rava toast recipe with step by step photos – actually this recipe of rava or sooji toast should have been an earlier post. i missed adding this post somehow strangely, considering the fact that i have been making this recipe from my teens.
this rava toast was and still is one of our favorite breakfast recipes. on one of the tv shows, i had seen one elderly lady making this recipe. i found it ridiculously easy to make and from thence on, i have made these crisp toasts. both me and my sister would make these easy to make toasts for breakfast or an evening snack. specially on those days when mom would be busy or gone out for some work.
the rava toast recipe calls for simple ingredients like onion, tomatoes and rava (sooji or semolina or cream of wheat). along with these ingredients, cream is also added. you can also add malai instead of cream.
the choice of bread is yours – white bread, whole wheat bread, brown bread or whole wheat sandwich bread. you can use fresh bread or even a few days old bread.
if you are looking for more snacks recipes then do check:
for rava toast filling
- 1 small to medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small to medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1 green chili (hari mirch) - finely chopped
- 2 to 3 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 2 to 2.5 tablespoon sooji (rava or cream of wheat)
- 2 to 2.5 tablespoon cream or malai - 25% to 30% low fat cream
- salt as required
other ingredients for rava toast
- 5 to 6 bread slices (white, whole wheat or brown bread)
- oil for frying the toast - ½ teaspoon oil for frying one slice and 1 to 1.5 teaspoon oil for frying two slices.
- add the rava, onion, tomatoes, green chilies, coriander, cream and salt in a bowl. mix and keep aside.
- heat a tava or frying pan. on a hot tava or griddle, add 1/2 tsp oil for each bread. so if toasting two breads, you can add 1 to 1.5 tsp oil.
- on the bread slices, spread the rava mixture evenly with a spoon.
- place the filling side down and cook it till the onion tomatoes are lightly browned.
- turn over and toast the bread on the other side. you can flip once or twice and cook more if required.
- remove the rava toast. continue to making the rava toasts this way.
- slice the toast into triangular or rectangular pieces.
- serve the rava toast slices hot with green chutney or tomato ketchup.
- this rava toast recipe can be doubled or tripled.
- for kids, skip the green chili and you can just add a pinch of red chili powder or black pepper powder.
how to make rava toast
1. add the rava, onion, tomatoes, green chilies, coriander, cream and salt in a bowl.
2. mix very well and keep aside.
3. on the bread slices, spread the mixture evenly with a spoon.
4. on a hot tava or griddle, add 1/2 tsp oil for each bread. place the filling side down and cook till the onion tomatoes are lightly browned.
5. turn over and toast the bread on the other side.
6. the bread is nicely toasted. you can flip once or twice and cook more if required. the onions can be caramelized and the bread can be toasted more.
7. remove the rava toast.
8. slice and serve the rava toast slices hot with green chutney or tomato ketchup or pudina chutney.