semiya upma or vermicelli upma recipe with step by step pics. making upma with semiya is another delicious version of the popular south indian breakfast recipe of upma. traditionally upma is made from rava (cream of wheat), but you can also make it with vermicelli (seviyan) and it tastes yum.
semiya are either made from whole wheat flour (atta) or maida (all purpose flour) or rava (sooji). while making semiya upma, i prefer semiya made from whole wheat flour as they are more healthy than the ones made from maida.
i make upma many times for breakfast. in maharashtra, upma and poha are two popular breakfast recipes. upma is traditionally served with coconut chutney or lime pickle or lime slices. it can also be had plain. ideally it should be eaten hot or warm.
semiya upma is light on stomach. also this vermicelli upma recipe which i have shared in this post is quick to prepare. you can serve semiya upma hot with coconut chutney or accompanied with lemon wedges or lemon pickle.
if you like upma then you can check these other variaitions of upma recipes like:
semiya upma recipe below:
semiya upma recipe | vermicelli upma recipe
semiya upma is an easy and delicious upma variety. its also called as vermicelli upma or seviyan upma.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 cup broken semiya, seviyan or whole wheat vermicelli or 185 grams semiya, you can also use rice vermicelli
- 2 tablespoons oil or ghee
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 teaspoon urad dal (husked and split black gram)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped or ⅓ cup finely chopped onions
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger (adrak) or ½ inch ginger, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- 1 dry red chili (sookhi lal mirch), whole or broken and seeds removed - optional
- 7 to 8 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) - optional
- 2 cups water or add as required
- ½ teaspoon sugar (optional) or add as required
- salt as required
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- few lemon wedges while serving seviyan upma
how to make recipe
firstly heat a heavy kadai or pan. keep the flame to a low. take the semiya strands and break them. add the semiya strands in the kadai.
on a low flame begin to roast the semiya. stir often when roasting vermicelli.
roast till the semiya strands becomes golden. some strands won’t become golden but its fine as they will be roasted and cooked.
remove the roasted semiya in a separate bowl or plate. keep aside.
making semiya upma recipe:
- heat oil or ghee in a pan.
add the mustard seeds and let them begin to crackle.
then add urad dal and cumin seeds. fry them till they get browned.
when the urad dal begins to become light golden, then add cashews.
mix well and fry till the urad dal turns golden.
then add chopped onions.
next add curry leaves, ginger, green chill, red chili and asafoetida.
mix very well and sauté till the onions become translucent
now add water, salt and sugar and let the mixture come to a rolling boil.
- lower the flame and add the roasted vermicelli.
- stir and cook the vermicelli till they become soft and all the water is absorbed.
- keep on stirring in between.
when the vermicelli is cooked completely and all the water is absorbed, switch off the flame and add chopped coriander leaves to semiya upma.
serve the semiya upma garnished with a few coriander leaves along with some lemon or lime wedges.
how to make vermicelli upma or semiya upma recipe:
1. firstly heat a heavy kadai or pan. keep the flame to a low. take the semiya strands and break them. add the semiya strands in the kadai. you will need 1 cup of broken semiya strands or 185 grams semiya. you can also use rice semiya instead of whole wheat semiya.
2. on a low flame begin to roast the semiya.
3. stir often when roasting vermicelli.
4. roast till the semiya strands becomes golden. some strands won’t become golden but its fine as they will be roasted and cooked.
5. remove the roasted semiya in a separate bowl or plate. keep aside.
6. now in the same kadai add 2 tablespoons oil or ghee. keep the flame to low or medium-low. then add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds.
7. let the mustard seeds begin to crackle.
8. when the mustard seeds start crackling, then add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds and 1 teaspoon urad dal.
9. stir and fry till the urad dal starts turning light golden.
10. as soon as urad dal starts turning light golden, at that time add cashews. you can also add roasted peanuts instead of cashews.
11. mix well.
12. then fry till urad dal turns golden stirring often.
13. now add ⅓ cup finely chopped onions.
14. stir and mix.
15. then add ½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger, 1 green chili (chopped), 7 to 8 curry leaves (chopped) and 1 dry red chili (broken and seeds removed). ginger can be skipped if you do not like its flavor.
16. mix again.
17. now add 1 pinch asafoetida (optional). mix well.
18. on a low flame sauté till the onions turn translucent.
19. then add 2 cups water. you can add water as per the vermicelli package instructions. so add water as required.
20. then add ½ teaspoon sugar or add as per taste.
21. add salt as required.
22. mix well.
23. increase the flame to medium-high or high and bring the water mixture to a rolling boil.
24. then lower the flame and add the roasted semiya.
25. mix very well.
26. keep the flame to low or medium-low and let the semiya cook.
27. stir at intervals when the semiya is cooking.
28. simmer till all the water is absorbed and the semiya has become soft and cooked well.
29. then switch off the flame and add 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves.
30. mix again.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe