rava uttapam recipe with step by step photos – easy, quick and tasty uttapams made with rava (sooji or cream of wheat).
ever since i first made these quick uttapams, i have made them quite a number of times later. these jhatpat uttapams have a lot of pluses.
- first very good to taste. the number one factor that should be there in any recipe.
- quick to make.
- on cooling down, they still remain soft. so good for tiffin box snack.
- no grinding.
- no fermentation.
- just a soaking period of 30 minutes for the rava.
for making these instant uttapams, you will need fine sooji or rava. most such recipes which do not require fermentation, use yogurt or buttermilk. however, i have used lemon juice and i feel the lemon juice ones taste better than the uttapams made with yogurt. baking soda is essential in the recipe. if you do not have baking soda, then you could use fruit salt (eno) too. few more delicious uttapam variations on blog are:
these instant uttapams can be made plain or topped with onions, tomatoes or mixed grated veggies. i have shown both the plain as well as onion-tomato version in the stepwise pics. with the recipe you can even make mini uttapams. the recipe can be doubled or tripled too.
do try these uttapams and you as well as your family will love them. you can serve rava uttapam with coconut chutney or mint coriander chutney.
if you are looking for more south indian recipes then do check:
rava uttapam recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
main ingredients for rava uttapam
- ½ cup fine variety of rava (or sooji) or 100 grams (rava is not roasted)
- ½ cup water
- 3 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda or ⅛ teaspoon eno or fruit salt
- salt as per taste
- oil or ghee for greasing the pan and drizzling
optional ingredients for rava uttapam
- 1 small onion, chopped or 5 to 6 pearl onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
how to make rava uttapam recipe
preparation for rava uttapam
- mix the rava and water in a bowl.
- keep the batter to rest for 30 minutes.
- meanwhile when the batter is resting, you can slice or chop the onions, tomatoes and green chilies.
- mix the chopped veggies and keep aside.
- after 30 minutes, stir the batter again.
- then add 3 tsp lemon juice, salt and 1/4 tsp baking soda or 1/8 tsp eno (fruit salt).
- stir and mix very well.
making rava uttapam
- heat a tawa or griddle and spread some oil. you can also use a non stick pan.
- take the batter in a large serving spoon.
- pour the batter and spread it gently. don't spread too much.
when the batter is still raw from the top, add the onions-tomatoes-green chilies mix.
gently press the onions-tomatoes with the spatula, so that they stick to the batter.
- drizzle some oil on the sides and the top.
when the base is cooked and lightly browned, flip the uttapam gently.
- cook till the onions and tomatoes are light golden or golden.
flip and serve rava uttapam hot. if you want you can flip a couple of times too for even cooking.
- for making plain rava uttapam, cook the uttapams without any toppings.
- serve rava uttapam with coconut chutney or coriander chutney. they also go well with tomato ketchup.
tips for making rava uttapam recipe
- if making uttapam for kids then skip or reduce green chilies.
- you can also add chopped coriander leaves.
- mix grated veggies like carrots, beetroots and finely shredded cabbage or finely chopped capsicum can also be added.
- you can also add grated cheese or paneer in the toppings.
- uttapam recipe can be doubled or tripled.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url - rava uttapam recipe on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.
how to make rava uttapam recipe
1. take ½ cup fine variety of rava in a bowl. do note the rava to be added is not roasted rava.
2. add ½ cup water.
3. mix well and keep the batter to rest for 30 minutes. you can even keep the batter for an hour.
4. meanwhile when the batter is resting, you can slice or chop the onions/shallots, tomatoes and green chilies. here i have used shallots.
5. mix the chopped veggies and keep aside.
6. after 30 minutes, stir the batter again. by now the rava/sooji will absorb water and the batter will thicken. if the batter looks thin, then just add a few tablespoons of sooji. if very thick, then add a few tablespoons of water.
7. then add 3 tsp lemon juice.
8. season with salt.
9. mix very well.
10. next add ¼ tsp baking soda or ⅛ tsp eno (fruit salt). you can also add ⅛ tsp baking soda, but the uttapam will be less light and soft.
11. stir and again mix very well.
making rava uttapam
12. heat a tawa or griddle and spread some oil. you can also use a non stick pan. for non stick pan, do not use oil for spreading.
13. take the batter in a large serving spoon.
14. pour the batter and spread it gently. don’t spread too much.
15. when the batter is still raw on the top, quickly add the onions-tomatoes-green chilies mix.
16. gently press with a spatula so that the onions and tomatoes stick to the batter. drizzle some oil on the sides and the top.
17. when the base is cooked and lightly browned, flip gently. cook till the onions and tomatoes are light golden or golden.
18. flip and serve the instant rava uttapam hot. if you want you can flip a couple of times too for even cooking.
for making plain rava uttapam
19. spread the batter evenly on the hot tava.
20. on a medium flame cook the uttapam.
21. drizzle some oil on the uttapam.
22. flip when the base is light golden and the top is almost done or cooked well.
23. flip again once or twice.
24. serve plain rava uttapam hot or warm. you can also stack the plain uttapams in a casserole and serve later.
25. serve rava uttapam with coconut chutney or coriander chutney. they also go well with tomato ketchup. for more tasty rava recipes you can check this collection of 31 rava recipes.