30 minutes.
making gobi paratha stuffing
- Rinse the cauliflower head very well.
- Then grate cauliflower with a fine grater.
- Add some finely chopped green chilies to it.
- Uniformly mix the green chilies with the gobi. Keep aside.
making gobi paratha
- later take 2 small to medium sized balls from the dough. dust them with some flour on the rolling board.
- With a rolling pin (belan), roll both the dough balls to a size of about 3 to 4 inches in diameter.
- Now spread some ghee over one of the rolled disc. top it with a few tablespoons of the grated cauliflower mix and keep about 1 inch empty space from the sides.
- Sprinkle 1 to 2 pinches of salt, red chili powder and garam masala powder all over on the grated gobi.
- Also sprinkle some wheat flour. As the grated cauliflower tend to be moist, sprinkling little wheat flour helps the parathas not to be moist and sticky when rolling with a pin (belan).
- Be careful as not to understuff or overstuff the paratha. cover with the other rolled dough (disc).
- Press and seal the edges very well with your fingertips.
- Dust some flour on the stuffed paratha and start rolling the gobi paratha with the help of a rolling pin (belan). Roll very gently and lightly till you get the paratha to a size of a chapati or roti.
roasting gobi paratha
- On a hot tava (tawa or skillet or griddle) place the rolled gobi paratha.
- Roast the gobhi paratha with ghee till browned and uniformly roasted on both sides.
- You can also press the gobhi paratha edges with a spatula or spoon, so that they are fried well. As some time, the paratha edges are not cooked well.
- Make all gobhi paratha this way and stack them up in a roti basket or casserole.
- Serve gobi paratha hot with yogurt, pickle or white butter.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.