aloo matar dry recipe with step by step photos – tangy, tasty and mildly spiced dry sabzi of baby potatoes with green peas.
i make this dry potato peas curry – known as sukha aloo matar often. this recipe is a much loved and liked recipe of mine. best is to make this with baby potatoes and fresh peas. by the way for my readers who do not know – in hindi, aloo is potatoes and matar is peas… 🙂
to make this tasty dry aloo matar curry, the spice powders are easily available in the indian kitchen.
this north indian no onion no garlic recipe is mildly spiced, a bit tangy and flavorful. dry aloo matar goes well with bread, phulkas or even pooris. also can be had as a side dish with dal tadka & jeera rice.
aloo matar dry recipe below:
aloo matar dry recipe | aloo mutter recipe | aloo matar sabzi recipe
dry aloo matar recipe - tangy, tasty and mildly spiced dry sabzi of baby potatoes with green peas.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 10 to 12 baby potatoes or 3 medium sized potatoes (aloo)
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen peas (matar)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder) or add as required
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur)
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 green chili (hari mirch), chopped, can also add 2 green chilies
- 1 inch ginger (adrak), chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- rock salt or black salt or salt as required
how to make recipe
preparation for aloo matar dry recipe:
wash the baby potatoes thoroughly. keep their skin intact. chop them into two.
rinse the green peas as well. also chop the green chilies and ginger. keep aside.
making aloo matar dry recipe:
heat oil in a pan. fry the cumin seeds first. then add the potatoes and peas and stir. saute for 7 to 8 minutes.
- add chopped green chili & ginger and stir for a minute.
now add red chili powder, cumin powder and coriander powder. stir again for a minute. now add ⅓ to ⅔ cup water.
- cover tightly and simmer the veggies for 20-25 minutes or till done.
- in between do check. the water may dry depending on the size of your pan.
if the water dries up, then add some more water. about ¼ or ⅓ cup.
- once the potatoes and peas are cooked and the mixture is totally dry,
then finally add salt, dry mango powder (amchur powder) and garam masala powder.
- mix well and the add chaat masala powder.
garnish aloo matar ki sabzi with chopped coriander leaves.
while serving aloo mutter serve with lime wedges if you prefer.
- aloo matar sabzi will go well with rotis, parathas or as a side dish with dal rice combo or kadhi-rice combo.
tips for making aloo matar dry recipe:
- you can also make this aloo matar sabzi in a pressure cooker. after adding water, cover the cooker with a lid and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles till done.
- the proportion of the spice powders can be adjusted to suit your preferences.
- if making this aloo matar sabzi for religious fasting or vrat than use rock salt/sendha namak and avoid adding any ingredient which you don't use for fasting days in your family.
this rough nutrition info is per serving of aloo matar:
stepwise aloo matar sabzi or dry aloo matar recipe:
1: heat oil in a pan. splutter cumin seeds. now add chopped baby potatoes and peas (matar).
2: mix well.
3: saute for some 7-8 minutes. add chopped green chilies and ginger.
4: stir for a minute.
5: now add red chili powder, coriander powder and cumin powder. stir for a minute.
6: add about ⅓ to ⅔ cup of water.
7: cover the pan tightly and let the aloo and matar simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes. in between do check and if the water dries up, then add some more water. once the veggies are cooked and the mixture is totally dry, then add salt, garam masala powder and dry mango powder (amchur powder).
8: stir and lastly add some chaat masala powder.
9: garnish aloo matar sabzi with coriander leaves. serve dry aloo matar hot or warm with phulkas, pooris or even bread. it can also be served as a side dish with dal-rice combo or kadhi-chawal combo. back home, we have aloo matar with rotis and plain curd.